• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

understable midrange: what's in your bag?

pspunch

Double Eagle Member
i'm recently finding myself in the market for an understable midrange but haven't thrown many. i've got a 167 panther that kind of fills the spot, but i want a heavier disc and maybe a little more understable. i'd like to stick with premium plastic and by no means am i looking to fill the spot with a "beat in" this or that.

purpose for the disc: hyzer flips, flattened hyzers, anny approach shots with little/no fade, broadening my exposure to the understable world

initially i was thinking 175 star/echo kite, or maybe a star wedge. i wouldn't mind some input from lat64 fans and the discrafters. maybe a buzzz ss to compliment my esp buzzz

Fuse is a great disc from latitude. Has a ton of glide. Holds lines great. It takes some practise to throw this disc but its amazing once you get it.

I am using a beat X comet at the moment but...

you should go old school and get a dx stingray.

172g ESP Meteor in my bag. Should be just what you're looking for.

after reading this i started reading other meteor posts... you might be right!

sounds like it's a good understable pairing for the buzzz (which is my primary mid). any thoughts on meteor vs buzzz ss?

I need to get to the store this weekend and lay hands on some plastic!

I carry a meteor as well. you could look for a similar weight mako. those will hold whatever line you put out there, they are VERY predictable

Yep, as others have said, an X comet works great for the types of shots your described (actually a Z comet works well too). I use both X and Z comets for those shots - and many others. Comets are awesome.

Comet, Meteor, or as I prefer, the SS Buzzz.

Considering the fact that you want it in premium plastic, I would go with either the ESP Meteor, or Star Kite. I favor the Meteor, of the two, but a co-worker of mine can do awesome things with his Kite.

i carry ESP Meteor and a beat roc but for what your looking for id say ESP Meteor.. havent thrown the Fuse but hear great things.. if your looking for buzzz feel the Meteor would be right up your alley

I use a gold Fuse that I like a lot. I have been experimenting with an ABC Flying Squirrel lately. It is more understable than the fuse and I like Lat's gold line plastic better than ABC's gold line. The fuse has little fade when I hyzer-flip it but the squirrel is even less which can be nice. I don't see it replacing my fuse but I do enjoy throwing it.

Comet, best understable mid. I carry a Z and a beat Elite-X. Both have their place. The Z is max weight and decently overstable for a comet, but still has fantastic glide. The Elite-X is fantastic to release with a bit of hyzer and watch it turn and slowly glide to the right. Highly recommend the comet to fill this spot.

Wedge works well, but is not really intended to go great distances.
For a distance mid-range, I use an ESP Comet.

Latest posts