• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable midranges

I use a DX (Ontario mold) Roc that is pretty beat, for this type of shot.

I love to see Roc lovers mention this disc.....I love the beat DX Ontario rocs.....this is one of my favorite discs in my bag...gotta love that gradual right turn and then the slight fade back at the end.....these are very reliable and will always do the same thing.....great for long anny shots around trees and obstacles.

I feel your pain, bro...

You may already have found your disk, but here's my 2 cents nonetheless.

There are two short range anhyzer discs that changed my game. (1) DX Stingray (Beat-up) and (2) DX Wolf 180g.

Stingray - For short anhyzers under 250, I believe there is no better disk. It naturally will turn right and with 5 glide, will pan out and hold the line when thrown under a 15ft ceiling. On a higher throw, it will "S" at the end for the snake shots through the woods.

DX Wolf 180g - Up to 300ft long left to rights (not as dog legged as the Stingray). It will fly very slow and is crazy controllable. I am an experienced Adv AM and still love these disks. Play with a beat Stingray and 3 DX wolfs.

Meteor's, Avenger SS's, Archangel's, Roadrunner's, etc are good for longer anhyzers, but the Stingray and the Wolf are hard to beat in terms of their consistency.

Hope that helps!

FM

I've been practicing this kind of shot all summer. Everyone has mentioned great discs for it so far. For the short range you mentioned, I'm finding that a worn dx XD works great and tends not to roll away as much. Found a love for the Stingray but I can't seem to make it turn soon enough for shorter turns...fantastic for 200' or more, but a Roadrunner can be finessed at that range and provide a a longer turn with more power (both can dog-leg hard with the right throw). Just picked up a Stratus and it was instant love. For my courses, the XD and Stratus are going to handle all of the turning I need...Roadrunner will make its way into the bag once in awhile, and I usually have a Leopard that can make do as well. I tried to like the Wedge but it just feels flimsy and awkward in my hand. I throw left backhand exclusively except for an occasional overhand.

Update

I went out to a park last Friday to work on my putt approach game. My main putter is an Omega SS 1.27, which is more flimsy than previous Omega versions. I pulled out a stiffer 1.25, and was able to throw some fairly accurate 150-175ft anhyzer shots. Really liked throwing this putter with steady control and glide after the apex coming in flat and settling down.

I'm finding that anhyzer shots are somewhat of a finesse shot and I'm trying to add this part to my game. This past weekend I played in a tournament and was able to use several anhyzer drives using a Champ Wraith. But getting back to midranges, I was able to pull off probably one of my best anhyzer approach shots using a Buzzz. I was shooting on a slope for about a 125ft approach shot, with about 40ft slope uphill, then turning left on an open flat fairway, a dog left shot (recall I am lefty). I put a slight anhyzer angle on the disc, slightly arching my back, and maybe this might be some OAT, but as I whip through, I try to put more spin on the disc at the release. It sailed uphill, flattening out at the apex and then turned left gliding flat towards the basket, landing 5ft, saving my par.

After throwing several anhyzer drives, putter approach shots, and the Buzzz shot above, I'm starting to get a feel for the anhyzer shot. At the end of the event I won a Champion Spider and a Star Coyote, haha go figure. So this week, I'm hoping to hit the field and try out these two new discs, maybe see how my unthrown DX stingray will fly and then try some long distance anhyzer drives.