• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

United States disc golf championships

Is pay per view at US dgc a good idea or not?

• Total voters
This tournament has always been the snake oil salesman of disc golf. I don't really feel so bad for those who keep going back to the same scheister and are surprised at the dissatisfying return. This course and production continues to make a mockery of our nations championship. Shame on all involved. IMO, of course.

"A mockery" might be a bit hyperbolic, my good man.

We're still in the infancy of true and righteous live disc golf coverage. Give it some time.

(Spoken by someone who never watches DG except for the Spin-TV stuff I stumble across on the local college station when I'm gearing up to go cut the lawn or whatever on a Saturday.)

Still. The game is going through these huge growth spurts, and the way it is covered - not to mention the investing/infrastructure - will all take time to sort of smooth out the wrinkles in order to make it seamless. Even the big networks still step on their peckers during live coverage of the NFL, for example. It's a tough gig.)

IMO.

This tournament has always been the snake oil salesman of disc golf. I don't really feel so bad for those who keep going back to the same scheister and are surprised at the dissatisfying return. This course and production continues to make a mockery of our nations championship. Shame on all involved. IMO, of course.

I had a great time. Went to the final round with my sister and her family. She lives in Davidson NC and is probably going to buy tickets to the DGPT championships this weekend. She does not play disc golf but was blown away with how big of an event it was.

. I thank the Ford family and their abominable Detroit Lions for helping me realize over the years that watching football, and eventually baseball too, is a waste of time, something better suited for a century in our rear-view mirrors..

I think you maybe said something even more prescient than any of us now realize.

It may well be that so called "spectator sports" are nearing a fork in the road with a choice between either a major overhaul in how the product is marketed or obsolescence.

Why watch 3.5 hours of commercial larded "coverage" of the NFL when you can see a summary of the impactful plays in 15 minutes?

I think the die hard fans will still attend games in person for a few decades yet but maybe Jomez-esque post produced viewing options are the future.

I doubt it. Live sports will always have the attraction that the future hasn't happened yet. You can watch and hope for an outcome that is as yet undetermined.

Disc golf has some particular hurdles, though. A tournament is much longer than a game in most sports, and even the final round of a tournament tends to be. There are no night games. And, currently, the audience is largely disc golfers, who might rather be playing than watching.

I doubt it. Live sports will always have the attraction that the future hasn't happened yet. You can watch and hope for an outcome that is as yet undetermined.

Disc golf has some particular hurdles, though. A tournament is much longer than a game in most sports, and even the final round of a tournament tends to be. There are no night games. And, currently, the audience is largely disc golfers, who might rather be playing than watching.

These are great points. Honestly the $25 bucks doesn't mean to much to me but my time and attention is important. Live sports are unique and that is what DGN offers. Ian uses the hook line, "Only here live on the Disc Golf Network" for a reason. The anticipation and excitement of watching live sports is exciting and enthralling and this is why fans will pay for that experience.

So for the DGN to now say we're "proud of the coverage" and "it is available now" is tone deaf. I didn't see the playoff hole and I still haven't seen it. I don't really care at this point because I know what happened and the moment has passed.

Regardless I think the the CEO of DGN's message afterwards is a weak one and I question the strength of the DGN leadership. Fans contracted with the DGN, not Vimeo, not Spectrum. These were not acts of God that caused the outages but technologies that are common and well understood. It's the responsibility of the DGN to deliver the content. To pretend that the problem was outside of their control is a sad attempt at obfuscation. The DGN's decisions to use the technology and the carriers they did was completely in their control and their negligence on this point is the real But-For cause of the outages.

I've personally not received any email from the DGN though I have been a subscriber going back to last season. Last year when I sent an email to complain about the pixelated and delayed content they responded with a boilerplate email saying I should try restarting my modem and making sure my internet service was adequate when everyone in the world knew it was a cell signal problem on their end causing the issue. I remember thinking, "Huh this is an upstart network and I just got this crap response like I would from Spectrum/Time Warner Cable. Not a good sign."

Unfortunately my premonition has proven prescient. As a fan of the sport, as well as the players on tour, I would love to see the DGN work out but at this point I question their leadership and I am not confident they can grow and get better.

FWIW, the reupload is worth a watch. Actually, thats what I often do when staying awake becomes problematic. I just watch the rest of it next morning. DGPT free youtube final rounds let me do it. And even though it has happened already, I am none the wiser and can relive at least some of it in my own little bubble.

This time however I was in a chat, trying to live it live, hencw new the winner. Still, as lukewarm as it was watching it after the fact, its still a mighty powerful watch. Even as it reminds me every second "how awesome it would have been to see this live. Never would forget it." Now I will just never forget how they dropped the ball right at the worst possible moment(s).

Sour grapes. People watched Conrad's shot over and over. People watch coverage of past tournaments (hence post pro success).

Missing it live is/was annoying. Lots of good points on DGN. They need to own the failure.

Explaining what transpired is not the same as passing the buck. They still have a chance to circle back and provide answers as to how these issues will be addressed in the future.

As far as watching live goes, I would tend to agree that post pro is better for all but the final day. I enjoy watching that live but it's difficult to find time to watch an entire round.

The one thing that's missing in post pro is when lead and chase card are battling. Being able to see that type of back and forth is entertaining.

"Annoying" is probably an understatement. Viewers have a right to be angry, particularly having paid a substantial PPV to watch it live. But.....

When my favorite football team loses, I'm upset. Even more so when it's on a boneheaded play. But I'm also pretty sure that the players and coaches who lost, fell a whole lot worse about it than I.

I figure that the USDGC folks and DGN folks who spent a year to get to that moment, aren't just shrugging it off.

It's been a whole 2 1/2 days. I'd give DGN some time to build on it and make sure it never happens again, to make amends as best they can and, as time goes by, gradually win back the trust of fans.

Annoying is an understatement—I'll grant that. Just couldn't come up with a more precise word for how I felt.

Others may have been livid or something of that nature.

My stream came back as they were showing the replay of Paul's putt. I knew instantly what happened and missed the drama. I was bummed.

I'm sorry for all those whose coverage went down. It was certainly not how we wanted to finish the Championship on our end, and I can clearly read the frustration and disappointment on your end out there. We experienced this problem before, and we did a heck of a lot of testing ahead of the Championship to try to prevent it. I know the team on the ground here was busting their butts to try to make a great save. I feel proud about the performance of the crew, Andrew's course set up, the amazing play in the Arena by the women and the open, and our partners at DGN, and yet this finishing bogey is hard to swallow. We already have some ideas to make the 24th USDGC better, and fortunately we have 51 weeks to make it happen. Again, I am sorry that this very important part of the USDGC did not deliver fully. Please keep the comments coming. I read and consider all of them ~ Harold Duvall

Hey are the people who had their stream dropped going to get their money back? If not, don't ever expect to get any $$ out of me for this event.

Annoying is an understatement—I'll grant that. Just couldn't come up with a more precise word for how I felt.

Others may have been livid or something of that nature.

My stream came back as they were showing the replay of Paul's putt. I knew instantly what happened and missed the drama. I was bummed.

That was my experience, too......except that I hadn't paid $25 for it, I was watching at someone else's house, on his dime. At that point we sort of knew what happened; we didn't know what had happened to Kyle, or why he didn't birdie too.

My point isn't that people shouldn't be annoyed or livid or somewhere in between. It's just to bear in mind that DGN and the USDGC probably feel the same, but more so. I know I would, if in their shoes.

Sour grapes. People watched Conrad's shot over and over. People watch coverage of past tournaments (hence post pro success).

Missing it live is/was annoying. Lots of good points on DGN. They need to own the failure.

Explaining what transpired is not the same as passing the buck. They still have a chance to circle back and provide answers as to how these issues will be addressed in the future.

As far as watching live goes, I would tend to agree that post pro is better for all but the final day. I enjoy watching that live but it's difficult to find time to watch an entire round.

The one thing that's missing in post pro is when lead and chase card are battling. Being able to see that type of back and forth is entertaining.

Sour grapes is to pretend disdain for something that someone can't have. No pretending here just genuine disappointment and frustration.

So are they being extorted by Vimeo or...? I don't understand such advanced technologies as the automated fragging of popular live events, so that's what I'm going with until I hear otherwise.

These are great points. Honestly the $25 bucks doesn't mean to much to me but my time and attention is important. Live sports are unique and that is what DGN offers. Ian uses the hook line, "Only here live on the Disc Golf Network" for a reason. The anticipation and excitement of watching live sports is exciting and enthralling and this is why fans will pay for that experience.

So for the DGN to now say we're "proud of the coverage" and "it is available now" is tone deaf. I didn't see the playoff hole and I still haven't seen it. I don't really care at this point because I know what happened and the moment has passed.

Regardless I think the the CEO of DGN's message afterwards is a weak one and I question the strength of the DGN leadership. Fans contracted with the DGN, not Vimeo, not Spectrum. These were not acts of God that caused the outages but technologies that are common and well understood. It's the responsibility of the DGN to deliver the content. To pretend that the problem was outside of their control is a sad attempt at obfuscation. The DGN's decisions to use the technology and the carriers they did was completely in their control and their negligence on this point is the real But-For cause of the outages.

I've personally not received any email from the DGN though I have been a subscriber going back to last season. Last year when I sent an email to complain about the pixelated and delayed content they responded with a boilerplate email saying I should try restarting my modem and making sure my internet service was adequate when everyone in the world knew it was a cell signal problem on their end causing the issue. I remember thinking, "Huh this is an upstart network and I just got this crap response like I would from Spectrum/Time Warner Cable. Not a good sign."

Unfortunately my premonition has proven prescient. As a fan of the sport, as well as the players on tour, I would love to see the DGN work out but at this point I question their leadership and I am not confident they can grow and get better.
As an european I couldn't care less about a live stream, I will not get up at night for any sports. Even as a big basketball fan I would not get up at night to watch any game 7 of a final (I would get up to see Kobe Bryant play again for sure though :( ). I did, several times, consider league pass to be able to watch games whenever I want - but I never spent the money because the stream was just not good enough and there were too many technical issues. Time is the other issue - even though a basketball game is way shorter than a round of discgolf...

It is not necessarily about money, it is about technical excellence, time consumption to watch and round the clock/year availability. Jomez, GK pro, Gatekeeper, CCDG, MoreDiscGolf and a couple more deliver and get my support.

A live stream is cool, and it is especially fun to tune in when things like playoffs happen. But as long long as discgolf doesn't reach the popularity of ball golf or other big sports - they are in my opinion not worth the trouble. Especially not if they don't even meet the technical standards.

Here's a link to a 3 minute YT video entitled, "2021 USDGC Paul McBeth winning moments".

The majority of the comments bash the fact that the event was PPV.

I think you maybe said something even more prescient than any of us now realize.

It may well be that so called "spectator sports" are nearing a fork in the road with a choice between either a major overhaul in how the product is marketed or obsolescence.

Why watch 3.5 hours of commercial larded "coverage" of the NFL when you can see a summary of the impactful plays in 15 minutes?

I think the die hard fans will still attend games in person for a few decades yet but maybe Jomez-esque post produced viewing options are the future.

When I used to care about the major spectator sports, I preferred to tape the games on VHS and got real good at watching them in FF mode, cutting the time down to like 1/3. Didn't miss a thing. It was a little more difficult with modern DVR type situations because the skip button often doesn't time well.

Now that I've lived both sides of the coin (caring deeply about baseball and football, and now not), I find it fascinating to ponder why these sports got SO big with SO much money. Why do people care so damned much in the first place? I sure did for many years.

I think acculturation is a giant percentage of it, much more so than an intrinsic love of the sport and/or interest in the outcome. Before my brain was fully cooked, I could tell you the batting averages and ERA's of all the 1984 Chicago Cub starters because my Dad had every game on wherever we were and his emotional investment naturally translated over to me, his offspring, just like it often does for politics and religion and whatnot in every family's house. Monkey see, monkey do. And for the big ones (NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA football) it's gotten crazy, like the fans are members of a giant cult or something along those lines.

The reason I'm going on and on about this is because it seems to me an attempt is made to go this route with Disc Golf, where instead 30-minute Jomez videos the next day are probably more in line with the level of enthusiasm it could ever have. I just don't see this being like the NFL, ever, where millions who don't play the sport at all care stupidly deeply. In fact, someday there might not be such a thing as three or four gargantuan sports if humans are free to branch out and pay attention to smaller things that interest them more. We have more than three TV channels now. We've only started acting like it in the last couple of decades. I'll be surprised if the NFL and especially MLB is near as big as it is now in fifty years.

It's not my place to say "we don't need live PPV". I'll just be surprised if the efficacy and reach of it is one tenth as good as the promotors and diehard enthusiasts hope it will be. Power to everybody who want to do it and consume it, of course. And my kid has a chance to be one of the benefactors for this in ten or fifteen years, so for his sake...YEAH, I'd like to see players who aren't in the top 5 make millions when he's in his twenties.

In the meantime, I'm quite satisfied where Disc Golf is right this minute. Easy for me to say, though. I've been an enthusiast since the Cyclone was the best driver on the planet and you were lucky to have one course to visit often.

Well, you can take that further and ask, Why is anyone a fan or spectator of any sport? Why do we care in what happens when strangers play games against each other?

We might say we like to see athleticism we can only dream of -- but a compilation video of great plays, without context, would suffice for that.