• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC/WNC Live Streaming Packages

Will you be buying a live stream package for this event?

• Total voters
Personally, I would like to see ALL DGPT events go behind the paywall for live and post production for at least 2 weeks. You either love it enough to pay NOW for it, or love it enough to wait 2 weeks for it. I also think that all the content should be centrally located on the DGPT YouTube page for easier way to find it. It would be SO much easier to sell to an advertiser if all the views were in one location. Rather than, hey... here is 50K views, and here is 20K views, and here is 12K views.

Thankfully for everyone here, I am not in control of that. I would rule with an IRON FIST!!! hahaha.

Eventually only a few hundred die hards end up watching. Then the pro tour is irrelevant. Wouldn't you want to do the opposite and grow the pie rather then shrinking it? You wouldn't be getting in the casual disc fan that is for sure.

Eventually only a few hundred die hards end up watching. Then the pro tour is irrelevant. Wouldn't you want to do the opposite and grow the pie rather then shrinking it? You wouldn't be getting in the casual disc fan that is for sure.

Currently the DGN has about 13K subs, and that is JUST for live coverage. That number will probably drop somewhat in the off season, and hopefully come back next season. But, if we were to put the post production behind that paywall for a limited time, I imagine that number would grow beyond that.

But that gets into the entire discussion of, "What do the current post production companies do for the tour?" Which my answer currently is... very little.

I do NOT think this is the plan of the DGN currently. These are just my whimsical ideas. I work WITH the DGN. But I don't make any of the business decisions for them.

Currently the DGN has about 13K subs, and that is JUST for live coverage. That number will probably drop somewhat in the off season, and hopefully come back next season. But, if we were to put the post production behind that paywall for a limited time, I imagine that number would grow beyond that.

But that gets into the entire discussion of, "What do the current post production companies do for the tour?" Which my answer currently is... very little.

I do NOT think this is the plan of the DGN currently. These are just my whimsical ideas. I work WITH the DGN. But I don't make any of the business decisions for them.

I'm shocked it's that high. I guess make everything pay per view!! :D

Typically broadcasters pay the tournament organizers or sports league to allow them to film and then broadcast and then sell commercials. Multi billion dollar deals are made with CBS/ESPN/FOX/whoever and the professional sports leagues.

I think that tournaments should be charging Jomez or whoever to allow them to film. They then in turn need to sell youtube ads or commercials to pay back and profit from it. But maybe the product isn't quite in demand enough in order to do so yet.

I'm shocked it's that high. I guess make everything pay per view!! :D

Typically broadcasters pay the tournament organizers or sports league to allow them to film and then broadcast and then sell commercials. Multi billion dollar deals are made with CBS/ESPN/FOX/whoever and the professional sports leagues.

I think that tournaments should be charging Jomez or whoever to allow them to film. They then in turn need to sell youtube ads or commercials to pay back and profit from it. But maybe the product isn't quite in demand enough in order to do so yet.

I do agree that at some point there could be multiple live companies bidding for the rights to broadcast these events. And post production as well. I think we have reached that point for post production, it would surprise me if there wasn't some sort of bidding process for post production MPO lead card next year.

And at some point the DGN will have to look at the money they can get from the post production revenue and if that is greater or less than what they could get by putting it behind the paywall. Long term problems.

On point! This is taking advantage of a small market that is hungry for content. This is not trying to grow the viewer base at all, it's simply taking advantage of...us.

I'm big on supporting the pro side of the sport, anyone know if they are putting any of these funds toward increasing payout?

I'm seeing up to a quarter of a million views on some of the Yourtub videos. That doesn't seem that small.

I remember discussions here last year when the argument was, you're never going to get enough hits on Yourtub to pay. That was when it was at 35,000 per video. Something is growing viewership. Even if it's COVID.

There is always an underestimation of the number of folks watching this stuff on Youtube. And there has always been a, "You're not growing the viewership," opinion. Two years ago Jomez was getting 30,000. Then it went to 50,000. I'm seeing vids with well over 100,000 views and some with 250,000. I think the naysayers may be underestimating.

I wrote my last two posts while having a $20 lunch with my son. There is a wide array of folks who can afford and not afford to drop $20. I see it at my kid's school. I'm guessing there are plenty of folks who just can't afford it and won't. I think that is a shame and their business. There is going to be a subset of folks who can afford it and think it's a waste of money. That is their businsness too. I hope that there are enough folks who are willing to pay, to keep the growth in broadcasting that I'm seeing on the same track.

250k views would get them about $250.

If they sell half of the disc packages, that's $10k

I typically see other sponsors having banners and smaller ads footing the bill for Jomez. Like Innova and others. I don't think they bought that huge RV and are traveling the country for 250 bucks a day or PER Video! hehe They have 3 people to pay. Lots of expenses like equipment. It would be impossible for them to do it on those base numbers, literally.

I also think that the youtube money is quite a bit more as well. From what I've seen it varies a lot. How long do people watch the vids, how many ads, etc.

I see some you tubers making 30K a month, even a million a year. Now I don't think it is that much but it certainly has to be much more then a a couple grand a week. They wouldn't be out there.

The discussion centers around whether folks are willing to pay $20 for a viewing of USDGC. The comments centered around, no way, there just isn't enough interest. Well, interest is higher than what some might think and have argued. And they are growing. And as JV posted, the "few hundred" people watching DGN is much higher than a few hundred.

That said, we're going to get an anwer, one way or the other. I hope those who say there no one is going to sign up are wrong. But certainly, I'm not going to lose sleep over this issue. Any more than I lost sleep over the folks who said Jomez wouldn't make money three years ago.

I always thought the purpose of capitalism was to make money. Innova is bad for developing one of the biggest tournaments in the system and wanting to make money at it?

Just bought the Gold Pass. Would have paid $20 for the livestream and VODs but I figured why not add in a disc. I will always prefer live sports, and on the days I am working and miss some of the live, I can avoid spoilers long enough to speed watch the VODs later. 20 bucks for that many hours of entertainment is pretty reasonable to me. It costs me that or more to go to a movie.

Nah Brodie said if he had to guess that Jomez is pulling at least 1k per video possibly closer to 2k. I trust he knows what he is talking about in regards to youtube revenue. So probably bringing in $3k to $6k per tournament.

They should definitely be paying the DGPT to film as opposed to the DGPT paying them. They are good, but they are replaceable.

Nah Brodie said if he had to guess that Jomez is pulling at least 1k per video possibly closer to 2k. I trust he knows what he is talking about in regards to youtube revenue.

Brodie is much more business savvy than alot of people realize, from what I've seen he doesn't really comment positively or negatively how much people make on YT. Youtube revenue is easy to research. Currently in 2020, a millions views gets you anywhere from 1-2.5k youtube revenue. With paid advertising you can make more per video.

https://socialblade.com/ is the pretty much the standard for streaming revenue guesstimations. You can easily tell who's making bank and who's not.

Nah Brodie said if he had to guess that Jomez is pulling at least 1k per video possibly closer to 2k. I trust he knows what he is talking about in regards to youtube revenue. So probably bringing in $3k to $6k per tournament.

They should definitely be paying the DGPT to film as opposed to the DGPT paying them. They are good, but they are replaceable.

This is probably closer. Figure $7 or $8 per 1000 views. That is kinda average. Plus maybe 20k a month in Patreon plus ads. But they have a 6 or 7 person crew for all their stuff.

Latest posts