• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Val Jenkins 4x signature Starfire

Interesting. Hard to say how this is going to sell. I thought the Starfire was sort of a forgotten mold.

It's always been a good disc though.

The thunderbird and PD kind of overshadow it unfortunately.

I'd like to see these in starlite too.

As long as I've been playing, I've oddly never thrown a Starfire. Numbers look like a PD. Is that a fair comparison?

Most people seem to say that the Starfire is similar to a PD but with a dumpier fade. At least when new. They are definitely turn resistant at high speed and thus make a great FH control driver that doesn't quite fade as hard as a Firebird/Felon.

I think a decent Innova analogy would be like this:

Teebird:Eagle as Starfire:Orc

I've ordered a couple of Val 4x SLs from the Proshop. Only way to get Star SLs these days.

If the quality of plastic that was used for the SLs is any indication of what the production run Starfires will be like, they are going to be really really good. I think Val had some input on how she wanted them to feel.

You're really going to like the feel of the SLs SD86. They are matte finish with a little give but still stiff. It's the closest I've felt to the old 11x era Star in a long time. Looking forward to hearing what you think about them.

Most people seem to say that the Starfire is similar to a PD but with a dumpier fade. At least when new. They are definitely turn resistant at high speed and thus make a great FH control driver that doesn't quite fade as hard as a Firebird/Felon.

I think a decent Innova analogy would be like this:

Teebird:Eagle as Starfire:Orc

I'd actually say it's more like:

Brinster Teebird:Teebird as Starfire:Orc

As long as I've been playing, I've oddly never thrown a Starfire. Numbers look like a PD. Is that a fair comparison?

I think the Starfire is a little like taking a PD and giving it the blunt nose of a Firebird (or maybe giving an Orc the blunt nose of a Firebird since the PD has a firebird wing already). The blunt nose in my experience makes it a little more overstable, resistant to wind with a dumpy fade, but also makes it not go quite as far as something like a PD or Thunderbird which are a bit more aerodynamic.

Now I don't throw forehands for anything other than upshots. It sounds like the Starfire is a really great driver for forehand dominant players, which is cool. I'll amend my previous comment about the Starfire to throwing backhand only.

Starfires are good discs, but there isn't anything it does super exceptionally.

I will but one in support of Val but may never use it much.

I went from Star Starfire to SPD for my FH driver b/c my FH sucked and I wanted something that wouldn't mask my flaws as well. The PD is a far superior driver in terms of versatility and distance but the Starfire is just ol' reliable. Really easy to S-curve so it makes it a better FH driver for wooded courses like somebody mentioned and now I'm contemplating putting it back in my bag. Great.

I'm waiting for garublador to dust off his login info to remind us that the Starfire was never anything special, it had a dumpy fade and was unpredictable at high speeds (especially into wind).

I have a Gstar Fartsire that's beefy, flat, and glideless. It's the only one I've tried. Maybe that's how they're supposed to be?

I think the Starfire, when worn in, has a little more HSS wiggle than the PD. But its dumpy fade brings it out of that, whereas a turned over powered PD will hold the flex for a long long time. The PD definitely is faster and more of a laser, whereas the Starfire slows down and dumps...it's better for placement. The PD throws more like a driver than the Thunderbird, for example, and the Starfire feels even more like a distance driver rim/flight than a PD (although I don't think it goes further at all). The Starfire I think holds a nice predictable hyzer and is easy to range. I much prefer the PD for forehands though, it's a dead straight laser, where the Starfire will slow down and sweep fade at the end. It's a good disc, I think more useful for placement shots than anything else, where a PD can be low lasers to pump out there, and a Thunderbird is for powered up stable fairway shots...for how I throw anyways. I'm sure the Starfires that Val throws are completely different after so much wear though, and hold long predictable lines.

I'd actually say it's more like:

Brinster Teebird:Teebird as Starfire:Orc

That's a nice analogy, I like it.

Now the question is will these be the actual starfire mold or the SL mold? I always assumed that Val threw the SL's, but I don't know that for a fact.

I know that they technically OOP'd the SL mold but this is innova so they'll throw any stamp on anything.

So without looking, does the disc say Valerie Jenkins or Doss? Or the worst option of all. Valerie Jenkins-Doss

I don't disagree with the Starfire being OS and dumpy analogy, especially the Champs. Great for big hyzers. Nice for FH's.

Orcs cover most of the lines you guys are talking about with PD's. It's why I like the Orc/Starfire pairing so much.

Also, PD's are very run dependent.

So without looking, does the disc say Valerie Jenkins or Doss? Or the worst option of all. Valerie Jenkins-Doss

It says Jenkins.

Innova put a nice ad for it in the player program/caddy book for the USWDGC that I got a sneak peak look at the other day. It's unfortunate that Val had to drop out of the event and might not see it (at least not this weekend).

Pbmercil said:
Now the question is will these be the actual starfire mold or the SL mold? I always assumed that Val threw the SL's, but I don't know that for a fact.

I'm pretty sure she throws both; recall the Star SL is her tour series disc. According to the Innova dealer page, these are definitely Starfires; they even give the flight numbers as 10|4|0|3 which is the SF, not the SL.

It says Valerie Jenkins. I'm not sure she actually changed her name when they married. Certainly, she still seems to be referred to in tournament footage and so forth as Valerie Jenkins.