• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

Speaking of VP's...

I have 5 of them now and have been loving them for the most part. I have a red one and a blue one that I carry in my bag and the others are for practice, etc. I've had the red one the longest and have beat the living shit out of it and cannot tell, the disc still looks great. I've stopped carrying the blue one recently though because it's been warped from a single tree hit. I can pinpoint the exact drive that it happened on, it was a terrible drive and ended up hitting the closest tree. I had just been talking them up as well, "they're indestructible, etc."... then BAM. So I go pick it up and sure enough, warpage. Has anyone else had this happen? Like I said, I've hit many objects with my red VP and it still looks fine.

Steven Dodge said:
jubuttib said:
I get Ridge, Summit and Ascent, but how does VP fit into all of this? =)

VP was the internal prototype name we gave the first disc. It stands for Vibram Putter. We decided to keep it, although we decided to not name our first driver using similar initials. :lol:
:lol: awww cmon, there is already an S-TD :mrgreen:

Steven Dodge said:
dgdave said:
So did any more of these show up anywhere today?

Hi all. The first two weeks of July, we shut the plant down for an annual cleaning and to do major equipemnt review/repair/replacements. The day before shutdown, I got 20 some Ascents molded. I sent one of each of these to the Team Vibram folks and our Pinnacle Retailers. If you want to fondle and test one of these within the next few weeks, you'll need to talk to one of these folks. Otherwise, tester Ascents should be going out in a couple weeks.

As usual, if you are getting a tester Ascent, I will shoot you an email with a link to the online form to fill out with your comments (and as always, please have as many people as possible give it a whirl.)

And before anyone asks, we are full up on testers right now ( :shock: ) and I am developing a system for getting new testers to replace those folks that don't respond with feedback.

Steve, I asked Rothstien for the tech measurements, but he said the disc hasn't even made it to the pdga for testing. How big is the wing? 1.7cm?

what'shisname said:
Speaking of VP's...

I have 5 of them now and have been loving them for the most part. I have a red one and a blue one that I carry in my bag and the others are for practice, etc. I've had the red one the longest and have beat the living shit out of it and cannot tell, the disc still looks great. I've stopped carrying the blue one recently though because it's been warped from a single tree hit. I can pinpoint the exact drive that it happened on, it was a terrible drive and ended up hitting the closest tree. I had just been talking them up as well, "they're indestructible, etc."... then BAM. So I go pick it up and sure enough, warpage. Has anyone else had this happen? Like I said, I've hit many objects with my red VP and it still looks fine.

Can you send me this in an email: [email protected]

I'd love to get it (the concept, not the disc, unless you are willing to trade it with me for another one) to the lab so they can think on it.

Steve.

what'shisname said:
Speaking of VP's...

Haven't we seen this before though? I thought time on a level surface was the fix for any sort of taco-ing you experience. The interesting thing I've noticed though is a couple of my Ridges appear to be a different blend of the typical Vibram rubber. I can feel the difference, I can see the difference in wear, etc... They're almost more DXish than rubbery. They've actually chipped on the bead from a few impacts. They still work wonderfully though.

Jeronimo said:
The interesting thing I've noticed though is a couple of my Ridges appear to be a different blend of the typical Vibram rubber. I can feel the difference, I can see the difference in wear, etc... They're almost more DXish than rubbery. They've actually chipped on the bead from a few impacts. They still work wonderfully though.

Is it a Firm Ridge? I notice the same DXish feel with my Firm Ridge.

Banzai said:
Jeronimo said:
The interesting thing I've noticed though is a couple of my Ridges appear to be a different blend of the typical Vibram rubber. I can feel the difference, I can see the difference in wear, etc... They're almost more DXish than rubbery. They've actually chipped on the bead from a few impacts. They still work wonderfully though.

Is it a Firm Ridge? I notice the same DXish feel with my Firm Ridge.

Yup.

what'shisname said:
Speaking of VP's...

I did nearly the same thing last weekend with an X-link Ridge. Tagged the first tree in my way from the tee and gave it a nice warp, but only on the side that hit the tree(unlike other putter that the whole thing would warp with that kind of hit). It has 2 slight what look to be permanent creases where she bent. Still flies the same, but feels a bit odd now.

I still LOVE the feel of the DX ones though, so it's not all negative. They've got a really nice textured grip to them.

cjskier said:
It has 2 slight what look to be permanent creases where she bent.

My Medium Ridge has a crease as well. I'm not really sure when and how it happened, but with some hot water and some tlc, I got most of it back to normal.
Today on a whim(read: fit of rage :wink: ) I slammed that same Ridge into the side of the basket. HUGE warp. 5 minutes later, back to normal. I love this rubber.

So I took the Ascent out for a test flight tonight. The park I went to really only had about 350' in distance to throw, with an elevation change of 7-10' in either direction. Win was negligable.

New, this thing flew like a new dx teebird. No turn, and some fade. Thrown flat, the disc had good glide before a soft but present fade. I was having trouble getting it past 330', but I think that was more line choice. I think I would be able to get it out in the 350' range turning it over in my hand and letting it flex out.

So I flexed it in a bit to see what it flew like, and I was a lot more impressed. With a little torque, I was able to flip it up to flat from a light hyzer, having it fade forward. I would say it doesn't have Cyclone forward fade, but more so than a Teebird. I ripped off one shot back uphill around 350' on a flex line, and 3/4 downhill this way.

All and all, a nice driver. The plastic is very nice.

Actually, that is what I was thinking too. It's got more HS turn once I flexed it in though; I don't remember being able to flip a Sabre correctly when I threw them, but I haven't thrown one in years.

It's also easier to throw than a Sabre. You don't have to give it that crazy elevation to get distance out of it.

cjskier said:
I did nearly the same thing last weekend with an X-link Ridge. Tagged the first tree in my way from the tee and gave it a nice warp, but only on the side that hit the tree(unlike other putter that the whole thing would warp with that kind of hit). It has 2 slight what look to be permanent creases where she bent. Still flies the same, but feels a bit odd now.

I'd love to hear an update on this disc. Did it work its way back a bit for you? Did you try heating it up a touch and seeing if it would go back?

Steve, care to go into any details on what you designed the Ascent to be like? I think it's a 1.7cm rim (so Teebird/Eagle rim), but it doesn't really fly like either. It's more like a faster Sabre with a little more fade that's easier to throw.

Timko said:
Steve, care to go into any details on what you designed the Ascent to be like? I think it's a 1.7cm rim (so Teebird/Eagle rim), but it doesn't really fly like either. It's more like a faster Sabre with a little more fade that's easier to throw.

We designed it to be unlike our first two proto drivers, neither of which flew very well. Really. One was massively overstable and was tough to keep under 175 grams (there is a sample of one of these at the Maple Hill Sap House). The other is quite understable and flies well (for me) with a tailwind. We did not want this to be our first driver though, so we canned it for the time being. Basically, we are trying to complement our driving putters with a utility go to driver.

The Ascent mold is being reworked a touch to allow for better flow (and hopefully fewer seconds) and it should be back late this week. Assuming it is good to go, we will start cranking out the tester discs next week.

-----

So you know, I hope to have three big announcements at the Vibram Open this year. We'll make them during the live broadcast of the event, which is being put together by DiscGolfPlanet.TV, so make sure to tune in August 13-15 at vibramopen.com