• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

Frank Delicious said:
You want discs shaped like shoes. I don't think that will be PDGA legal.

Wouldn't it then be a misnomer to call it a disc? Wouldn't a disc shaped like a shoe just be... a shoe? Are there PDGA ILLegal shoes? Would this be the first time a shoe was thrown at a basket? The mind wanders...

But really, I love that color pattern and would kill to get a Ridge that looks like those fivefingers.

Jeronimo said:
Frank Delicious said:
You want discs shaped like shoes. I don't think that will be PDGA legal.

Wouldn't it then be a misnomer to call it a disc? Wouldn't a disc shaped like a shoe just be... a shoe? Are there PDGA ILLegal shoes? Would this be the first time a shoe was thrown at a basket? The mind wanders...

But really, I love that color pattern and would kill to get a Ridge that looks like those fivefingers.

It's true... I met him once, but I don't think he remembers me.

Got my Summits in from Prime yeterday (fast shipping!), and I'm lovin' these things! I was never big on driving/long upshots with my putter, but I want to throw this disc on every shot. It really does drop out of the air pretty quick once it loses speed, but I like that - it feels like I could drop this thing right on top of the basket if I wanted to. I can't wait to get a few rounds in with it. And the combination of a black disc with the yellow insert? Sa-WEET! :D

I would LOVE some black and grey camo discs. I think they'd look awesome in the puuter pocket of a camo GB bag 8)

Jeronimo said:
Steve, why can't you guys make discs that look like this:

m1485.jpg

All things in good time. We're currently making sure we have enough Ridges for the Monday release date. Next will be the camo/swirl/chunk discs with multiple colors. We need to make sure that we have a repeatable process and that we can create these in a cost-effective way. It looks like we will have color designs spanning the spectrum.

discspeed said:
Nothing shows more confidence in one's game than carrying camo discs. :lol:

I've often stated this for a reason as to why I throw black discs.

Jeronimo said:
discspeed said:
Nothing shows more confidence in one's game than carrying camo discs. :lol:

I've often stated this for a reason as to why I throw black discs.

I said that once too...then in Dec. I lost my year old organic black Voodoo on a short drive. :cry: My putting still isn't quite where it was before I lost it.

Maybe this says something about my game then, my Chunk VPs do not get out on the course. But then again I only carry the Protos in my bag.

I've been playing a lot with my Firm VP and a Ridge I was lucky enough to get through trade. I've been putting in the most time at a short course with a lot of holes in the 150-200 range and these two discs have been money off the tee. I think I'm in love :D, especially with the Ridge. It seems able to hold basically any line I put it on. The grip has been freakin awesome even wet as it has been here this week. Now I really, really want to get some of these sweet looking chunk versions I've seen some of you lucky SOBs post here.

I've asked this question on DGCR, but since this is the dedicated Vibram thread I figured this would be the place to post my inquiry.

First off, I love the Innova Pro Pig. I use it as my primary driver (if the is some room to the right) for holes out to 320', headwind shots out to 275', and finally windy upshots and putting. Another thing that I'm a fan of is the thick, rounded rim of the Pig. I don't really care about the thumb-track like many players do, but the rim is a big component of why I like this disc. But the big problem I have with this disc is the durability. It seems like as soon as I get it a little broken in, the stability goes out the window (comparatively to where I like it) soon after that.

So, my quest is to find another very overstable putter with similar flight characteristics as the Pig, but with a higher durability. I have been trying out a 178g ESP Zone as a replacement as of late; it flies almost the exact same as the Pig (with a little more glide). I'm not completely sold on the disc though since the "feel" of it is completely different from the Pig. It feels like a beefier XD to me.

So, it was recommended to me to try out the VP, due to its great overstability and very high durability and long life. But I have three questions before I make a purchase, so as not to waste money on another disc that will just be sitting in one of my storage bins. First, how does the rim of the VP compare to that of the Pig? I have looked at the Vibram website and the side view of the VP looks think and rounded, just like the Pig, but the VP has a bead on the bottom where the Pig is smooth. Since pictures can only provide limited information, can anyone give some solid information comparing the rims (i.e. the width of the rim, roundness, depth, etc.)?

Second, how much difference is there in the stiffness of the VP between the "Firm" and "regular" runs? Is the "Firm" hard, similar to a champion-type plastic, or is the "regular" super-floppy with the "firm" having more of a normal firmness?

Or, is there another Vibram disc that is more similar to the Pig in both flight characteristics and rim dimensions?

Thanks in advance to any advice and information provided.

For comparison on specs, here ya go:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkHhjOV3JdxVdEtkRGlwbC1pQm9kVklsck1GSWlRUGc&hl=en

As for regular and firms, most of the regulars I had felt like pro plastic.

volmed10 said:
First, how does the rim of the VP compare to that of the Pig? I have looked at the Vibram website and the side view of the VP looks think and rounded, just like the Pig, but the VP has a bead on the bottom where the Pig is smooth. Since pictures can only provide limited information, can anyone give some solid information comparing the rims (i.e. the width of the rim, roundness, depth, etc.)?

Second, how much difference is there in the stiffness of the VP between the "Firm" and "regular" runs? Is the "Firm" hard, similar to a champion-type plastic, or is the "regular" super-floppy with the "firm" having more of a normal firmness?

Or, is there another Vibram disc that is more similar to the Pig in both flight characteristics and rim dimensions?

Thanks in advance to any advice and information provided.

The rim of the Pig is wider, but also more shallow. I took some quick measurements and got;
1/2" width of the rim for the Pig versus 5/16" width of the rim for the VP
9/16" depth of rim for Pig versus 5/8" depth of rim for VP
The rim of the VP is more rounded and overall height is greater while the Pig's rim feels beefier because its wider
took a couple of side by side photos for you
IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

I don't have a regular run VP yet to compare my firm with but the firm is somewhere around the stiffness of Gateways Soft, and by that I mean its stiff in shape but the material has some give to it when you grip it. but its hard to make a comparison for me because its such a unique feel.
I have a Ridge, which I love, but its not any closer to a Pig than the VP is.
in my humble opinion I say give a VP a try, if you don't like it, trade/sell it here I'm sure you'd be able to find some one to take it off your hands in a short amount of time.

Frank Delicious said:
For comparison on specs, here ya go:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkHhjOV3JdxVdEtkRGlwbC1pQm9kVklsck1GSWlRUGc&hl=en

As for regular and firms, most of the regulars I had felt like pro plastic.

The one thing I would note about this comparison is that the VP that we sent to get PDGA approval was our original X-Link Soft so the flex test number listed is misleading. X-Link is closest in flexibility to the Pro material (and X-Link is much more durable :D )

A.Mutt,

Thanks for the great info and pics; they really do help a great bit. It looks like the rim of the VP is very similar to the Rhyno, so while the VP isn't like the Pig, I am still interested.

volmed10 said:
A.Mutt,

Thanks for the great info and pics; they really do help a great bit. It looks like the rim of the VP is very similar to the Rhyno, so while the VP isn't like the Pig, I am still interested.

No problem, glad to be of help. :)

And on a durability note, I personally have thwacked both my VP and Ridge off of some hard surfaces there has been no noticeable damage.

@ A. Mutt- Was the VP in your pic resting on a level table? I ask because it looks as though it does not sit flat, i.e. the middle of the disc appears to be slightly off the table with shadow underneath it, while the right edge is resting on the table. This is particularly important to me, because I am concerned that I warped my VP by storing it carelessly in a backpack with the rest of my discs, and the VP was wedged in there against harder plastic, possibly bending it over a period of days. Or a hard tree hit? In any case, VP abuse! I've since purchased a real bag, in order to avoid this happening again. I am gonna try to flatten the VP out with a heavy book.

I don't know where I'm going with this, I guess I'm hoping you'll say your VP does not naturally rest in a level state on a flat surface, thereby absolving me of my guilt for destroying a disc through improper storage.

I hadn't notice it being out of true/warped but since you mentioned it I made sure to put on a level surface and sure enough it isn't perfectly flat. Don't know at what point it got that way or if it was always that way, but I have not noticed a change in flight which is whats most important to me. Don't feel bad about your VP, nothing that sees use can stay perfectly mint.

Turn disc upside down. Fill with hot water. Let sit and cool. Disc will flatten a little.

Or just don't worry about it which is easier. Almost every wizard I own is warped.

Latest posts