• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

I agree, there's just something about the blue swirl vp. it's my go to. so much so that I put it away for the winter. Don't want to lose it.

NoLifeLeft said:
Where do you guys find the rubber vomit ones?

you can't get them yet, the one that are out there are testers. Vegan Ray has most of them and I don't think anyone has enough $$ to pry one from him :D the production run of them will come out this summer!

veganray said:
Not sure if this Ridge qualifies as "Eco", as it lacks the inclusion of ground up particles that the Summit & VP employ. May just be X-Link Soft & not X-Link Soft Eco. I'll rely on Mr. Dodge to chime in with the definitive answer shortly.

This is correct.

Chunk Ridge & rubber vomit Ridge:
ridges.jpg

Man, you must have the serious inside line on all the proto Vibram stuff Vegan! You are one lucky dude! Is the Vomit Ridge like the orangish one that you have also.

Material seems identical. I had quite a fun time with the Soft Ridge/Eco Soft Summit putting combo at glow golf & monthly this weekend. Soft Ridge seems a bit more glidey that its stiff brethren. Also seems to have a delayed (though reliable) fade compared to the stiffies. Could be that the rubber has a wee dome to it, unlike any other Vibram disc I have thrown. The enhanced glide actually helped me make a bunch of long (60+) putts that I was really just trying to UFO in & drop close (always a +). Short-range putting was, as always, quite confident & solid. I felt like I was cheating on my beloved VPs, but I think there will be a place in my bag for all three. Here's how I believe I will set up my putters:

OLD ------------------------------------------------------>NEW
175g 3x JK Aviar-x (goto putter)-------------------------------->167g rubber vomit VP
150g DX Goblin (mad uphill & tailwind putts)----------------------->150g DX Goblin
171g 11x KC Aviar (understable-to-straight approach)--------------->168g X-Link Soft Eco Summit
171g black 12x KC Aviar (straight-to-overstable approach)----------->171g X-Link Soft Ridge

The only missing link is a 150g Summit or Ridge (or some sort of putterish mid) to replace the Goblin. One can dream…

Ok, I'm looking for the skinny on these Vibram putters. I read through the first 10 pages of this thread, but got a bit overwhelmed. (I guess that's what happens when there's one thread to span the entire life of a company's releases).

I've used wizards almost entirely since I started playing in 2007. I like the bead and the flight of the wizard. What is attractive to me about the VP (or possibly the other Vibram putters) is a consistent feel and performance. (I have a lot of wizards and virtually all of them feel slightly different). Increased durability would be really nice too, especially for a driving putter. I've got a lot of wizards with little chunks taken out of the rim or bead.

There seems to be a lot of info in this thread that I'm having a tough time putting together. Here are some questions:

What's the deal with the different molds? The VP is overstable (just how overstable?), the summit is understable (sound like it'll turn right when putting into a mild headwind?), and what is the ridge? When is it going to be released?

What about the different rubbers and their firmness? There's just X-link and X-link firm, right? How stiff is the firm? How soft is the regular? What variations are there in the feel of any of the runs? (I usually use S wizards, but I also like to carry a SSS with me for putts on the side of a hill. I also have some arch stamp wizards that are stiffer and which I really like, but the plastic gets big chips in it really easily.)

What else do I need to know? Can somebody just lay out all the info that is known at this point for me and anybody else who's potentially interested?

Thanks guys!

-Ryan

VP = quite overstable. Think Rhyno, Big Bead Aviar Driver, or brand spankin' new Wizard.
Summit = a bit flippy with a small, reliable fade. Think Classic Roc or XD.
Ridge = somewhere in the middle. Think Small Bead Aviar Putter or seasoned Wizard.

X-Link Firm = board stiff & hard. Like 11x Aviar plastic, but grippier.
X-Link = structurally sound, but with some give. Similar in flex to (but much grippier than) Champion putter plastic.
X-Link Soft (proto) = very soft, floppy, rubbery, & tacky. Softer that anything you have ever thrown (even Blowfly). Can easily be rolled into a taquito or folded into 1/4ths. If prototype testing points to technical & financial feasibility, will be commercially-available this summer.

In my testing, I have found all three molds to be quite consistent & comfortable, and all rubber formulations to be near bulletproof.

Not sure of commercial release date of Ridge, but I imagine it will be soon, as the protos, to my knowledge, have been extremely well-received.

one of my ridges shortly before i threw it in the ocean in the bahamas (did get lucky and recover it)
IMG_5520.jpg

veganray said:
VP = quite overstable. Think Rhyno, Big Bead Aviar Driver, or brand spankin' new Wizard.
Summit = a bit flippy with a small, reliable fade. Think Classic Roc or XD.
Ridge = somewhere in the middle. Think Small Bead Aviar Putter or seasoned Wizard.

X-Link Firm = board stiff & hard. Like 11x Aviar plastic, but grippier.
X-Link = structurally sound, but with some give. Similar in flex to (but much grippier than) Champion putter plastic.
X-Link Soft (proto) = very soft, floppy, rubbery, & tacky. Softer that anything you have ever thrown (even Blowfly). Can easily be rolled into a taquito or folded into 1/4ths. If prototype testing points to technical & financial feasibility, will be commercially-available this summer.

In my testing, I have found all three molds to be quite consistent & comfortable, and all rubber formulations to be near bulletproof.

Not sure of commercial release date of Ridge, but I imagine it will be soon, as the protos, to my knowledge, have been extremely well-received.

Are the VP minis made of any of these, or are they a seperate blend?

biscgolf said:
one of my ridges shortly before i threw it in the ocean in the bahamas (did get lucky and recover it)
IMG_5520.jpg

That is one lucky Ridge, looks like it got to go on one nice Vacation.

And, It has been like 2 days since I bought a VP!

Want to take a virtual tour of the Vibram Disc Golf plant? Here is a video I just finished up last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgYSzYaFZvA

Latest posts