• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

really looking at going all in with vibram. i am hosting a birdie bash at the begining of may so i picked up one of the sample packs and have been playing with nothing but vibram since the last week in march. there are certan slots that they don't have covered yet with there line up but i have been able to make do playing more with release angles. Looking forward to trying the four 20.

money 21 said:
really looking at going all in with vibram. i am hosting a birdie bash at the begining of may so i picked up one of the sample packs and have been playing with nothing but vibram since the last week in march. there are certan slots that they don't have covered yet with there line up but i have been able to make do playing more with release angles. Looking forward to trying the four 20.

Sounds like they will have a new mold out to testers by the end of the year. More than likely a mid or fairway to start rounding out their 16 mold lineup. I am hoping they expand that to 20 molds with a 4-pack of speed 10-11 drivers. Wish they would have started with speed 10 instead of speed 13.

Since I've never thrown Vibram other than a Summit, and I don't really understand their ratings, is there a general statement on their molds re: glide? Are any of the molds particularly glidey?

I've never taken the time to figure out their ratings either. Out of their putters, the Sole has the most glide. The unLace has a lot of glide for a speed 13/14 disc. Ibex glides pretty well but only in a straight line, it tends to die out on an anny. Overall, I think the rest are fairly neutral.

the lace and trak glide well.
The unlace is for 350' or less throwers (which as my age has caught up with me I now am) I love to hyzer flip my unlace for distance. the Glow unlace has more hss so can work for bigger arms.

I have seen a friend of mine throw a Trak a lot farther than i ever thought that disc could go. He doesn't play a lot of Vibram, but has this idea to build an all Vibram bag for rain.

PMantle said:
I have seen a friend of mine throw a Trak a lot farther than i ever thought that disc could go. He doesn't play a lot of Vibram, but has this idea to build an all Vibram bag for rain.

This is precisely what I do :mrgreen:

...and for the record, I think the Trak is the most underrated fairway driver out there right now. It is absolutely amazing.

the trak is one of the most versitile fw driver on the market. the m traks really will hold what ever line you put it on.

Some people have said that there's some variation in how Traks of the same mold/plastic fly. I just got a Trak and noticed that the top of the disc does not align up perfectly with the bottom of the disc, making a ridge at least 1/32 an inch on one side of the disc but not on other other.

Trak_asymetry3.jpg

Trak_asymetry2.jpg

Trak_asymetry1.jpg

Will this affect flight performance, make this disc fly differently than other Traks? Should I try to return the disc? I'm anxious to start using it but if I'm not going to truly experience a Trak, I'd rather replace it with one that is more symetrical. Or, are they all like this and it doesn't matter? (Please note from the poor images that it's not flange, the bottom is normal, the top is laterally squashed a bit.)

Are you saying that this disc is defective and should be returned?

I would contact the retailer before contacting vibram customer service. I spent a lot of time talking to a knowledgeable pro who was temporarily filling in for the owner of a terrific disc golf shop. This was the second to last Trak in stock, in a box above the two walls of shelved discs and I can't expect temp staff to know the intimate details of each of 40k+ discs like the owner. I expect the merchant would say it's one of those things that you have to make a decision about and go with .. that some people might not have any problem with it and others might ... and other's might waffle. Waffling's my biggest concern ... I'd be happy with what I have if other people had Traks similar to those in the pictures above and found they didn't fly any noticeably different from other Traks.

I've noticed some features of a disc make a big difference and others don't ... I don't want to bother my merchant or vibram if it's not an issue. In the absence of any other information, the fact that I'm worried about it weighs in favor of returning it.

Loony, I think the primary reason the guys are telling you to contact Vibram is because it might be a production error that they're not aware of. Customers notifying manufacturers of defects like that can actually go a long ways to preventing the occurrence of the defect in future runs. Also, Steve Dodge takes quality very seriously, and he would probably exchange it for you if you cared to.

Latest posts