• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

vibram five fingers

Man, I don't get this. I am very particular about my feet. They need to be protected, kept dry and supported. These things seem suited to sitting around drinking beer.....if they were not so dang goofy looking. Would not be caught dead in a pair, sorry.

I agree that they're a bit goofy looking, but I stopped caring about what people think of my appearance in high school, honestly. I think there is plenty of support from what I've heard and read, and these actually promote proper balance and movement.

Man, I don't get this. I am very particular about my feet. They need to be protected, kept dry and supported. These things seem suited to sitting around drinking beer.....if they were not so dang goofy looking. Would not be caught dead in a pair, sorry.

The theory behind these shoes is that they allow your feet to be used the way nature intended, giving the wearer more dexterity and allowing the use of appropriate control muscles and tendons.

Cushioned sneakers with arch support don't allow the use of the arch for balance. They encourage running heel first which shocks the knee and other joints. Newer models have built in shock absorbers to help alleviate this.

The 5 fingers force you to land toe first while running, which uses the achilles tendon as a giant shock absorber, cushioning the impact and limiting the amount of shock on the joints.

Of course this is all in theory. I have 2 pairs of 5 fingers that are collecting dust because my trail running sneakers with heavy tread and cushioning are much more comfortable. And I can still land toe first while running (which really is a lot better once you build up calf and achilles strength).

I agree that they're a bit goofy looking, but I stopped caring about what people think of my appearance in high school, honestly. I think there is plenty of support from what I've heard and read, and these actually promote proper balance and movement.

Please don't misunderstand me, I do not care what anyone thinks of me, I only care what I think of me, and they are goofy. :p

I don't subscribe to the natural theory. I have severe plantar fascitiis, have for two decades. If I go barefoot or without significant support for my naturally pronated feet, the inflamation in my arch becomes nearly unbearable. To each his own, but stay secure when I am laughing at you. :D

My feet are protected very well in comparison to shoes, as a test I took a very brisk walk down a steep hill in my keens and kicked an oh so sweet root/small stump, with a very nice toe cap I might add, and still felt like my damn toe was broken. I still wear my keens but they have the same general plan, watch your feet. As far as having wet feet, it feels like water shoes but better, it doesn't bother me it all. In my keens I look like a cat trying to keep away from it or look stupid walking on my heels cause they're elevated. With support your natural foot shape is all the support you need. Fivefingers gave me much better timing on my plant foot, shoes sometimes throw my timing of my plant foot off, usually being on the toe more. Minimalist shoes were great but I don't think I've ever seen a wide width.

I had some Vibram Trek's and they lasted about 3 rounds and both sides of the foot near the ball of the foot (and the other side) blew out from the plant because they grip so well.

and Ru4por, different Vibrams have diff protection. the KSO's are basically true barefoot. the Treks are made for trail walking/hiking and are heavily supported. Bikila's are for running and are supported as such.

Please don't misunderstand me, I do not care what anyone thinks of me, I only care what I think of me, and they are goofy. :p

I don't subscribe to the natural theory. I have severe plantar fascitiis, have for two decades. If I go barefoot or without significant support for my naturally pronated feet, the inflamation in my arch becomes nearly unbearable. To each his own, but stay secure when I am laughing at you. :D

Yea I've had feet problems ever since I was kid playing football or skateboarding(I never had arches) so my arches would ache pretty bad along with a heel pain and shock up the leg. Then got to thinking maybe shoes were the problem, could never find the perfect fit, ended up with hammer toes because of narrow shoes. So I go to skate shoes, more width no arch support. No one makes the perfect shoe I've come to find out. Then Fivefingers come along...boom I got arches and muscles in my feet I've never seen. Feet don't even hurt in sneakers any more. They don't get used much anymore but I'm glad I got them. So you'll only get the chance to laugh at me on the internet =p. Pick some up, I just found them to be therapeutic, they're not durable enough for disc golf, too much rotation, if you ever toe pivot the mesh just gets annihilated.

Maybe I'll just grab a pair to play on the handful of no teepad courses I play. That, or for when I dance, skip, and frolic around outside of ru4por's house so he can laugh at me and take video footage for AFV or YouTube. I will wear my jester outfit.

I had spyridons and they were amazing for me, but I ended up ripping the toes the first go around so I cashed in the warranty. The second pair had a smaller rip in one of the toes so I stopped playing in them. They were awesome for playing disc golf but the rubber needs to go around the toes more but with everyones feet and toes being different it's not very plausible to do this and make a somewhat universal fit. Only other bad side the spyridon trade is like a four wheeler tread, not made for concrete but the most stable footing you'll ever get on natural ground.

I loved everything about the spyridons. I just think I was planting on my heel too hard and the pain was showing up in my lower-right back. Maybe a form issue but I couldn't justify keeping them if I wasn't going to play disc golf in them, too few opportunities to wear them

I loved everything about the spyridons. I just think I was planting on my heel too hard and the pain was showing up in my lower-right back. Maybe a form issue but I couldn't justify keeping them if I wasn't going to play disc golf in them, too few opportunities to wear them

I understand, with shoes your heel plant is a little more pronounced, the Fivefingers you pretty much have to plant flat. There are four wheeler trails behind my house, I like to take the two monsters we call dogs running back there, they need it and so do I :hfive: so mine still get some use.

Last edited:
Maybe I'll just grab a pair to play on the handful of no teepad courses I play. That, or for when I dance, skip, and frolic around outside of ru4por's house so he can laugh at me and take video footage for AFV or YouTube. I will wear my jester outfit.

Oh great, what will the neighbors think? :\

Saw a great deal on them at an EMS and said "yeh, I think I'll buy a pair". But after spending (no exaggeration) 2 to 3 minutes trying to put them on (2 toes would go into 1 hole, none in another hole, take off, try again, 2 different toes into an althogether different hole, etc.) I said "eh, ah, mm, NO!" If I'm not coordinated enough to put them on sitting in a 72-degree store on a stool, I sure as heck won't be able to put them on 1) in a rush, 2) when they're wet, 3) when I've had 1 too many, 4) while sitting on grass....

Karl

Saw a great deal on them at an EMS and said "yeh, I think I'll buy a pair". But after spending (no exaggeration) 2 to 3 minutes trying to put them on (2 toes would go into 1 hole, none in another hole, take off, try again, 2 different toes into an althogether different hole, etc.) I said "eh, ah, mm, NO!" If I'm not coordinated enough to put them on sitting in a 72-degree store on a stool, I sure as heck won't be able to put them on 1) in a rush, 2) when they're wet, 3) when I've had 1 too many, 4) while sitting on grass....

Karl

They get easier to put on as you get used to them. Everyone finds their own trick that works with them. There is no way for me to describe how I put mine on without sounding like a baffoon, so instead I will just give you all a few extra seconds of laughing instead of reading.

They are not easy to put on, even with experience. It is not rocket science, but they are not slippers.
my second toe is longer than the big toe, so they are uncomfortable that way.

THEY STINK!!!!, holy crap do they smell.

Flowers get stuck in between the toes.

If you step in dog poo, you can feel the warmth, it is gross.

HOWEVER, they last 5 times longer than the Fila imitations.

They are not easy to put on, even with experience. It is not rocket science, but they are not slippers.

Maybe if you avoid the dog's work they wouldn't smell so bad?

You can always throw them in the washer with your laundry

I wear Injini lightweight no show socks w/mine b/c there is a sharp seam in the left big toe of my Bikilas. My shoes have yet to start smelling after wearing them a good bit for the last 2 months. I've washed them a couple of times and a couple of weeks ago I got them soaked completely thru playing a round of disc golf in the rain and I just set them up against the wall w/a fan pointed into them and left them drying all night. I had been warned of possible foot stink before I got them, so I had been thinking about the socks up front

I have a pair as well and they can produce some magnificent odor! However you can throw them in the washer and they come out brand new looking and odor free. I however need to wash mine twice in a row to fully un funk them. They are easily the most comfortable shoe I've worn.

My buddy just got a pair, blew the sole off 3 of the toes his first time on the course with them.

As disc golf shoes - Garbage!

They are made for surfing though, I can see why they don't make good DG shoes.

I have a pair as well and they can produce some magnificent odor! However you can throw them in the washer and they come out brand new looking and odor free. I however need to wash mine twice in a row to fully un funk them. They are easily the most comfortable shoe I've worn.

The best way to eliminate the odour is to use white vinegar in the wash. I just soak them in a vinegar/water and laundry detergent solution in a pail for 20 minutes, rinse them out well, then dry them outside.

Latest posts