• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video Editing Software

Alt+Right Arrow takes me from video viewer to video editor. I don't think that is for Movie Maker 10. I'm pretty sure it's for the Movie Maker I'm trying to replace.

I just got home, and you're right. I'm actually running Windows Live Movie Maker, and those hotkeys don't work here either. On this version it's "J" and "L" that moves one frame at a time.

I must be running something different at work, because the arrow keys worked there. Sorry about that.

I just got home, and you're right. I'm actually running Windows Live Movie Maker, and those hotkeys don't work here either. On this version it's "J" and "L" that moves one frame at a time.

I must be running something different at work, because the arrow keys worked there. Sorry about that.

Is that the paid version of new movie maker (at work)? At this point, I'm willing to pay for the features I'm looking for. Just not too much . . .

Is that the paid version of new movie maker (at work)? At this point, I'm willing to pay for the features I'm looking for. Just not too much . . .
You can upload to vimeo or youtube for frame-by-frame controls. I'm sure there's some sort of free program out there as well that will do frame-by-frame.

You can upload to vimeo or youtube for frame-by-frame controls. I'm sure there's some sort of free program out there as well that will do frame-by-frame.

I've tried with Youtube; never worked for me. I thought what I heard was it was supposed to be simple . . . just the arrow buttons . . . always skips minutes when I do it.

I've tried with Youtube; never worked for me. I thought what I heard was it was supposed to be simple . . . just the arrow buttons . . . always skips minutes when I do it.
For Youtube it's "," and "." that go backwards and forward frame-by-frame.

Old versions of windows movie maker can run on windows 10. that's what I use. if you can't find it for download I can help you out.

To do frame by frame load your source video. on the left side where there is the preview area, there are controls to play and pause, and left and right arrows. clicking either arrow moves you through individual frames.

You can also set it to playback in slow motion.

As far as other software you can try, I heard good things about Olive, a free and open source program for windows. I haven't gotten around to trying it though - https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/

I use DaVinci Resolve when I wanna do anything more complicated than cutting/combining (which I do on my phone). Has a bit of a learning curve but pretty powerful and free!

Y'all must be a lot better in the phone than I am. Anything beyond trimming a video on my phone and I'm out.

I use Movavi for video edits. It has an intuitive interface, and I found it perfect for going through videos frame by frame and making precise edits.

It's really user-friendly and offers everything I need for my basic editing requirements, such as cutting unnecessary parts and muting certain segments. Movavi also has easy video merging and splitting features. As a bonus, it got automated transitions and different styles to use.

And yeah, on this link, you'll see that it's one of the video editors that you can use for free without a watermark.

Last edited:
I use DaVinci Resolve when I wanna do anything more complicated than cutting/combining (which I do on my phone). Has a bit of a learning curve but pretty powerful and free!
I'm playing with DaVinci right now. I think I'm going to like it.

Latest posts