• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Walgreens bag + 1/2" pvc = Awesomeness

atison

Par Member
Sorry for the new thread, the others on the subject are all over the place and I wanted an area for folks to see how easy and cheap this "system" is.

I will get pictures up of this later.

Bought a Walgreens bag for $5
Bought some 1/2" PVC and fasteners (10 elbows, 2 "T" slip joints) for about $3

Tools needed: Hacksaw (or anything that will cut PVC. A bread knife will get the job done, though may take longer). Tape measure or ruler (optional as you don't have to be exact)

First I made a simple boxed "U" frame, as the first purpose of this for me was to provide rigidity for the bag to stand up on its own. I made the length and the width of the U so that it fit in snuggly and I had to kind of work the top of the bag over the ends a bit. Not too tight as to put stress on the bag once in place though.

The width also made it so that the discs are resting on the pvc and not on the bottom of the bag.

Once I got the basic U the way I wanted it, I took the two long pieces out to put a divider in the middle using the T joints. I chose to make the divider off center, providing one larger side. The larger side will hold about 9-10 discs without getting jammed and the smaller will hold about 6-7.

I cut the two pieces into two smaller sections to be joined back together with the T section. Because of the T section, I had to take off an addition inch of pipe from each side.

I also chose to make the middle divider lower in height then the ends so that it does not stick up above the discs and makes them easier to get out, yet still stands them up straight.

Total time it took was about an hour, but I tinkered a bit and measured a lot.

I did not glue the pieces together as the bag holds it all together tightly. If it gets loose, I will come back and apply a bit of pvc glue to snug it up.

I chose 1/2" pvc to keep the weight down, and to take up as little space as possible while still providing a rigid frame.

I liked this design over others because it is minimalistic, yet will keep your discs upright, your bag upright, and provides two compartments. I can keep my putter in one of the side zip pockets for easy access, and have room for a towel, drink, socks, etc.

Like I said, I will put pictures up soon for anyone wanting to try this but needs the visual to "see" it.

I know you mentioned it in the post...but it's really true...

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PHOTOS

\/\/'

PS: Pics will make this a sweet thread.

So for $8, it sounds like you have a pretty good set-up:D. Looking forward to pictures.

Here is my Walgreen's bag and frame.
I used 1/2 inch pvc, except on the tee that hold my separator...I used 3/4 so that it would slide. My rubber bands have broken, but my bag is much fuller now, and it works great!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheap, but I figure @ $5 a piece, even if I have to replace it once a year, I am ahead!

i know two people that use this system in might ad weight but it is sturdy

Sounds like a good idea especially since I have some extra PVC & fittings laying around. Looking forward to pics.

That is the same concept, except no sliding involved with mine and I do not have the extra threaded connector on the bottom of the outside uprights. I also do not have a piece in between the lower elbows on each end (bottom left of the first picture.

I went for simplicity and light weight, but like the idea of a sliding divider.

I know, I really needed to get pictures. Will try tonight.

The only reason for the threaded piece on mine was I could not find any 3-way slips...3 stores, and all I could get was 2-way slip w/ the one threaded.
I went with the cross piece on the bottom to give it the rigidity.

can you post different angles of the finished product as well as pictures of the "walgreens bag" before any work is done?

thanks man. i'm going to recommend this to a couple guys that are using cheap non-dg options

Will do. I will also pull all the pieces apart to show what cuts need to be made to the PVC.

I should have known. Never post a how to without pictures. I will write that 100 times on the board.

Here's a pic of a racK that I made with some scrap pvc. I use these all the time for storing spares and carrying discs out for field practice and you don't even need a bag.

Attachments

• San%20Antonio%20065.jpg
    San%20Antonio%20065.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 105
that's a nice setup SW. I guess you can make it as long as you want also. I need something better for my trunk

that's a nice setup SW. I guess you can make it as long as you want also. I need something better for my trunk

I like the shorter ones because you don't need as many discs in them to keep the discs standing up straight. I have one for putters, one for fairway drivers, one for distance drivers, etc.

It makes sense to have them shorter for transporting them and field practice.

I'm looking for options for something for my trunk that will stay there. I can put two in, or one the length on the trunk and think it would work great.

I'm going to have to talk to the future father in law, as my knowledge of tools is limited to Hammer throw

Are you carrying a Zephyr, son?

HA! No, actually that is the awesomeness known as the Birdie, which now resides in my trunk unless the kids are playing with me!

Sidewinder - I like your set up!

There are a few things I would change if I were to make another one.
1) Instead of the 3 way corner, I would just do a normal el, and then do 2 't's in the middle of the lower bar to bring those bottom runs closer together.

2) I completely forgot, but you can't have a 1) without a 2).

I forgot to mention something very important about the PVC. You DO NOT have to glue it together. Just tap it in with a rubber mallet and it will stay together forever.

Latest posts