• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ways to measure putts

Now look a here son, it's a bit impractical. On the course you don't have the luxury of exact distance putting, so it can be a distraction. Much like basketball, it comes down to feel/practice and depth perception. If your putts were always from 15' like a free throw, it would be a different story.

I went to Walmart and bought some Soccer cones,( 4 for $4) . I bought about 12 of them, and I took a tape measure, and laid them out every 10 ft out to 120ft. That helps you work on putting and approaching. I think long approach shots are harder to learn than putting.

Know just how much power and angle to put on a disc to make it land just right, near or at the basket, takes lots of practice. I work on these shots more than any other.

It does come naturally but if your playing a putting game are you supposed to say, yeah I just went from where I felt ot was where I was comfortable, now you do it. That's why I made the measurer.

find a known distance and pace it off with your normal walking step. Go to a field and walk from the goal line to the 33 1/3...or 100 feet. Just make sure to use your natural stride. I'm lucky in that it takes me 40 steps to reach 100' which comes out to 2.5' per step. If you're pacing a distance over 100' then extend a finger once 100' is reached and start counting over at one. This is a land surveyors trick and can be quite accurate over long distances.
This^^^

I use this for practice putting too.
10 steps=25'
8 = 20'
6 = 15'
etc.

I carry a golden retriever. A lot of people do. There are many courses here in TX that require the extra string of your retriever. Here's what I used to do (i needa do this again).

On your Golden Retriever string (if you have one, if not, this is to those who do and who want to measure their putts) every foot of string, take a permanent marker and color the string black.

Battabing Battaboom. Putt ruler.

This also works great for measuring super close, unidentifiable by the naked eye CTP's in tournaments or to measure the 30ft circle for jump-putts/falling putts.

Last edited:
Are there other ways to measure putts while practicing or playing besides guessing?
I've come up with a method while practicing, I tied ropes off in five foot increments,a knot at each five ft mark totaling thirty ft, put a clasp on the end to attach to the bottom of the basket so it can be moved around to tell the distance for putting. Is this a dumb idea? Would I look dumb pulling this thing out and practicing with it? I think its an affective way of precisely telling how long your putts are, without the tape measure. Will post photos if wanted. Any ideas?

and it's a cool idea. no disc golf idea is stupid (except the Groove). keep having at it man. maybe soon the string will be 50 ft. :thmbup: