• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight loss disc golf

My 3 year old boy was consistently throwing further then my wife. I did not have a tape measure, but from what I walked out he was well past 120 ft.

I've lost a few lbs playing DG this summer. Winter is a different story, it's harder to work up a sweat. I guess I should layer up more.

I've lost a few lbs playing DG this summer. Winter is a different story, it's harder to work up a sweat. I guess I should layer up more.

You actually burn a lot of calories keeping yourself warm, so if you play when it's good and cold out you can do pretty well.

That is awesome about losing it in the summer!

You actually burn a lot of calories keeping yourself warm, so if you play when it's good and cold out you can do pretty well.

I never really considered this before, but it makes perfect sense.

yup, i lost about 40 lbs over two months (January-February) at the height of my weight lossage.

I think I'm getting in worse shape by playing disc golf. Of course, if I weren't golfing I'd be climbing/biking/skiing/working out etc.

yea it certainly wont help you get 'buff' but it will help a lot if you are a fat turd like I was :)

I agree with the counting calories. I started out somewhere above 380. I'm down to 291 since the second week of April. When I started, I built a spreadsheet to record calories per meal/day and daily weight. Being obsessive about tracking it has made me more aware of what I'm eating and when I'm getting off track. Eating out is tough since the majority of restaurants don't have any available nutritional information and the food is generally high in calories to begin with. But, I try and estimate the best I can, and after doing it for 6 months, I've gotten better at instinctively choosing low calorie menu options. Eating healthy allows you to consume more volume, but in the end, the only possible way to lose weight is to consume fewer calories than you expel.

I can't say disc golf has had anything to do with the weight loss since I probably play it less often now after having a kid in January. I only get to play a couple times a month. That and church league softball once a week is about the only "exercise" I get.

I don't have a starting weight for this thread, but I can tell you before I came back to the game on May 8th my 40" jeans were getting tight and I was worrying about getting some 42 inch jeans. Since May 8th I have played about 282 games and I can't wear my 38" jeans without a belt.
This was not really an official weight loss strategy as it was just an addiction. I was eating better as well, not so much counting calories as just eating better food.
I just put some batteries in my bathroom scale (I wonder how long it's been) and weighed in at 206.5.
Thank you DG.

What a great, inspiring thread...

Here are my experiences:

In relation to GERD and Acid Reflux. I was diagnosed with both a number of years ago. I stopped eating grains and began eating more vegetables and lean meats. No more GERD or AR. If I "Fall the wagon", both return. Just my experience.

Disc golf has definitely helped me lean my body out. I haven't lost much weight, but have lost a lot of fat. My muscle tone and shape is improving. The courses here are pretty challenging. Lots of elevation changes.

I also like a fast now and then, but I will only do short periods. 24 to 36 hours, but closer together, once a week or so. It's called "Intermittent Fasting" if you'd like to check it out. Helps the body convert from sugar burning to fat burning. Then give myself a meal with lots of vitamins and healthy lean meats, turkey is a great high protein, low fat meat.

Beware of drinking your carbs, energy replacement drinks, sodas, juices, etc.

Your mileage may vary, but, stay away from grains and sugar. Listen to your mother and eat your vegetables.

I'm glad to see everyone posting here, and great stories!

I started playing to get in better shape, and it does help. Diet and other forms of exercise also help. I can only play on the weekends because of my work schedules. I walk 2-3 miles a day , 4-5 days a week, and work out on my Bow-flex, and I have cut most of the crap (donuts, waffles, cookies) out of my diet, and that has helped alot. I now have to wear a belt all the time, or my pants will fall off , because I have started loosing weight, and feeling so much better.

My stepson weighs 330lbs, and I am getting him into disc golf to try to get in better shape.

i had a friend who was overweight, met him playing at a local 9 holer. it was a weekend, he brought lotsa water, and played thru the 9 holes as many times as he could stand it. he also walked during the week. you don't have to watch what you eat, change what you eat... fruit and veggies as a diet.. smoothie diet? make a game out of it, challenge yourself. what really helps is to have a friend, get that competitive edge

Good diet is crucial, you can literally eat leafy greens all day and still lose weight. I would recommend spirulina, vitamin d and coral calcium too, these will help u from getting sick and give you more energy to git out and exercise.

running will drop weight faster than any other exercise. Start with a walk / run program and in 10 weeks you will be able to run 5 km non-stop.

350 and loves disc golfing, somehow the two dont seem to go together .... not to be a dick but how does an out of shape 350 pounder finish 18 holes on a varying terrain. I've seen slightly overweight people have issues finishing 18 holes while playing in the heat. Actually 350 pound "disc-golfers" is what I envision when I see 5,000+ posts on sites like this :'(

350 and loves disc golfing, somehow the two dont seem to go together .... not to be a dick but how does an out of shape 350 pounder finish 18 holes on a varying terrain. I've seen slightly overweight people have issues finishing 18 holes while playing in the heat. Actually 350 pound "disc-golfers" is what I envision when I see 5,000+ posts on sites like this :'(

I love when people post...
"Not to be a dick" or something like that.

It really doesn't make it any better,lol.

but seriously just a question ... and clearly you took it different, and that's why one would preface their statement like that ... as to NOT be misunderstood. Sorry it still made you cry a little on the inside.