• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight loss disc golf

There's no secret to it, you don't need to stop eating carbs or whatever just have to watch calories cuz if you're not paying attention it adds up.

I guess those 40-50 lbs I lost not eating carbs or counting calories were a fluke then.

I guess those 40-50 lbs I lost not eating carbs or counting calories were a fluke then.

Naw I didn't mean THAT, not trying to start stuff. I know good has come to those who follow programs and such. More of a commentary on how advertising/marketing diet programs brainwash you into thinking ONLY their products work and you couldn't do it without them kinda thing.

Jog and throw

As others have mentioned, the idea of just moving faster when playing helps. I will bring a small bag of discs and jog the course and play. You get to exercise and play more holes in a shorter time generally I can play a 18 hole course in a third of the time. Lose weight and play more! A great combo.

Folks looking to connect with others using DG as a healthy and fun way to drop some pounds might consider Big Daddy Disc Golf via Facebook (not a FB user myself so I've not visited). This was created by a Youtuber who calls himself TUCK4S1 for like-minded individuals to offer support along the lines of getting healthier via DG. He also puts out some very entertaining videos for those looking to add variety to their viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY0FiK0hWeor-lcxpYzU8vQ

Joe

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

weight loss is all about calories... exercise has less to do with it than you may think...

LOL ok, that's why every spring I drop 10-20 lbs easy mode by just going hiking and discgolfing. Hell my over weight degenerate buddy went from around 350 to 270ish in a summer by doing nothing differently but playing discgolf with me every other day. Dude will kill a handle in 2 days but discgolf just ate them calories up!

He stopped golfing and boom right back to old weight. Proof is in the pudding, and the pudding is ****ing delish!

calories in and calories out are both important parts of the equation tho

Last edited:
I lost 70 lbs in 3 months by running 3 miles a day, 4 days a week and changing up my food intake.

Shakeology for breakfast
A serving of nuts (peanuts, walnuts, pistachios) with a fruit for a snack around 9am
Baked chicken breast with steamed veggies for lunch
Another serving of nuts and fruit for an afternoon snack around 3pm
Dinner is usually tuna salad with a couple hard boiled eggs, very light on the mayo
A gallon of water every day

I avoided breads, pasta and rice. No soda.

BJs has bags of frozen chicken breast individually packaged and huge bags of mixed veggies for stir fry. Every sunday I would do the meal prep and have my lunches all made up, my snacks individually packaged. In the morning before I leave for work, I made my shakeology, loaded up the cooler and was good to go for the whole day. No guessing what I am going to eat for my next meal.

It worked wonders and I was dropping about 8 lbs a week.

Its a shame I didn't stick with it, I went from 345 to 275 from February to April this year. I am slowly getting back into it to continue for my ultimate goal of 235.

It worked for me, not so much my wife. She lost 20 lbs and no matter what she did, just couldn't drop any more. Each person is a bit different, but this mix worked for me.

Good luck with the weight loss, I can tell you I feel amazing after dropping it. Disc Golf gets easier with every pound lost. My scores haven't gotten better but I can bust out 4 rounds in a row now.

I got up to 270 after heart surgery (and quitting cigs) in 2010, and I'm down to 225 now, but the biggest benefit from disc golf is being able to maintain the weight loss. I also ride bikes a lot, but getting out even for just 9 holes in the morning jump starts my metabolism and gets me moving early in the day. I'm more active now at 63 than I was at 23. Some people have special circumstances, but weight loss is really as simple as eating less and moving more. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Shakeology for breakfast
A serving of nuts (peanuts, walnuts, pistachios) with a fruit for a snack around 9am
Baked chicken breast with steamed veggies for lunch
Another serving of nuts and fruit for an afternoon snack around 3pm
Dinner is usually tuna salad with a couple hard boiled eggs, very light on the mayo
A gallon of water every day

I avoided breads, pasta and rice. No soda.

BJs has bags of frozen chicken breast individually packaged and huge bags of mixed veggies for stir fry. Every sunday I would do the meal prep and have my lunches all made up, my snacks individually packaged. In the morning before I leave for work, I made my shakeology, loaded up the cooler and was good to go for the whole day. No guessing what I am going to eat for my next meal.

It worked wonders and I was dropping about 8 lbs a week.

Just shoot me.

Something to keep in mind; when cutting out any source of calories you will lose weight. I dropped 30 lbs 20 years ago by cutting out all fat. Not smart, but that was the trend. 5 years ago I dropped those regained 30 lbs cutting out carbs which is a better idea IMO.

On another note; I quit bike riding 3 years ago due to neck pain, frequent acute gout flareups, and weird burning/cold sensations in my feet and legs. I was road riding fixed gear like a monster was chasing me at least an hour a day and sometimes several hours. No bike, no gout. I've gained 10 lbs back but it feels and looks like 30 lbs. Probably because I lost leg muscle and I'm getting to be an old fart.

I gained 5-8 pounds when I started playing an excessive amount of DG.

It took the place of running.

I started playing about six months ago and i lost 10 lbs the first 3 months unintentionally. Then, i quit drinking and lost another 10. I started building my life around disc golf and getting healthier was the only way to play more. I was not in the market for weight loss at all, but disc golf certainly helped me get my sh!t together. Ten years ago i was sneaking away to drink. Now, im sneaking away to squeeze in another round. Id trade 20lbs and drinking for disc golf any day.

Something to keep in mind; when cutting out any source of calories you will lose weight. I dropped 30 lbs 20 years ago by cutting out all fat. Not smart, but that was the trend. 5 years ago I dropped those regained 30 lbs cutting out carbs which is a better idea IMO.

On another note; I quit bike riding 3 years ago due to neck pain, frequent acute gout flareups, and weird burning/cold sensations in my feet and legs. I was road riding fixed gear like a monster was chasing me at least an hour a day and sometimes several hours. No bike, no gout. I've gained 10 lbs back but it feels and looks like 30 lbs. Probably because I lost leg muscle and I'm getting to be an old fart.

I'm one of those Paleo weirdos. I tried to do the conventional diet and exercise thing for years and the weight loss was excruciatingly slow and bounced back on the millisecond I wasn't active. Did strict paleo and it was like flipping a light switch for my body in ways beyond weight loss.

Agreed. I'm better without the carbs. Better cholesterol, triglyceride, and glucose numbers, way less heartburn, and more raging hard-ons. My wife keeps baking me cakes and pies. Weird.

Together with hiking in the Niagara River Gorge, and biking, disc golf has helped keep this lazy old fart's weight in check. But since late winter I've wanted to trim another 20 pounds off. With the help of my fitbit Blaze I've been able to realize why although I thought I was getting more exercise and eating less, my weight was staying the same.

I don't care what kind of weight loss plan anyone has. Losing weight is after all simple math. Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.

Bottom line, by meticulous tracking of my caloric intake thru my fitbit coupled with more disc golf and other exercise I've trimmed 10 pounds off. Instead of a casual stroll on the course, I've dramatically picked up my pace of play. A round at Hawk's Landing used to take me playing solo almost 2 hours; now around an hour. And instead of 1 round, time permitting I'm playing 2 or 3 rounds a day 3 to 4 times a week. Sometimes a round or two plus a Gorge hike (about 3 miles with approximately 300-400 crude stairs). Another thing I've done with the help of my sweet wife is play differently with her. In the past we would play individual rounds or a best shot round. But lately we've started playing Alternate Shot rounds. It was surprising how much quicker we play. Less time standing around. Playing at Joseph Davis SP would take us almost 3 hours for 27 holes in the past. Now we've trimmed that to around 2 hours.

As far as the simple math of weight loss goes I've given myself a 2500 calorie alowance per day with a 3000+ calorie burn per day. With the help of my fitbit doing this has been very easy.

Love my fitbit and love disc golf. And now I'm loving losing some weight too.

Last edited:
I understand completely. What's the point of life if you can't enjoy yourself.

Funny enough I was at dinner recently, eating a huge spinach salad, with a warm bacon dressing, and steak tips on top...and I didn't feel like I was dieting! Same thing happened Friday, while a friend had Pad Thai, I had a salad with an Asian dressing and grilled pork that honestly looked better than his meal! Heck, I stopped and got beef teriyaki for lunch the other day. Better than any fast food meal! Low carb heaven on a stick.

You can do it without following some specific regimen or depriving yourself! Just cut out the junk, bread, crackers, soda. Dose of protein for breakfast (eggs contain this great compound for your brain, its called...cholesterol), limit your carb intake, and eat "fresh" foods, avoid the middle rows of the grocery store, and you can eat healthy, lose weight, and feel better. After a few days....I found I don't get as hungry either!

Simply, you don't need to count anything, buy shakes, etc. Just cut out all the garbage (processed foods) and the pounds come off!