• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside boatman

jaw4

Bogey Member
What does this disc compare to? I know it was made for forarm... But how does it fly backhand?

I liked it for BH but it was just one of those good discs that did not make the bag. I would say it is predish in nature. I never really got a chance to test it in the wind I would be curious to see what others thought of it as a wind disc.

Cheers - Koffee

Can't help. Bought a Sword and didn't want another disc with similar characteristics from the same mfr.

Sword is pretty awesome.

Can't help. Bought a Sword and didn't want another disc with similar characteristics from the same mfr.

Sword is pretty awesome.

Sword is a way better rig IMO, but they are NOT that similar flightwise.

What does this disc compare to? I know it was made for forarm... But how does it fly backhand?

For me, it flies like a Lat64 xXx or a champ Firebird.

I bought all the Westside discs and I found that the flight ratings do NOT correspond to the Innova ratings. The Boatman has a fade rating of 2 and the King has a rating of 4. You would think the King would be overstable, but mine flies like a flippy Vulcan. Yet the Boatman flies as if it was supposed to have the fade rating of 4. :doh:

And I agree that the Sword is the winner of the bunch....

The Boatman sort of reminded me of a Starfire-x. It's not quite overstable enough to be classed with discs like the xxx/proper FB or even the Pred and it's faster than those as well. It also lacks the glide to really be more than a wind disc in terms of distance driving.

FWIW, I too love the Sword the best out of all their discs. It's my favorite distance driver in disc golf.

boatman is close to c-line dd or champion wraith. less glide and slower. Take wraith or dd instead.

I threw one shot with my buddy's Boatman. It flew like a Z Surge, but prettier and longer. I threw it BH though. It is my buddy's goto driver, and he makes some incredible shots with it FH. I'd never seen a disc fly 400ft, only 2 feet off the ground, until I saw him throw it.

I love my Boatman for the way it flies forehand straight with minimal fade. Boatman BH fade is big. My wife throws it in headwinds and for her version of hyzer bombs :) Her Boatman FH turns quick, but that's probably because she throws nose down a lot.

Last edited:
The Boatman sort of reminded me of a Starfire-x. It's not quite overstable enough to be classed with discs like the xxx/proper FB or even the Pred and it's faster than those as well. It also lacks the glide to really be more than a wind disc in terms of distance driving.

FWIW, I too love the Sword the best out of all their discs. It's my favorite distance driver in disc golf.

Agree with this in most part.

The stats on the Boatman led me to believe it was a shorter Sword since they are identical except for speed. This gave me the impression that it would be like a TeeBird. I was unfortunately surprised that this was not the case.

Backhand the Boatman is incredibly high speed stable, very resistant to turn and OAT. This did make it great into headwinds. However, it was how it behaved in the last 20 percent of the flight I did not like. It has incredible fade, very sudden and very hard. In fact it is so hard that it ditches straight into the ground, in actuality not really traveling far left (rhbh).

Again assuming rhbh, if you want to aim the disc you have to release a little to the right, expect it to hold that line the majority of the way there, and then it will dump into the ground 15ish feet off the original line. This make it hard to use the woods, really only making it useful in the open field where wind might be an issue.

I ended up going back to Firebirds because they have more forgiving lateral movement.

I have found that RHBH straight line with HSS and strong fade to be very useful in the wooded courses I regularly play...

Sounds like I need a Boatman.

I have found that RHBH straight line with HSS and strong fade to be very useful in the wooded courses I regularly play...

It really does depend on your courses I suppose. Just for comparison, most of the wooded courses I play require a straight shot at the basket where a hard fade would dump you back in the woods, or, if you want to fade in on target, the fairway was too narrow to aim right. If the hole does not require a straight shot, it needs a significant turn, something the Boatman does not do well with the exception of maybe a high anhzyer right where it will dump into the ground before fading back left.

Again, considering the courses around here TeeBirds and Eagles and mids are far better choices in the woods than the Boatman.

I fh the Boatman a lot. It flies very straight and stable and has a very nice predictable fade to it. It is my finesse disc for any long shots that I need to get around anything or need a slight hook. Mine is 174 tp and is amazingly stable and predictable unlike a Sword with the same stats I picked up. The Sword I have is way more overstable than the Boatman and fades quickly for me.

teerex would be a good comparson IMO i throw mine in the wind bh and fh for control distance. it is not as long as a surge for me.

The Sword I have is way more overstable than the Boatman and fades quickly for me.
What color? Westside discs are great, but I've heard of different colors being different stability... Lat64 sabotage!

What color? Westside discs are great, but I've heard of different colors being different stability... Lat64 sabotage!

The Boatman I have is red and the Sword is an amazing golden color. Even though I will probably never throw the Sword it is one of the best looking I have and will never give up.

the boatman is an awesome disc. it holds and carries a fade better than a force. definitely my new headwind driver.

I have noticed that the Boatman has MORE glide than what a firebird does, but is a little faster/longer. Ill use the boatman if I want to cover a LOT of lateral ground right to left whereas a Spirt or a Rage are more spike hyzer/skip applications, and a firebird is just Mr. Reliable for the 330 ft range with a decent amount of right to left trajectory. Its got enough stability to deal with most winds, but not so much that it just fades into a spike if put on a flat or slight hyzer line.

Its got its uses, which is why its still in the bag. Good forehand roller with minimal fade too. :thmbup:

Latest posts