• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside tursas

I still bag mine. In fact, at lorch park, in cedar hill Texas, I use it for half the drives on the back course.

If you release it nice and smooth and flat she will turn for about 300 ft on a nice steady arc. It might be my favorite flight and I almost always get asked what disc it is.

Imo the stingray is a little more stable. My hard pure is starting to overlap with the tursas now that it's really beat in but it seems like the pure has a later fade? Either way, it's a great disc.

I am a dedicated Tursas user.
I bought one based on some user feedback I read in one of the threads and it became a must-have disc due to it's glide and resistance to rolling and excessive turn.
Again, what I like about this disc is that it will resist too much turn while gliding with slight turn.
The other reason is that, if thrown flat and without a lot of snap, it is the longest mid-range that I have thrown. Longer than a Comet, Roc or Atlas for me. Easily 300+ ft for a thrower without a lot of power.

Refresh me. Tursas: More (over)stable than Fuses or less?

If anyone has a surplus of new Tursas' and can spare one, max weight or close to it, white, blue, pink, neon, I'd appreciate it! I just got one to compliment my seasoned one, and it now sleeps with the fishes.

Refresh me. Tursas: More (over)stable than Fuses or less?

I moved from Fuses to a Tursas because I felt they are more understable. If thrown flat a Tursas will always turn right for me. And if you need a bit more distance just put it on a hyzer-flip and it will go straight for a bit and then always starts turning right. I felt the Fuse could sneak up on me with more stability than I wanted sometimes.

I moved from Fuses to a Tursas because I felt they are more understable. If thrown flat a Tursas will always turn right for me. And if you need a bit more distance just put it on a hyzer-flip and it will go straight for a bit and then always starts turning right. I felt the Fuse could sneak up on me with more stability than I wanted sometimes.

That could definitely be. The fuse I had, years ago, were both a recycled and test material. They were both wildly understable, but so was my form then.

Necro!

So unfortunately for me I lost my most beat, perfect hyzerflip to whatever I wanted it to do Roc. I tried to buy a used one the same weight, not quite there yet, tried a QMS, not enough or the right kind of flip. After these failed attempts to get close enough until my other 2 rocs get in the zone, I resigned myself to just throwing forehands, and trying to make due with putters on those straight mid shots. While I love a classic aviar for dead straight flights, they need a little more height to get there, and sometimes a left to right shot is just better as a backhand turnover.

Yesterday I was going out to play my favorite wooded course (ditto in Hagerstown, md) and decided to give the tursas that's been sitting in my disc rack another try. I got it used a while back, 173g tournament plastic. I threw it a bit and liked it but didn't click with it better than that magic roc. As fate would have it, I clicked with it yesterday. Nipped chain on two drives, one a dead straight downhill tunnel with a low ceiling and pretty narrow gap, the other a 280' gradual bend to the right finishing about 40-50' right of the tee. Both holes were beat roc shots, but this thing did just what I wanted and flew pretty damn close to that beat ass roc on these, and other occasions as well.

Pros: comfortable hand feel and good plastic. Smooth, controllable flippiness without being too wild. Releases clean, likes a smooth throwing motion. Straight hyzerflip are easy, turnovers are also easy. Not super nose angle sensitive, but sensitive enough.

Cons: doesn't pan back to flat on a big turnover like a beat stable disc will, more sensitive to gusts and wind variation. It's not a beat roc, which is a perfect disc.

Overall it's not perfect, but it's damn good. Good enough to stay bagged until I get a roc or two back into that spot. And it's the closest I've come to an ace in quite a while, still hunting that first one. I'll take nipping chains and a 5' putt every damn time though.

^ Nice necrobump. All hail the mighty Tursas! :thmbup:

My super-beat Warship is always threatening to kick the Tursas out, but something about the "smooth, controllable flippiness..." keeps the Tursas around...

If it fought back at the end a bit more, and had the tendency to pan out to flat just a bit more....

I've been really trying to learn understable discs and the differences between out of the box understable and beat to understable. They fly different shapes for sure, and the tursas flies closest to a beat disc shape I have seen so far. Doesn't turn and burn, but doesn't get right then straighten out either.

I like the Tursas quite a bit, it feels like a less flippy Fuse in my experience. Smooth and controllable understability indeed

If it fought back at the end a bit more, and had the tendency to pan out to flat just a bit more....

That's exactly why I love it. Mine will flip to flat and ride a pretty straight line to the ground. There are a couple wooded holes around here you don't want fade at the end of the flight.

Tursas just bombs!

I've been really trying to learn understable discs and the differences between out of the box understable and beat to understable. They fly different shapes for sure, and the tursas flies closest to a beat disc shape I have seen so far. Doesn't turn and burn, but doesn't get right then straighten out either.

Try a (heavier) VIP Tursas if you are looking for a bit more "fight" at the end. The more dome the better...

I've always been keen to try this but I'm such a dedicated Fuse thrower...

Revival of a great mid. BroD, Tursas is more manageable than a Fuse, in my experience.

I'll add to the Tursas love. What a great disc. My first Tursas was a lighter TP, quickly found the 180 Vip to be the right fit though. The TP just got crazy turn and burn after a few tree hits. The heavy Vip ones keeps just the right stability imo. Cycling two Vip Tursas in the bag currently, they cover so many shots!

Yeah I'm a big fan of the Tursas, scaled back to a Comet lately. I bought one on impulse after vacation it was still in the store. Bought it late Tuesday took it straight out for Wednesday night dubs, clocked two aces and a ctp. It's always either a Comet or Tursas in the bag.

Bought a VIP Tursus same weight and plastic as my bagged Fuse. Gave it a head to head battle with said Fuse on a short technical course and it was pretty neck and neck. The Fuse was easier to turn predictably but I'm familiar with it and it's seasoned. The Tursas also has some noticeable flashing on the bottom I'm keen to wear off, probably making it a little more stable than it should be. I actually like how the Tursas feels in the hand better; the slightly sharper rim feels out my little mitts better.

Good glide, easy to hyzer flip straight. If I went to a Westside only bag I could convert from Fuse to Tursas easily. :) Made a nice 1-2 punch with my VIP Pine.

Yes that flashing has got to go.. Every westside disc I've bought has it. You are right it is less stable without it.

So I got my dad an underworld for Xmas. I went with him to test in field. He dug it but so did I. If I didn't already have a Relay I'd probably have an underworld on order.

Anyway, besides mid vs driver, how does Tursas compare if at all to an Underworld? Seem like they might have similar stability by numbers / charts anyway.