• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] What about Gateway?

Wizard is the best overall putter I've tried. By far my favorite driving putter. I think a beat wiz is better than a new one for putting, as new ones are a touch more stable than I like in a putting putter, but they still work just fine. It's extremely predictable and consistent for drive and approach, and versatile too. Holds a variety of lines when new, gets even better when beat.

I threw the Magic for a while and it's a great disc. Extremely accurate 250' an in without much practice with it. Very little fade and excellent glide on putts. Honestly it's probably what I consider the best putting putter I've tried, I just know the Wizard better, find the Wizard more comfortable in my hand, plus prefer it for driving and approach. the Magic can do some nice dead straight approaches, I just found hyzer approaches with the Wiz more predictable. I could hyzer flip the Magic for more distance than I could throw a fresh Wizard, but where they would land would be unpredictable. I do recall having some 350' hyzer flip throws with them that literally did not fade left or right whatsoever, and those were absolutely beautiful to watch. If I could do that 9/10 times, as opposed to 2/10 times, I'd be more inclined to carry it.

Tried out a few Voodoos. Main thing I didn't like about them was how they felt in my hand, in either a driving or putting grip. The fly really nice. Shorter range they fly real similar to the Wizard. Longer range they hold a straighter flight. They also work better when new compared to the Wiz for turnovers and anhyzers. It's a very accurate disc for any range you can throw it.

The Warrior isn't too bad. It's like a brand new KC roc (Just barely overstable in the low speed part of it's flight) with less glide. Didn't see any reason to throw it over a Roc other than the rim was more comfortable to my hand. Prefer my mids to have less fade than that, so I choose a Buzz, but if you're the type who uses mids for approach I could see the Warrior working well. I approach with putters.

The Element showed some potential, but I never felt like I had good control over it. I ended up off the fairways with this disc so many times when I was trying it out, more than nearly any other disc I've tried. I could hyzer flip it close to 400' when I hit it just right, but like the Magic that was less than 30% of the time. It has high speed under stability coupled with a fairly strong fade (176g Evo clear). I found it to be difficult to predict because of this. Sometimes my hyzer flip would flip too far and not come back, sometimes it wouldn't flip over and would fade out hard and early. Felt too touchy. I think the comet is a lot better for this type of disc. Sucks because the clear evo plastic is one of the best plastics I've thrown.

Spirit isn't for me either. It's very fast, and extremely overstable. Would make a good distance driver for 30mph headwinds, or serviceable thumber disc, otherwise I found no need for that much overstability. I'm much more content with Predators.

tldr, stick to the putters

Last edited:

Latest posts