• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are some good Roller discs?

Personally I like to roll with a beat Z AvengerSS but I have also heard discs with big rims will plow through the grass and bumps in the ground a little bit easier.

I roll primarily backhand. I use pretty much all my discs for rollers, depending on the line I want to shape.

The two rollers I use most often are for distance lines with low ceiling or for a shot that tails off right at the end where I don't have room to throw an anhyzer or turnover comfortably. For these two lines I usually use an understable disc like a Comet, Valkyrie, or my beat in Destroyer. All depends on the distance I want to cover.

I have two discs that are my favorite rollers, but I can get the job done with pretty much any disc. Also, it depends on how far I need the disc to travel / how much vertical space is available but I throw two different styles.

For shorter distance / tighter shots with low ceilings, or if I really need it to finish left, I prefer to turnover a 145g d Avenger SS.

For longer shots I like to use a 173g Z Surge and I throw this shot forehand on a pretty extreme hyzer (outer wing at 1-2 o'clock) that basically results in throwing overhand. The disc flies straight ~150-200' about 10-12' high. Maybe I got lucky learning this shot (if its really unorthodox lol), but I can always turn it over just enough that it sticks the landing right in time to roll straight for good extra distance (barring some tree, branch, stump, mole hill / other debris). I usually go with this method because I'm super consistent with that throw.

180g DX Stingray. Hands down. I can roll it backhand and forehand. Most people use an overstable disc for forehand rollers, but I just bring the edge of the disc down to where it's like I'm throwing a regular forehand air shot, then it flips over into a straightline roller.

Avenger SS until I lost it. Now I use a destroyed esp surge, or beat up dx leopard. Sometimes I'll throw my gazelle flat too low and it turns into a roller.

lol i even lost my avenger ss on a roller throw at the end of an evening round when it was getting dark.... couldn't find it afterwards. my theory is, it rolled past the basket on the 475' hole.

I have been messing around with rolling a beat champ valk that I have had since I started playing DG. Throwing it almost flat and letting it turn over. I have to land it at a pretty good angle because it keeps turning on the ground and eventually stands up.

My only problem is that there are very few places for a max-d roller around me. Also, the wooded holes usually have ground conditions that don't favor a roller, so even if I trusted myself with a short roller, it wouldn't be the shot I would take.

I will very occasionally throw a FH roller with a xXx. I have also been known to roll my putters in get-out-of-jail situations.

180g DX Stingray. Hands down. I can roll it backhand and forehand. Most people use an overstable disc for forehand rollers, but I just bring the edge of the disc down to where it's like I'm throwing a regular forehand air shot, then it flips over into a straightline roller.

:thmbup: This, plus the cobra rolls out there very well.

Honestly, nothing for me will ever beat the roller action of a max weight Condor. You can air them out pretty far and they will still roll forever. They will monster truck over smaller obstacles as well. Plus, they're nice and cheap and pretty easy to come by!

I used to use Sidewinders for rollers all the time, but lately I have been using my Rivers and they work great! It helps me with mold minimization to use Rivers too.

Last edited:
Zones. Forehand, that's how I roll. I keep three on hand, a fresh one for going left, a mildly experienced one for straight, and a beat to heck one for going right. (I throw left-handed.)