• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the best courses in TEXAS?

What is the best course in TEXAS?

• Austin Ridge

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Circle C

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Harry Meyers

• Lake Nacogdoches

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Lester Lorch Beaver

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lester Lorch Coyote

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Lindsey Gold Dogwood

• Roy Guerrero

• Selah Creekside

• Selah Lakeside

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Shawshank

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Texas Army Trail

• Towne Lake

• Turner Park

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Veterans

• Total voters
I've played 8 courses in Texas but non from the list. IMO the Lions Park in Temple is the best course I've seen. We also played Searight in Austin and enjoyed it.

On that list I've only played Rockwall and Veteran's and Circle C.

Moody's is better than those 3.

All 5 Circle R courses were better than those 3.

Sucks when the 5 best (or easily 5 of the best) courses in the state no longer exist.

FELLOW TEXANS PLEASE READ AND REPORT

I was just in Texas for the holidays and I was able to play my old home course in Amarillo. It was just such an incredibly sad sight. The drought and disease has killed about %60 of the trees and bushes on the course. There are holes that I used to love to play because of their beauty that are just decimated. Is this a trend that is happening at a lot of courses in Texas because of the drought?

Funny 4 of my top five have closed,

Circle R San Saba X2
Cricle R Wimberley X2
Z Boaz / Turner tied for fifth right now, however I have not yet played Roy G, may want to do that before the NT huh...

I really liked Pease park when it was around. Gave you a real culture experience. Homeless dudes living in the woods, campus live around you, great view of the Capitol building framed by trees on one hole and a handful of truely challenging golf hole to boot. This course really sticks out in my mind from my Texas trips.

Selah x 2
Austin Ridge
(Circle R x 2)
Live Oak Ingleside x 2
Shawshank
Wilco
Towne Lake
Jack Brooks x 2
Windwood
East metro

R.I.P. Pease, very true.

I tried not to be "biased" with the list as one observer said. For example, I live in Austin but I included way more Dallas-area courses even though I haven't touched foot on any of those. Forgot about Lake Lewisville, that's my bad!

I looked up all the 4.0+ rated courses and included all the ones I thought appropriate. There were some 9-holers that I left off and did not include Twin Parks in Dripping Springs. I now realize I should have put East Metro Manor on the list. I just didn't think anybody that has played all the Austin courses would pick Manor as the best over the other three I did include.

I just realized I didn't give San Antonio any choices with Universal City and Live Oak down there. Anyway, this is why I asked for a Top 5 outside of the poll, so you can tell me what your favorites are and not the other way around.

The only reason I included TX Army Trail is because I did not see any Houston-area representation so I tried to include the one I have heard was good in that area. I've never heard anybody say a Houston course was a killer must-play. Somebody can correct that assertion?

Did you play all 3? Which one doesn't make it? I assume Greenbelt, although I could see somebody liking it more than River.

Loved the river, yes greenbelt was left out..

It seems all my courses are not around, or were temp, i also really enjoyed the original layout of Rivery many years ago when you could open up on it. Cameron Beast course, and White Rock lake was a fun course which still presented some challenges nice and scenic too

Cameron Beast and Lion's Temple should probably get some honorable mention. I forgot about Z-Boaz, too. Man I gotta get to Dallas for some golfin'...

1. Selah Creekside
2. Selah Lakeside
3. East Metro
4. Roy. G
5. Circle C/Austin Ridge (dead even in my book).

Obviously I'm a little central Texas biased but that is where I live and play. Would love to hit up DFW and Houston area soon.

PS - Why no love for East Metro in the poll......I call Shenanigans!

Last edited:
Yes that's my bad on East Metro. You like Roy more than Circle/Ridge huh? I just don't think it has the signature holes the others have. It's fun, though. I play it almost every Saturday.

Selah is obviously in a class of it's own, not much comparison to anywhere else in the state or country for that matter.

That being said, if it were a vote on the entire park/experience, then Lindsey Park should be at least included in the conversation for top 3 locations in the state. Now, I admit I'm a little biased because it's my home park (I have played most of the DFW courses and several around Austin), but Lindsey Gold is accompanied by two more very good courses. There are few places that you can go and access 3 courses (especially of this quality) from one parking lot. In order of difficulty (hardest first):

Lindsey Gold = Dogwood (championship course in the woods)
Lindsey Red = Cedar (Long, fun, crazy huge 3-tier limestone pyramid)
Lindsey Blue = Hickory (2 big holes, but not as long overall, easiest in the park, still very fun)

All 3 have concrete tee pads and either disc catcher or mach 5 baskets. Dogwood has one set of tees, with multiple pin placements on all but 3 holes. Cedar has one set of pins, except for 2 holes with alternates, with long/short tee pads on all but 2 holes. Hickory has 5 holes with alternate pins and long/short tee pads on all but 4 holes. The park is well taken care of, there's food and convenience stores close by, and you could easily play an entire weekend and not throw the same hole twice. (especially if you get lucky and get to play both Dogwood configurations, although they usually only get switched every couple of months) If you play a tournament here, there's a good chance of getting to play both sets of pins if you play adv or open. This place should be on every out-of-towner's radar if you're going to be anywhere close to Tyler. We're right between Dallas and Shreveport, about 2 hours south of Selah, and about 4 hours north/northeast of Austin. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,
Will

Unfortunately, I have not made it to Selah yet. Sad, being a TX native and all...

1. Shawshank
2. Austin Ridge
3. Circle C
4. Snow Farm (not on the list, but I love it there)
5. Turner

That's my mood today - I think any of these can switch positions and a bunch of others could take the #5 spot from Turner IMO.

I think one of the most underrated is crowley bicentinnal dgc. It doesn't get the foot traffics that zboaz and veterans in Arlington gets. But I think it uses some of the best elevation changes. It is also a park where you will need more the. One or two type of shots. I have decided sometime this summer when I have a lot of daylight to work with is to do the best of Dfw and try to hit bicent zboaz veterans turned park and bear creek. Which all 5 of those are extremely great courses. Or maybe exchange two of those courses for cedar creeks two. Either way those 7 can all be high on the list

Selah is obviously in a class of it's own, not much comparison to anywhere else in the state or country for that matter.

That being said, if it were a vote on the entire park/experience, then Lindsey Park should be at least included in the conversation for top 3 locations in the state.

I agree with that. The pine trees are so much better than the cedars in Austin. Austin is rocky and cedar while Tyler is red dirt and pines, which I definitely prefer. There is so much good land up there it's absurd. I would love to open a destination DG Ranch with an onsite brewery and BNB. Now all I need is that right lotto ticket to make it happen.

I will be playing every tournament possible up there this year. I played War of the Roses and Piney Woods Open last year. Anybody that goes near Tyler must play Lindsey Park. Three GREAT courses.

I agree with that. The pine trees are so much better than the cedars in Austin. Austin is rocky and cedar while Tyler is red dirt and pines, which I definitely prefer. There is so much good land up there it's absurd. I would love to open a destination DG Ranch with an onsite brewery and BNB. Now all I need is that right lotto ticket to make it happen.

I will be playing every tournament possible up there this year. I played War of the Roses and Piney Woods Open last year. Anybody that goes near Tyler must play Lindsey Park. Three GREAT courses.

Keep me posted if you get that right lotto ticket! Thanks for the kind words about Lindsey. We're having an Ice Bowl on the 19th this month, Kevin is in the process of getting approval for War of the Roses II at the end of July, and I fully expect Jeremy and DD to come back for PWO X in November. (and I expect over 200 players this time) Spread the word!

Yes that's my bad on East Metro. You like Roy more than Circle/Ridge huh? I just don't think it has the signature holes the others have. It's fun, though. I play it almost every Saturday.

Roy is slightly above those two simply because I have played it more often and had more memorable rounds. I really need to play Austin Ridge as I haven't since concrete pads were put in. Probably would bump it up.