• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
The #2 Upshot by Lighting was really popular when the Classic ROC was not even in limited production like now in Star, though the #2 Upshot is more like a better gliding Bullfrog in flight. It is besides the Rubber putter the only disc from old Lighting company to still sell well after better disc brands came out.

I guess a Classic Roc is one though on the list of Innova stuff it keeps bouncing from midrange to putter to midrange now. Technically a Putter since the current standard ROC came out for the longest Innova disc at the time in 1987.

Yeah, the Zone/Harp/Pig-type discs to me are not putters, basically because no one putts with them.

That's kind of where I'm starting mentally. Those will probably be a different video, Anvil, Ruin, Entropy and others maybe in that one as well.

My vote goes to the Steady because it's my favorite and performs just as well as a Wizard and/or Big Bead Aviar, which are the gold standard in this category IMO. If I'm being honest, Big Bead Aviar is probably the right answer because of its place in history and influence on the molds that followed. There really are a lot of excellent options, including more recent releases such as the Pure, Envy and Luna.

Not a bad idea. Where would you start?

Shot style? I've been thinking about this after I hit submit, and I'm not really getting a concrete idea. I just know a Magic isn't going hang with an Envy as the distances grow, but it you need a turnover at x distance, the Magic is going to top the Envy. In all honesty, if it's just outright usable distance, I think the Envy will be hard to beat. Maybe the Luna?

For me it's zone and a nova. Zone is the best forehand approach disc period. I'm a sucker for floaty upshots. Rather it be a rattler or nova I love throwing this shot. The nova is a little bit more comfortable and fits better in my bag.

A DX Aviar P&A was in the three disc set my wife got me off of eBay that started me down this disc golf journey.

I have always bagged one since day one.

I added a Star P&A shortly after and then a Star BB. Changed to JKs for putting after a couple years.

I throw putters A LOT, and have never bagged a non-Aviar putter for throwing or putting. (Not counting the Zone.)

TLDR? Jimmy likee Aviars.

I like the idea of the choice one would make if it were the only putter mold one carries, and can be in only one plastic.

For me, if I have to be able to putt and throw it, I choose the BT Hard Shield. John E McCray has been putting and throwing BT Medium Shields with success for years. So, he's got it just about right. ;)

Last edited:
Wizard should probably be on the list.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Literally the first disc on the list.

:wall:
Ha, I did not see it was a poll. Polls don't show up in the mobile app I'm using. It makes a lot more sense that no one commented it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts