• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the secret shots in your bag?

whiz

Eagle Member
I was thinking today about shots that I throw on the course that I see very few other people ever use and so I want to hear about the shots you use that none of your friends use. Obviously, most of us are familiar with your standard backhand and forehand shots but how about some more unconventional ones.

Let's hear it!

on hole 13 at highland park you have to throw up a staircase right off the tee, then go back about 250' more on top of the hill, so while most people try to work airshots, I throw what would be a tomahawk, but actually ends up a fh roller. Several pros in my area have even told me I'm the only one who they've seen throw that shot.

Hole 7 Kit Carson Park, theres a line straight down to the pin but its low and has 1 tree in the middle that I cant seem to miss. I throw a big anhyzer about 100' left of the middle gap around the trees and through hole 13's fairway.

After my drive I take a second drive with my mini and place it right in front of my original drive. Works every time.;)

After my drive I take a second drive with my mini and place it right in front of my original drive. Works every time.;)
IIRC I actually "borrowed" the roller shot I just posted about from this guy:thmbup:

I can throw a tomahawk that remains completely vertical for the entire flight, I mainly use it to get straight up and over and obstacle and it hits and sits right where it comes down

Disclaimer: All directions are given for right-handedness. Flip directions for lefties.

I will start with a couple of my favorites:

The grenade:

This is a very easily learned shot that more people should try. While it does not go very far it has the benefit of being very, very predictable and with an overstable disc it will straight in front of you every time.

How to throw it:
To start, you put your thumb UNDER the disc rather than on the top. The pad of your thumb can either be oriented against the flight plate or against the inside of the rim of the disc. You then throw the disc similarly to a spike hyzer (disc oriented vertical toward the ground in your hand) but you aim straight at your target between 30' and 70ish feet in the air.

Pros:
Again, this is a very consistent shot. The wind will not have much of an effect on it and it is very easy to control the distance. I will sometimes use this shot if there is a green where I absolutely cannot go long. It is also very useful in the woods to get back to the fairway because the disc is essentially vertical during the whole flight and it can squeeze through tight gaps in the treetops.

Cons:
It is almost impossible to throw this shot over 250ish feet. The disc will sometimes also roll or bounce a few feet when it lands.

Other things to mess around with:
Try throwing a flippy disc for a grenade. It can pan out and finish to the right for a very unique flightpath. Try throwing as if you were throwing a high flat shot but again, with the disc upside down in your hand. You can get a bit of left-right motion before the disc spikes, similar to the turn of a tomahawk.

Thumber roller
This is a more difficult shot that can require some practice but it is great for tight right-turn doglegs and for getting out of trouble.

How:
To start throwing this shot you want to use a very overstable disc (firebird, xxx, xtreme, trident, predator, max, flick). You throw the shot like a thumber but with the top of the disc pointed over your left shoulder. You are trying to land the disc on a 60 degrees angle to the ground with the disc leaning to the left. You will want to aim about 20' to the left of your line in order to compensate for the disc's motion before it lands on the ground. You may have to experiment with bending over to your left a bit to fiddle with getting the disc to land. The disc will flip over onto the flight plate VERY quickly once it starts rolling, especially with a less stable disc. The key is really to land the disc as close to the 60 degree angle as possible.

Pros:
If you throw this shot correctly with an overstable disc you can get 300+ feet of distance. If you land the disc closer to vertical you can get an upside-down u-shaped shot with the disc finishing rolling back toward you almost. This can very crucial on certain holes or approach shots. This is also a very good shot to squeak out of a tight lie in the woods. Because you release the disc close to vertical you can hit a tight gap and then get a roll down the fairway. If you release the disc vertical and throw it higher you can get a tight cut roll to the right.

Cons:
This can be a difficult shot to learn. It is not very useful if the ground is bumpy/rocky/rooty. It really is essential to have a very overstable disc for this shot. This is a very touchy shot in that if the angle of the disc is wrong when it hits the ground it can end up very far from where you plan.

Other things to mess around with:
Try throwing midranges or putters for shorter shots. Try throwing where the disc is passing almost flat over your head during the throw before you release it. See if you can roll a disc out and around the back side of a tree or bush.

Have fun and let's hear your secret shots!

Bholy: What disc do you throw for that and how do you throw it? I would guess something overstable with very little snap/spin.

^ actually I use an understable putter (beat hydra) and throw with wrist only from shoulder blade to release at top of the head...same two finger grip that is used for most forehand shots, range about 100ft but with about 40ft of height if necessary

A secret shot that I have yet to figure out is making those in the circle putts that I need for the par! Seen improvement, but I'm not quite 'money' yet.

More to what the OP was getting at, I think, I would say left handed approach shots for a right handed player. I'll forehand these too, but I'm almost more consistent left handed and it gives lefty something to do!

As a take-off on the grenade, I'll throw them on a flex line for some super tight s-curves.

I love throwing FH and thumber rollers in the woods. A vertical disc has much less area to hit a tree than a horizontal one.

If I'm behind a bush or something that won't allow a normal putting motion (from my standard push putt stance or from a straddle putt stance) I'll throw an overhand putt. I guess that it's actually just a short little tomahawk. The throw motion goes over my head and releases between vertical and a 45 degree angle. It consistently hits the chains upside down and sticks great.

I have several pins around my course with shrubs and such around the pins so I got to this shot relatively frequently.

Anyone else ever seen a turbo putt thrown with the disc thrown upside down? Saw a pro use it to get around a tree to sink a tough putt

i throw a lot of tomahawk upshots with my fb. when i park it people are like wtf?

also FH rollers, and big anny drives, to get around trees and such, with my kc pro aviars off the tee.

my one buddy throws a lot of chicken wings. its great.

I throw a tomahawk right at this big old tree in the middle of the fairway directly between the tee and the basket, i try to cut that thing in half and the disc always flips its way around and jams in hard to the dirt. The only time i ever throw my groove!

^course? If this is something you do on only one hole then it would be nice to know the specific situation:) if the groove works for you then more power to you

What are the secret shots in your bag?

I'm not telling ANYONE what I keep in my bag flask...otherwise, it would no longer be secret. :|

Quizenberry(Billy Crump T.m.)- Like a side arm thumber that hooks really hard and when it hits the ground it squibs straight right. usually use a beat in Champ banshee. or a skip thumber that flairs real big. Have come close to several aces on short holes and throw ins havent gotten one yet :-(

Also A pancake thumber. I use an X Buzz and release the disc high with little snap. Glides down left and slides a good way on its back.

I know other people use these but Ive personally never played with anyone else that does.

Also throw the overhead rollers that I learned from Someone by the name of Paul/whiz :thmbup: usually use Wizard/roc/max

I really do throw a lot of weird thumber shots that I probably cant describe. Good thing is The rest of my game is starting to catch up now

Last edited:
The very first time I played disc golf no one told me how to hold a disc, much less throw one. Anyways, I set up for a forehand, only I put my first finger facing backwards from the target, on the rim of the disc. I threw it as hard as I could, and it resulted in the ugliest disc flight that just flopped in the air and fell about 15-20' in front of me. I was told it was the worst throw they had ever seen, and they said they had seen a lot of bad throws.

Anyways, I never forgot how I did that. So now that I can actually play, sometimes for a joke, I will brag myself up to the point that people want to punch me, then I throw that shot. They think I am so punked when that happens. ;) *If I was a gambling man, I could make a LOT of money with that shot.