• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What area produces the best disc golfers?

I don't think where you live matters at all.......It's all about personal talent and perseverance in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree. Areas with highly skilled players produce highly skilled players much quicker and more frequently than areas with just a few standouts. Players teach each other and push each other in ways that you just can't do on your own island.

Ignoring the Scandanavian players for a moment, the majority of the talent in the US is coming from warm weather regions. New England has a lot of quality players, but I think development gets slowed by the fact that we have to adjust to constantly changing weather conditions.

But, if we don't ignore the Scandinavian players, doesn't their situation invalidate the warm-climate argument?

I respectfully disagree. Areas with highly skilled players produce highly skilled players much quicker and more frequently than areas with just a few standouts. Players teach each other and push each other in ways that you just can't do on your own island.

nvmd

Last edited:
"Areas with highly skilled players produce highly skilled players much quicker and more frequently than areas with just a few standouts. Players teach each other and push each other in ways that you just can't do on your own island."

This is very true!

.. and that's not including all of our super high rated ams that are bagging it up

Yeah. And honestly the numbers are skewed anyhow since there are a lot of very low rated players registered as Pro. each state has multiple "Pro Men" registered in the low 800s that are messing with the averages. I think doing rating averages on men <=40 years old, and >=965 rating would show more accurate and interesting numbers.

Just an FYI to everyone, I did the Oregon average before any of the others, I didn't know we'd have a higher average. It was, however, a cool surprise. :)

It'd be interesting if any states with more than 40 pros have an average higher than 970.

It's going to skew things too that different areas have different lines where most people move between divisions. Some places like NC have a lot of high rated ams. Other places, you're a bagger if you don't move up 50 points below the cutoff.

It's going to skew things too that different areas have different lines where most people move between divisions. Some places like NC have a lot of high rated ams. Other places, you're a bagger if you don't move up 50 points below the cutoff.

Yep. I feel that most people in Oregon move to MPO when they reach 965-970. We obviously have a couple of MA1 players in the 980s and such, but every state does. However, for every 980 MA1 player, we've got at least two 940 MPO players.

Interesting analysis. Makes me really want to travel to North Carolina and play all their awesome courses.

I have to say I feel really lucky to have Delaveaga as my home course in Northern California. I'm sure I would suck a lot worse if I didn't get beaten into submission by this course multiple times a week. That personal best score, first-time birdie, clutch putt, or longest drive yet, really means a lot, and makes you want to work harder to improve, when the next miss might roll 100 feet down a ravine. The only thing it doesn't teach me is about the wind.

area with best folfers

Per capita would probably be Montana. I have played on courses from Virginia to California. I liked playing in Oregon the best and played with some of the top pros. I liked California only because I threw an ace and they all gave me a dollar. Of course one of the top pros in Montana is related to me so I may be prejudice.

Ken Climo = 13x world champ

Gregg Hosfeld= 3x world champ

I would say Florida has produced some good Disc Golfers.

Paul Mcbeast also lives in Florida now. We can't claim him as our own though as I am sure he will always be a Cali guy in his heart his whole life.

All I'll say is Midwesterners should be better at putting since the great plains always produce stiff 15-35 mph winds on most days.

Latest posts