• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What course won't you play alone?

Found drugs at Mt. Airy last summer. Will play again. (I ground it into the dirt and leaves)
I passed on playing a course near Sarasota, FL, because this dumb Hoosier don't know much about gators, and they were mentioned in a review.

Gators are not that big of an issue on the courses in FL. You would have been fine unless you had a small dog with you.

I played at a private course on Sunday and we found some drug paraphernalia. It's definitely the safest place around. I won't even post what I found at the Blockhouse in a round. I'd hate for someone to start a thread calling that place a meth lab.

I have no fear of being robbed at the blockhouse. Drugs alone do not make a place unsafe, but it is often an indicator of the surroundings.

Ive heard a lot of bad things about kelsey scott park in Salisbury Nc but Ive never had any trouble. I think New013 about saw a gang fight erupt there.

Luther Britt park in lumbrton NC definatly had its moments when I would play there. people doing drugs in the woods and a guy who just had that look of a crackhead that would follow me around and one time just picked up a stack of discs and my bag and started walking away while I was searching the water for a friends plastic. Some shady people in that park.

I think I may hav found the trick to boyd hill. play at 9am on a saturday........I reckon crackheads dont wake up that early.

I never had any issues at Mazerick park but Bro D may have seen somthing I didnt.

I have played Kelsey Scott twice and once I played it alone. the area is not the safest, but It did not make my top 5. I never had any issues there.

most threatened i have ever felt while actually on a course was by a cow...

Sneaking on to Hawk Hallow during breeding season would be far more dangerous than Gillies :)

I'll never play BOP alone.

F. That's a lie, I camped out at BOP by myself and when I woke up in the morning I tossed a few holes with the sunrise.

Thought I had something there.

I guess there's a handful of private courses that I've played with the owners that I will probably never have the opportunity to play alone.

LOL:popcorn: Thanks for the laugh Martin! I've yet to play BOP alone, I think it would be a great experience. Caleb could probably tell you all about it...

I guess I've been lucky that I've never encountered a course that I wouldn't play alone, which is a good thing because I play alone quite a bit when I'm traveling. There have been a few courses I have played that were not in the best of neighborhoods, but nothing so bad I felt like I couldn't play it in the daytime by myself.

There is one unlisted course up in the mountains up here where you tee off from a huge rock on one hole, then back past it on another. When you play back past it, the hole is named Lions Den, as one of the course designers figured out that there was a mountain lions den inside the rock that you tee off of. I've been out here a few times by myself at night and been able to hear it stalking me, but this is one of the 2 reasons that I carry my 9mm out there when I play by myself. I also have run into a few rattlesnakes up there as well, but have yet to had the need to shoot one yet. It's just nice to have the peace of mind to know that you can if one chooses to get feisty.

I was talking about the projects in the background. I don't even see barbwire lol

it's actually part of a piece of property owned by the city that (i believe) is part of the water treatment facility. certainly not housing, but thanks for the generalization. this coming from someone who lives in south jersey and plays in philly? i'll take baltimore over camden any day of the week!

I've yet to play a course that I wouldn't go back and play alone. Druid Hill in Baltimore is in a rough neighborhood but I've played rounds there by myself and have never felt threatened by anyone.

that's because the DG traffic has scared off all of the riff-raff. i started playing at druid and logged probably 800+ rounds there in my first 2 years. never heard of or saw any issues with gangs/hobos/etc. every once in a while i would see people getting high (on something) in their cars in plain view. i would walk over and tell them to get lost because i didn't want the cops harassing us because of drug paraphernalia that other people were leaving on the ground.

5. Lake Montebello, Baltimore, MD.
I was worried about leaving my car unattended, That area of Baltimore is pretty dangerous.

don't worry rube, i don't think anyone is very interested in that compact chevy you drive :p don't leave valuables in plain view and no one will touch your car. the unfortunate truth about baltimore is that it's only dangerous if you're a black male and between the ages of 15-40. a white guy walking around with a bag of frisbees is more or less invisible. there is weekly winter glow at druid hill and no one has ever been robbed or harassed, except by the police.

big ole' baltimore city must seem awfully crazy to a country bumpkin like you, but since you don't live there and rarely play the courses - you're not qualified to tell people that it's dangerous. because it's not. please STFU and stick to what you're good at - prerubing noobs.

don't worry rube, i don't think anyone is very interested in that compact chevy you drive :p don't leave valuables in plain view and no one will touch your car. the unfortunate truth about baltimore is that it's only dangerous if you're a black male and between the ages of 15-40. a white guy walking around with a bag of frisbees is more or less invisible. there is weekly winter glow at druid hill and no one has ever been robbed or harassed, except by the police.

big ole' baltimore city must seem awfully crazy to a country bumpkin like you, but since you don't live there and rarely play the courses - you're not qualified to tell people that it's dangerous. because it's not. please STFU and stick to what you're good at - prerubing noobs.

I drive a Pontiac and I in live in Prince George's County MD. It takes a lot for an area to seem ghetto to me. I lived in District Heights for over a year where are you? in a nice, safe, rich Annapolis?
When we drove by Lake Montebello, my assistant coach, who lives in SE DC said you could not pay him to live in that neighborhood.

Last edited:
After the unfortunate death of a girl (Sad story had her whole life ahead of her) at Shady Oaks (right next to the course) Streamwood IL. I wouldn't be a big fan of going there......especially if my disc ended up in the cattails.

I won't go by myself to most courses in the Joliet area of IL, let alone bring my kids there. I also wouldn't leave anything "valuable" in my car if I were out playing. If I do go alone, I like to get there early before all the young riff raff gets out of class.

I've heard stories about some courses in the Milwaukee/Kansas City area being a bit sketchy.

In general, anytime I play a course in or around a heavily populated area I try to use common sense. I've been hearing stories from people all over the country about thieves breaking into vehicles on disc golf courses because they know you're not coming back for a while.

^heard of a shooting at estabrook or dineen, cant remember. Estabrook is in a semi decent area, however dineen isnt. I wouldnt play dineen alone but possibly estabrook

1. Barber park is in a fuktup part of Greensboro.
2. Rocky Mount is a fuktup city.
3. Fayetteville is also a fuktup city.
4. Ronny is in a weird part of Charlotte.
5. Charlotte is weird.
6. If a deaf guy can hear the gunshots you're already fukt.

Just some unsavory types getting their drink on in the parking lot. The park is right beside an elementary school so it doesn't worry me too much but that area of Fayette-Nam isn't the nicest and that course takes you all over the place. I could easily see a break-in happening.

Speaking of break-ins, I always heard that the Rocky Mount courses were notorious for this. How bad is it?

Hmmm I haven't heard that nor have I seen anyone who has been broken into. Although I do not play there outside of monthlies lol

When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was that this was going to be a discussion about what course you would not play alone because you are afraid of losing discs because of no spotters.

I was all ready to talk about Highbridge Hills. I have played all those courses alone, but I take a lot of my shots just so that I can keep them in sight.

And then I started reading some of these posts. Boy is Highbridge Hills the complete opposite of what you are looking for in this thread. You could leave most of your valuables near or in your tent and be gone all day. I did have a glow disc stolen from me WHILE we were playing a night round, but overall there is no safer place on earth than there. Clean-up some of the fairways, redo Bear, and you have yourself disc golf heaven.

There is an old object course in Pebble Beach, I could park over at the local hospital and hike into Pebble Beach, but I hear the object course is not well marked, and I might bump into Clint Eastwood, and he might call me a punk and ask me if I feel lucky, so I just avoid the place.

I drive a Pontiac and I in live in Prince George's County MD.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

It takes a lot for an area to seem ghetto to me. I lived in District Heights for over a year where are you? in a nice, safe, rich Annapolis?

i live close to the 'ghetto' part of annapolis and get all kinds of funny reactions when i tell people at work. i've been here for a bit over a year and it's perfectly safe, i have no qualms about walking back from the neighborhood bar after closing. i lived in bmore city for 3 years - in reservoir hill just off north ave. and then on 35th and greenmount. is that enough 'street cred' for you? nah probably not since they weren't on 'the wire'. keep bashing the baltimore courses that you know so well :clap:

I avoid Kentwood and Cedar Hills in Raleigh. They ate not bf courses, just busy. I can hit Buckhorn, UNC and soon Rock Ridge all with shorter drives.

Sugaw and Kilborne seem to be a little unsavory when I visit Charlotte. I'll play them in the summer while it's bright out!

The barbwire is not the part of Montebello to be worried about. Montebello and Druid are in basically the same type of area.

I had a guy come at me at Montebello yelling that I dented his car when I threw a roller. I think Martin Degwartia may have been with me, it may have been a different day.

I was with you. The guy was just looking to make a buck! There was no way you dented his car. I did not even see a dent.

Latest posts