• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you say to a disc diving card mate?

jenb

* Ace Member *
So once in tournament a card mate playing his first tournament revealed that he routinely disc dives and sells the discs, and never calls numbers. Then, a loner newbie joined my card in a casual round and revealed much the same thing, except the selling part.

What do you say to people like this when you encounter them?

I didn't say much during the tournament, but during the casual round I mentioned that the guy might find that, as he gets more acquainted with the disc golf community, he will find players pressuring him to call the numbers. He said he'd think about it.

I tell them that Karma is a bitch. You may end up not calling a guy, playing a round with them with their disc and then having to explain why you were the douche bag that didn't call them back. That never makes for a good time.

The way I see it is if I won't swim to get it then its lost. I always call to try and return discs but if its in a pond and I don't have the guts to swim for it it's my loss finders keepers. I watched a buddy throw one into the middle of a big pond whoever finds that one is the man. Now bash if u want to lol.

The way I see it is if I won't swim to get it then its lost. I always call to try and return discs but if its in a pond and I don't have the guts to swim for it it's my loss finders keepers. I watched a buddy throw one into the middle of a big pond whoever finds that one is the man. Now bash if u want to lol.

I see it this way, too.
Be a bonus to get a call, but I don't expect one because I consider the disc gone.

You can say you don't want the disc back but its still nice to call the guy

I'd ask him if he knows that that makes him an a-hole. And if he's comfortable being such a douche bag then fine so be it.

Finders keepers loser weepers.

Lotta weepers all up in this thread. :|

I've hopped in a pond to retrieve a disc I lost. Took me 35 minutes to find it b/c the water was so merky. Ended up pulling out 7 including mine. Called all the numbers. 5 Got returned. 1, the number no longer worked, so I kept it, eventually sold it. I think I was being fair. But to go diving just for fun to make money, thats another story. You may say its justified b/c he went in to get discs, and the person who threw it didn't, but the diver is going in strictly to make money. Not like he splashed one of his own and found a few in the process. Theres other, more honest ways to make a buck.

can we just merge this to other 1000 threads covering this....seems to get flamey really quick.

What if the person can't swim? :|

I wouldn't say anything because it's likely they won't change regardless if you say something or not. To the person who says they don't know, yeah I like putting my number on my discs so complete strangers will have it in case of an emergency.

What if the person can't swim? :|

I wouldn't say anything because it's likely they won't change regardless if you say something or not. To the person who says they don't know, yeah I like putting my number on my discs so complete strangers will have it in case of an emergency.

Can't swim, is in a tournament round, doesn't want to hold up his friends, swam and looked for the disc and never called, weather wouldn't allow him to swim, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, and anyone who says the phrase 'finders keepers losers wheepers' and isn't 12 years old, you should re-think who you are as a person.

man this is tough a diver takes extra effort to retrieve discs. the original owner did not go in after the discs so i would call them lost for good. But a disc with a name and number is the same whether fished out or found on the course. he is still a douche but not as much as non diving non disc returners.

I have wondered for a long time what people on this forum thought about finding lost discs. Now with this thread I'll finally know. :popcorn:

You could thank the guy for cleaning up the litter from thoughtless players that are "too good" to go in and get their own disc.

I've stopped caring about losing discs. If I quit looking I'm not expecting a call back. If I get one that's awesome, but I've never been called back for one yet. I don't throw anything OOP so everything is replaceable.