• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you say to a disc diving card mate?

I hope you were at least sure it was a cell number?

I'd say if you're going to feel ethically justified in having called a number and then keep the disc, you'd better actually call it! And leave at least a voice message, at least once.

u need to put your cell number on the disc...

house number was on a old disc i found but it was so unique i was able to track down the owner from other locals.

but YOU NEED A CELL PHONE NUMBER on it.

i'm actually going to stop calling numbers on found discs. i'll take a few pictures of where i'm stashing it at the course and use my google voice number to send it and the pics of location to that number.

too many times the people i'm returning the disc to aren't in a hurry to get them and i end up with box of discs that i'm constaintly calling.

too much effort...i'll hide it and post pictures you go find it when you get the time.

so if you get that txt it is elnino!!!

Q: What do you say to a disc diving card mate? A: Dude! You're dripping water all over the tee box!

Answer 2: sorry about the parasites. :eek: I lose a lot of plastic in the lakes and creeks on my local courses. Two news ones next year will feature deep, swift water as an obstacle, so that's not about to change. Throw cheap, preferably used plastic on these shots is my philosophy. I try like hell to get my lost ones back. Most times, I do. But if I found someone tossing one of my lost discs, I'm not going to start a fight over it. It's just plastic.

Last edited:
Answer 3: "go jump in a lake! No, wait. Don't. Or...Um..."

u need to put your cell number on the disc...

house number was on a old disc i found but it was so unique i was able to track down the owner from other locals.

but YOU NEED A CELL PHONE NUMBER on it.

i'm actually going to stop calling numbers on found discs. i'll take a few pictures of where i'm stashing it at the course and use my google voice number to send it and the pics of location to that number.

too many times the people i'm returning the disc to aren't in a hurry to get them and i end up with box of discs that i'm constaintly calling.

too much effort...i'll hide it and post pictures you go find it when you get the time.

so if you get that txt it is elnino!!!

All cell phones do not accept and receive text messages.

1 or 2 phone calls/voicemail messages to any phone number in an effort to re-unite a disc with it's original/former owner should not be considered a burden to anyone.

Let me ask this... I live in South Florida, my home course has plenty of water and I lose plenty of plastic in the lakes in the park. I almost always go in to look for my lost discs, the problem down here is gators, water moccasins and snapping turtle, and gators down here a very likley, but I am still willing to go in after them. When I do I usually will find other discs since alot of people are not willing to risk going in after, I will ALWAYS call the phone # of any discs I find, however I would not look down on someone who did not since they are taking a serious risk going in to retrieve discs down here, do any of you think the same? I do like the feeling I get when someone can't believe I actually called to return the disc they thought they would never see again.

Let me ask this... I live in South Florida, my home course has plenty of water and I lose plenty of plastic in the lakes in the park. I almost always go in to look for my lost discs, the problem down here is gators, water moccasins and snapping turtle, and gators down here a very likley, but I am still willing to go in after them. When I do I usually will find other discs since alot of people are not willing to risk going in after, I will ALWAYS call the phone # of any discs I find, however I would not look down on someone who did not since they are taking a serious risk going in to retrieve discs down here, do any of you think the same? I do like the feeling I get when someone can't believe I actually called to return the disc they thought they would never see again.

I'm from Florida too, and yes, those ponds are a deathtrap...And i agree with you. I like the feeling as well when someone is surprised and happy to get one back.

It is always the right thing to do to offer to return someone's property to them. You have no idea the circumstances which brought the disc to that place. The only thing you know is that it's not yours.

The right thing for the disc owner to do, if the retrieval is extraordinary---like in gator-infested waters---is to offer a reward. Whether you accept the reward is up to you.

The way I see it is if I won't swim to get it then its lost.

I see it this way, too.

Finders keepers loser weepers.

Lotta weepers all up in this thread. :|

Proverbs and opinions aside, there is that thing called the law. I know, it's only good when you need it, but it's also there when you break it :D

You know, we learned as very young children that we dont just take things that dont belong to us. Why dont you go fish your disc and leave the rest?

Last edited:
You know, we learned as very young children that we dont just take things that dont belong to us. Why dont you go fish your disc and leave the rest?

Why not call the numbers on the 20 discs you find before you find your own?

It is always the right thing to do to offer to return someone's property to them. You have no idea the circumstances which brought the disc to that place. The only thing you know is that it's not yours.

The right thing for the disc owner to do, if the retrieval is extraordinary---like in gator-infested waters---is to offer a reward. Whether you accept the reward is up to you.

This was one of the first lessons I learned from more experienced players when I finally cared enough to learn the rules and etiquette of disc golf. :hfive:

More often than not, players have declined my offer of $$$ or plastic in return for their effort to reunite me with my discs....all of this makes sense from a human being's point of view.

However, the d-bags and chuckers that only care about themselves will never figure out the true meanings of crazy concepts like generosity or goodwill or paying it forward.

Here is a big THANK YOU to those who continue to perpetuate that stereotype. :clap::clap::sick::gross:

Having made no headway with the John Wooden quote, I'll try Mark Twain:

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

This was one of the first lessons I learned from more experienced players when I finally cared enough to learn the rules and etiquette of disc golf. :hfive:

Likewise, when I began playing a long time ago this was one of the first things the experienced players told me.

I'm curious what should make discs different, anway? Isn't this the right thing to do for anything you find, anywhere? A wallet or a runaway dog or a car left in a parking lot or a phone or anything else of value? If you know it's not yours it must be someone else's; if it's reasonable to assume it has value and fairly easy to ascertain the owner, shouldn't you try to return it?

i love these conversations because we get so much done. ill start with: i will try and get discs back to owners my current count is 89 discs since i started keeping track i will guess the number is closer to 200. i worked at outdoor world for 5 years and started a disc return program and now at my shop for the past year i have been returning discs. yes there is a moral obligation to get discs back to rightful owners yet not a legal one. i have had some of the most ungrateful POS's call me after i left a message about a lost disc that want me to jump hurtles drive distances or ship discs at my cost to get there discs back to them. i have ran there discs over with a lawnmower and sent them the pictures. i do what i can to get discs back, my record speaks for itself. If you are a crazy sob who wants to dive in lakes for discs then there yours. unless its an ace disc or somehow unique. if you are an idiot and think there is a legal obligations to return discs you are mistaken. get a lawyer and sue PIAS for all the used inked discs they sell.

try and get disc back to there owners. if you cant keep it, sell it, poop on it. if i loose a disc in the dip then its yours please keep it. if you too poor to replace a $12 piece of plastic dont throw on water holes.

P.S. if i ever call you about a lost disc and you in a nonchalant manner just tell me to ship it to you without a prepaid envelope or some kind of thanks i will send you a pic on your recently destroyed disc.

i love these conversations because we get so much done. ill start with: i will try and get discs back to owners my current count is 89 discs since i started keeping track i will guess the number is closer to 200. i worked at outdoor world for 5 years and started a disc return program and now at my shop for the past year i have been returning discs. yes there is a moral obligation to get discs back to rightful owners yet not a legal one. i have had some of the most ungrateful POS's call me after i left a message about a lost disc that want me to jump hurtles drive distances or ship discs at my cost to get there discs back to them. i have ran there discs over with a lawnmower and sent them the pictures. i do what i can to get discs back, my record speaks for itself. If you are a crazy sob who wants to dive in lakes for discs then there yours. unless its an ace disc or somehow unique. if you are an idiot and think there is a legal obligations to return discs you are mistaken. get a lawyer and sue PIAS for all the used inked discs they sell.

try and get disc back to there owners. if you cant keep it, sell it, poop on it. if i loose a disc in the dip then its yours please keep it. if you too poor to replace a $12 piece of plastic dont throw on water holes.

P.S. if i ever call you about a lost disc and you in a nonchalant manner just tell me to ship it to you without a prepaid envelope or some kind of thanks i will send you a pic on your recently destroyed disc.
Lithium, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

we would be happy to see pictures of the discs you destroyed. including names and numbers on the back.

WATER = LAVA

Water is LAVA!!!!
If you don't go get it, forget it. There is something intrinsically different about water than bushes. You don't go looking in bushes, you just happen to find something. Water requires commitment....
Always call from bushes, nevermind from water. Discs that are found in water would be there forever if it weren't for the guy diving. Better they get thrown.

The only exception to this rule is during big tournaments where the TD has retained someone to go diving after the tournament you should wait until after the retained person has had the opportunity to do their work.

Water is LAVA!!!!
If you don't go get it, forget it. There is something intrinsically different about water than bushes. You don't go looking in bushes, you just happen to find something. Water requires commitment....
Always call from bushes, nevermind from water. Discs that are found in water would be there forever if it weren't for the guy diving. Better they get thrown.
Many/most parks have "no swimming" restrictions posted by their ponds. They don't have "no walking in the bushes" signs. Water might not be lava, but it's often illegal.

To the justifiers in general:
I love how people post justifications of why they should be allowed to keep discs they swam for and ignore DavidSauls' posts about basic lessons we were all taught in kindergarten. Sounds like some people need another year in the classroom...

Last edited:

Latest posts