• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What do you throw for drivers?

Yeah, I'm sure you can guess why I bought the Nuke.

"Whoa, a NUKE!? That thing must fly for days!"

For drivers? I throw Pro Leos/Champ or Star Teebirds for fairways, Star Valks for distance, and a glow Firebird for utility and wind. I feel pretty solid with that. Might try the SOLS and SOLF out too.

No no. You're supposed to say that you throw Volts, Amps, Resistors, and Servos. :D

As for the real OP, I'd throw a X XL in your bag. It's a great, straight, fairway, that pretty underrated. Glides for days too. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I definitely liked what I saw.

Yeah, I'm sure you can guess why I bought the Nuke.

"Whoa, a NUKE!? That thing must fly for days!"

My local course has a 180 ft. hole, pretty straight shot through a tight tree gap midway down the fairway. There is an ace someone wrote on the basket "so and so w/ Nuke SS." I question his masculinity every time I play that course because I have trouble not overthrowing the hole with a putter.

No no. You're supposed to say that you throw Volts, Amps, Resistors, and Servos. :D

As for the real OP, I'd throw a X XL in your bag. It's a great, straight, fairway, that pretty underrated. Glides for days too. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I definitely liked what I saw.

Why would I bag discs "like a Teebird, like a Leopard, like a Valk" when I can throw the real deals.

I can't speak to X XLs but ESP XLs are great discs. Outside of mids, that is the only other Discraft I have fuzzy feelings for. Its like a River, but not squirrely.

I think some people are missing the point of this DISCRAFT thread.

My lineup is in my sig. The only thing I can't replace is my River, I haven't found anything like it. I'm starting to go back to Stalkers now that I'm out of fresh Reapers... I'm probably going to stick to a Pred/Stalker/River combo for a while. I might try to beat in an XL to replace the River.

For distance I like the Force. Mostly in ESP plastic because you can beat them into awesome hyzer flip distance discs. I use the Crank if I have more wiggle room/ have to throw MAX distance. Otherwize they only come out for FH. I've heard about the Hurricane being a really nice distance disc from DGA. It's basically a modified Force.

As for the Avenger and Surge, I've only thrown the Avenger and A.SS. Both seemed like solid discs to me. They just didn't stick in my bag.

Thanks^

Looks like finding something a little flippy out of the box at fairway speed might be a problem. Maybe I'll try to beat up a X XL.

P line undertow could maybe work as well. How do these fly? Would they cover most of my lines across the plastics?

Last edited:
With your distance levels you really don't need anything faster than a Predator. I'd go with a Predator, Avenger, XL, Avenger SS. Probably throw in a Stalker for straight shots and to cover a gap between mids and drivers.

I like your selection, it's exactly what I would do and add multiples of each.

Predator
Avenger
ASS
Stalker

I would add a Crank and Force myself but I throw a bit farther and am use to high speed discs in wind.

What are the biggest difference between the Stalker and XL? I assume that the Stalker has better HSS.

Stalker is larger diameter, tic slower, tic more HSS, better glide.

I'm no expert, but I found that the XL has much better glide than the Stalker. BUT, I was throwing a Ti Stalker vs X XL, so that coud be why.

Sounds like a Stalker is what I want. Wish I could get them in X to beat in faster.

Yeah no doubt. You probably will need to add a Xpress, X-XL or Undertow for turnovers. My experience with all three is very small so can't help you out there.

The discs I use are in my signature. I realize that some people may prefer a disc that's slower than an Avenger, but I really feel like it's more of a fairway driver than a distance driver due to it's slightly larger than average diameter. Also, I use my Buzzz as more of a driver than a midrange anyway, so I don't really feel like I'm missing anything.

If you do try an Avenger, I would suggest buying a slightly domey Z Avenger and to remove the flashing before you use it.

Thanks for the feedback.

So here is what I'm thinking so far. Keep in mind I'm probably going to get most molds in the 173-175g range.

Pred for OS work, most likely in Z but I might get one in ESP in addition.

Stalkers for my fairways. Ti or Glo for slightly OS and Z for stable lines. I like the Ti plastic but finding colors I can use/ find in the woods can be problematic.

I'm leaning towards Avengers for Distance/ Control lines. Most likely in ESP, as its my driver plastic of choic and should beat up faster than Z. Thinking about trying a regular and SS to cover my lines. If they stick I should have a cycle starting. Are Avengers the way to go?

So what do y'all think? I kinda wanted to throw some DGA in there, but oh well I guess. Anyone have more to add?

my stalkers are usually 175g. ti is not slightly overstable, it is beefy i would say its def an overstable disc. as in i dont even need an overstable fairway because it covers it. as for color your going to have to go on a search for them

The only Discraft driver I throw is the Avenger. Great into a head wind and I used it primarily as a tomahawk disc. I can't get squat for distance with it tho.
I used to use a XL but the Teebird is now in that spot.
I do love the buzzz and Wasp too.

Latest posts