• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What do you throw for drivers?

jskew113

* Ace Member *
I'm looking to try the Discraft/ DGA lineup more. I already throw Discraft for my mids and want to try some of their drivers.

To give you an idea I throw Saint Pros, Saints/ Escapes/ TBs, and Leos/ Fury's. I also want to add a true OS driver. I throw my drivers 325-350'. I wouldn't be against going a little faster, but obviously don't need warp speed stuff. Mold minimization is always a good thing.

Any feedback on how your molds of choice wears in and changes flight would be great.

So what do/ would you throw if you were going all Discraft/ DGA?

True OS: Predator. Very predictable
As for a main driver that can also reduce molds, look at avengers in various weights/plastics or surges. I cycle both of them and it works well. Since they are similar speeds, find which ine you are most comfortable with. Go throw!

Edit: i throw about 360 and the crank is wonderful, though a bit understable. Might be good for you, especially with an ESP/Z mix

my old DC bag staples were: force, crush, flash and XL.

Wildcat, Predator, AvengerSS, Cyclone and XS are also good slower molds.

Last edited:
The only Discraft drivers I have are an ESP Surge and a Glow Nuke. They're both OK, nothing special.

I like DGA better than Discraft even though they are essentially the same thing (kinda like how Millenium is essentially Innova). I would most definitely reccommend a Tsunami as a mid-speed overstable driver, or a Hurricane as a higher speed one (12 maybe - I don't remember)

My favorite DGA discs that I own are the Squall and the Rogue. The Squall is a very straight, dependable, low-speed fairway driver. I use it on a ton of short drives in the 250-275 range, and even use it alot on long approaches. The Rogue is probably like a 10 speed or so, more understable than a Tsunami, but if you don't rip it as hard as you can, it has a dendable fade. Use it most often on long down-hill shots - just bomb it out there and let it S.

i throw about 360 and the crank is wonderful, though a bit understable. Might be good for you, especially with an ESP/Z mix

Yup, the esp Crank is my farthest flying disc in my bag. ...and the only Discraft driver I carry right now.
The Predator is a great os driver too. I learned thumbers with that one.

stalker is a great fairway. i bag 4 of them. one ti for overstable since its really beefys. then glow z stalker for slightly os. z stalker for straight. beat z for understable. i swear by my stalkers.

i too, throw all discraft mids. and fairways. but i havent gotten into their drivers much. with the new innova sidewinder having the slanted rim i think im done throwing those. probably going to switch to an avenger ss.

like others said pred for super os. otherwise i have no experience with discraft drivers. i too am interested in this thread. i do throw fb, pd, saint, and sw right now for distance drivers

Pred and Tsunami are on my radar for OS drivers. Probably give the Pred a try.

Work horse driver is my main concern for this experiment. I like something with good HSS but not a crazy amount of fade. I know that the Surge and Avenger are well received. Advantages of one over the other?

I've thrown a Squall a couple times, but it was light and didn't have the HSS I want. Was kinda like a Leo for me. I think I can cover what it does with my Comet/ Buzzz combo.

Stalkers intrigue me. How do they compare to the likes of a Saint/ Escape?

Stalkers are fairly neutral. Also forgiving, they were my workhorse till i found the crank. Avenger starts out a bit more stable than the surge, but beats in nicely, though if you got a Z avenger and a Z avenger ss, you should be set. Surges are great for cycling as I have a New D surge thats OS, and a beat X Surge that can be a tailwind bomber or turnover disc. Surge is a bit faster.

Crank: for Max Distance
Surge: Great Control Driver and Go to Driver
Predator: Very Predictable, Overstable Duty
XL: In the Woods Workhorse, Straight and Anhyzer shots

Do Avengers and Surges wear in differently? Ex: does one loose HSS first and the other LSS? What's better for cycling, in the wind, etc? Plastic flight differences?

jscrew- z stalkers flight are a lot like a saint in my opinion. release flat, youll get a bit of turn and it will smoothly fade out at the end. throw on a touch of hyzer and its going straight for days. it doesnt have the dome like teebirds have. its a nice thin profile, easy for flicking or bh i can use both with ease. however it does have a tiny bead on it. as to why i have no clue. i generally dont like beads but i fell in love with the stalker. i still have the same first stalker that i bought 3 years ago. its understable now but still predictable. and its seen many trees. there darn straight, can handle a bit of wind too.

ti stalker is like a banshee to a teebird. but you keep the same mold, its beautiful. i think i have about 12 stalkers at home, i can trade you one if your lookin to try one out. pm if interested.

How are stalkers in the wind? I'd imagine Ti would be the choice if its blowing. Do they get squirrelly like Saints or hold fairly true like TBs?

Champ Beast 169gr for long shots, champ Leopard for tight or straight shots, champ Viking for left hooks, champion monster for right hooks.

How are stalkers in the wind? I'd imagine Ti would be the choice if its blowing. Do they get squirrelly like Saints or hold fairly true like TBs?

ti is def the answer in a good wind. i would say inbetween saint and tb. there not as squirrelly as a saint, but slightly less stable (straight) than the tb since it does turn slightly out of the box. its not much but its noticeable. if i need distance and absolutely need to stay on the fairway, no matter the wind im reaching for 1 of my 4 stalkers in my bag.

Champ Beast 169gr for long shots, champ Leopard for tight or straight shots, champ Viking for left hooks, champion monster for right hooks.

are you in the wrong thread? OP wants to know discraft drivers

ti is def the answer in a good wind. i would say inbetween saint and tb. there not as squirrelly as a saint, but slightly less stable (straight) than the tb since it does turn slightly out of the box. its not much but its noticeable. if i need distance and absolutely need to stay on the fairway, no matter the wind im reaching for 1 of my 4 stalkers in my bag.

Thanks for the feedback.

So here is what I'm thinking so far. Keep in mind I'm probably going to get most molds in the 173-175g range.

Pred for OS work, most likely in Z but I might get one in ESP in addition.

Stalkers for my fairways. Ti or Glo for slightly OS and Z for stable lines. I like the Ti plastic but finding colors I can use/ find in the woods can be problematic.

I'm leaning towards Avengers for Distance/ Control lines. Most likely in ESP, as its my driver plastic of choic and should beat up faster than Z. Thinking about trying a regular and SS to cover my lines. If they stick I should have a cycle starting. Are Avengers the way to go?

So what do y'all think? I kinda wanted to throw some DGA in there, but oh well I guess. Anyone have more to add?

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm looking for Discraft only in this thread. If I was going to throw Innova it would be TBs, Leos, and PDs and I'd call it quits.

The only discraft disc in my bag is a Z-Zone.

Used to mess around with a z-nuke and a z-avenger ss. Those days are LONG gone.

For drivers? I throw Pro Leos/Champ or Star Teebirds for fairways, Star Valks for distance, and a glow Firebird for utility and wind. I feel pretty solid with that. Might try the SOLS and SOLF out too.

The only discraft disc in my bag is a Z-Zone.

Used to mess around with a z-nuke and a z-avenger ss. Those days are LONG gone.

I'd be lost without a Zone in the bag. I had a Nuke during my chucker phase but it's long been gone.

Like I said this is as much for fun as anything. If it doesn't work out after a few months Ican go back to what iI have used before. No harm no foul.