• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the largest ace pot anybody has won?

JR Stengele

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I played in a tournament the other day in the NW where it was foggy and wet and somehow seemed to make one of the best shots of my life. I not only aced a hole with a disc that I lost over the summer and had it miraculously returned to me with no number on it, but I also got $50 for it. It is funny how things workout sometimes, and it is times like this that I thank the DG gods for this sport.

I played in a tournament the other day in the NW where it was foggy and wet and somehow seemed to make one of the best shots of my life. I not only aced a hole with a disc that I lost over the summer and had it miraculously returned to me with no number on it, but I also got $50 for it. It is funny how things workout sometimes, and it is times like this that I thank the DG gods for this sport.

A guy I play with won $500 on his first ace from an ace pot.

It was up to ~$850 out at Cedar Hills in Raleigh, NC this summer when a single person finally hit it. It was for the summer doubles they run out there. You should've seen the crowd $850 will draw. It had DGers coming out of the woodwork. Everyone wanted a piece of the action.

At Cedar Hills i heard it was hit the week prior but the guy didn't buy in, so it got even bigger (up to the $850) and was hit by some noob...he apparently split it with his doubles partner, who was a pro and didn't expect his noob partner to be so giving!

I believe there was a $2000+ ace pot floating around a North Texas Series some time ago. There was a thread about it on the PDGA forum. I don't recall hearing/reading what happened to it.

ERic

2 Aces this year in league:
-$116
-$180

$296 total

There were 4 aces from all players in league this year. The day I hit the $180 another guy hit too. Otherwise it would have been $360.

Someone cashed $1200 for an ace earlier this year in Corvallis, Oregon.

The biggest acepot I've gotten was $450, at Morley Field, San Diego, about 3 years ago.

I understand that at one time (8+ years ago) Sylmar had a $2500 ace pool. But instead of allowing one person to win it all they split the pot up into two $1000 pots and had $500 left over to start building the next ace pot.
DSCJNKY

Congrats! I would love to hear how your no-number disc came back to you. I rarely get mine back with my number on it. Which hole was it?

I believe there was a $2000+ ace pot floating around a North Texas Series some time ago. There was a thread about it on the PDGA forum. I don't recall hearing/reading what happened to it. ERic

Yeah, I think it was just over $3000 when it was hit. The ace pot was at Z-Boaz in Fort Worth, TX. The pot just kept building week to week and more and more people kept coming out to play b/c the ace pot kept growing. The short hole that was hit is no longer there -- taken out in a redesign.

From what I recall, the disc that took home the cash was an Aerobie Arrow -- for a while Aerobie was bragging that the biggest ace pot in history was hit with their disc.

I once split a $450 ace pot w/someone. He hit the first hole of the tournament, and was pretty bummed when I hit one during the second round (he had his rent paid in his mind already).
We cap our acepots at the local dubs at $200 to

- even out the reward
- have a means to generate a back up ace pot so after it's hit, there's still something to play for the next week without starting from scratch
- Helps cater to the local crowd, I've been in places that get big $800+ acepots, and its funny to see the locals (who have been paying all season) get all pissed off that someone showed up from out of town and took the ace pot their first time at the course. Capping the acepot helps mitigate that a bit.

This is generally well received. At the end of last seasons dubs, there was a full $200 ace pot in play to start this season, $200 was donated to pay for lunch for all players at the big A Tier we run, and there was another $60 or so bucks in another back up acepot

I hit one last year for about $70. I can't remember the largest one I have hit but it was during doubles in Cincinnati and I split it with my partner. I think it was a couple hundred.

I really like the idea of capped acepots. I think the level of the acepot should match the difficulty of the course and the popularity of the venue. At one local course, we kept a $100 acepot all season. It got hit a few times, but there was always enough backlog to payout the $100. Otherwise, it sucks when someone hits a $500 ace pot one week, and someone else the next week hits the ace and takes home $20.

The consistent ace pots allow people to be more excited for their friends who win the pot, because a won pot doesn't discourage other people -- one ace doesn't take away from the next ace. It helps people be more supportive of each other on the course and helps eliminate potential hard feelings towards whoever takes a huge ace pot.

Wow, the 2k ones sound crazy, Ive never seen one bigger then 600

The Weekly Mini that I run will pay out the Ace Pot at 80% of current value so that there is 20% left over the following week.

ERic

The consistent ace pots allow people to be more excited for their friends who win the pot, because a won pot doesn't discourage other people -- one ace doesn't take away from the next ace. It helps people be more supportive of each other on the course and helps eliminate potential hard feelings towards whoever takes a huge ace pot.

I was going to throw an ace in the last tournament I played...but I got all discouraged cause some guy hit it the week before for 264.00 and the total pot for the tournament was only 63.00:mad: So I just decided to NOT throw any aces until the pot gets bigger....:rolleyes:

When contemplating whether or not to throw the ace last week, I asked my friends for their opinions and they said ..."since the ace pot had been won the week prior, that per the PDGA guidelines they could be slightly happy for me, but that they were not allowed to be more excited about it since the pot was so small, and furthermore if I went ahead and threw the ace that they would then have to get really mad at the TD for giving away all the money the week before and since we liked the tournament TD we didn't want to have to have hard feelings over it or have to contend with my ace being looked upon as an ace with an asterick* you know a non supportive ace with most of the joy taken away by there being a smaller pot.....So I figured it would be best to just not throw the ace and spare everyone the issues, it worked out better that way for everyone involved I'm sure :rolleyes:

I'm sorry isn't this the whole point of the ace pot, the bigger it gets the more excitement that surrounds it? Or have we become the everyone should get the same trophey for participating generation?

Last edited: