• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the quickest way to beat in a new disc.

Mike Ramey

I am sure this topic is covered somewhere in here but couldn't find it. I have some discs that seem to never get beat in. Or they are just taking forever. Especially my Champion plastic. Any suggestions. When I am on the course I wind up using my reliable discs and don't throw my newer ones nearly as much and when I do toss them in practice I throw in a grass field so the discs are not getting a lot of wear on them.

Throwing them in the course is the best way to get natural wear. Commit to putting all new to-be-broken discs in your bag for casual rounds now and then.

Or you could always do "field" practice on a parking lot...

Give them to me for a couple of rounds on a tightly (or even a not so tightly) wooded course. Never met a tree I couldn't hit......... =-)

Sky hyzers landing in grass are the fastest way to change a discs flight path without abusing it. The repeated hard landing will alter the vertical balance of the disc thus making the disc less stable without taking chunks out.

Yell at it about how it doesnt behave like it should, and that it is too overstable...it will begin feeling self conscious and change just so you love it again.

Thanks guys. I just wonder if its not the hitting trees as much as the disc skipping off of the dirt at high speeds actually breaking the disc in. We all say at some point when we bounced a disc off of a tree ( Just beating it in ). But how many people have actually slammed in to a tree and then on thier next drive the disc feels more beat in. Unless you take a piece out of the plastic maybe then the flight characteristics have changed but that's a whole different topic.

Thanks guys. I just wonder if its not the hitting trees as much as the disc skipping off of the dirt at high speeds actually breaking the disc in. We all say at some point when we bounced a disc off of a tree ( Just beating it in ). But how many people have actually slammed in to a tree and then on thier next drive the disc feels more beat in. Unless you take a piece out of the plastic maybe then the flight characteristics have changed but that's a whole different topic.

I have. My lat 64 bolt test material 2 changes flight pattern everytime a new tree shakes it's hand. My champion plastics are always hitting trees and never change. Star is the way to go if you expect it to "beat in".

Even with scrapes and small gashes taken out my champion still flies the same. I suggest you just play as much as you can like you want to win, and eventually you will learn your discs flight paths. Good luck.

I have heard of a few methods to break a disc in. First I have heard if you take off the flashing, which is the thin piece of plastic on the underside of the discs rim. I have done it with and SOS pad. I have also heard of putting the disc in a pillow case or something and putting in the dryer for about 20 minutes on low heat. I have not really tried the dryer idea but the spike hyzer thing sounds good.

Plastic has chemical bonding charasteristics just like any other material. blunt trauma causes molecular realignment and weakens its bonds, making it more flexible as the plastic molecules separate. Since ribberized plastics are more resilliant they flex back to original shape more times than harder plastics.

Rollers on hard packed dirt gives a good even wear to the discs wing. Its how I take off some of the stability on my q orion ls

I really changed the flight of my favorite Blizzard Katana this past weekend at Swope... I hit the FAT off one of the tee pads at full power and the wing got super bent down on what is probably a fifth of the circumference of the disc.

It probably is not the best for the disc but every champion disc that I have pulled out of the water seems a bit more flexible and flies less stable then a brand new champion of the same disc.

Yell at it about how it doesnt behave like it should, and that it is too overstable...it will begin feeling self conscious and change just so you love it again.

My old roommate has tried this and it never worked. Of course, he tried to also say that errant throws weren't the way "he threw" the disc.

Go into a carpeted room and throw the disc down on the floor(not too hard) and it should beat it in nicely.

For drivers just take a soft rag and bend the outer half of the rim down with a pliers until it flies like you want it to.

Latest posts