• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the worst disc ever made?

Whoever said the epic, you got it backwards that's the best disc ever made LOL.

If you come to mind lightning MX one, quest turbo put, quest 10 m brick,salient Prometheus if only because it was nothing at all like it was described to be. The plastic on that line was actually OK.

The Quarter K was bad. Not only did it not fly very well, it was made of this weird waxy plastic that would get torn up instantly. It made DX seem super durable.

The Groove really is a steaming pile. I even tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. CERTAIN Grooves are capable of decent flight. However (as mentioned), there is absolutely no way to tell which Grooves will work properly unless you actually throw them. Most Grooves I've thrown were very overstable, glideless bricks.

I'm going to go ahead and say Discraft Spectra too. When it came out it was supposed to be this revolutionary long bomber disc. It wasn't. It was really flippy and didn't glide that well. It had the stability of a Nuke SS. Difference is, the Nuke SS will go 150' further easily on a good rip.

I'll add the Innova Dominator too. Complete loser of a mold. Its like a slower, glideless Boss. I couldn't get anything out of the Dominator and I'm convinced its a lemon mold.

The Groove vs. any Franklin disc... a true race to the bottom of the disc golf world (and deserving to be at the bottom of the nearest body of water).

Good head to head potential here.

Groove

Pros: Plastic durable enough to withstand "zero Fs given" rips into obstacles, range long enough to reach impenetrable rough, occasionally doesn't suck outright.

Cons: Plastic durability, widespread availability, deceptively made by reputable brand.

Franklin Disc

Pros: Plastic liable to break sooner than a Triumph sports car, understability and glide can potentially roll it into nearby water, PIAS will amazingly give you a $1 for it, putter is semi-functional.

Cons: Comes in a 3 disc set so you end up with 3 turds all told, helps Wal-Mart's sales, flies too poorly to reach most impenetrable rough.

It's a tough call but I think the Franklin discs out-shame the Groove. :\

I quite literally laughed out loud reading Dave's post!! particularly, "range long enough to reach impenetrable rough" and "liable to break sooner than a Triumph sports car"

Well done sir. Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
14cdf7c7-04c5-4d6a-9267-21bc798a9fb1RIP%20Graboide.jpg
Groove is always up there when this thread pops up. I'd like to give a shout out to this abortion of a golf disc. They are literally as stiff as a 2x4, has no glide what so ever, plastic is on par with a McDonalds happy meal toy and the overmold may as well be superglued on. (Have seen glue coming out from between the rubber and plastic)

Edit: Now with more pics!
graboide_b.jpg

The Mercury Putter actually isn't half bad...

I threw a few absolute worst of the worst discs for sale at a garage sale and sold these gems (In Step), the Skyiron and some other dogs. Someone's kid played so he scooped them all up for him.

edit: lol

Last edited:
I'd say the Groove only because it is like a nasty bacteria, you see it everywhere. It was at epidemic levels for a while. It posed a danger to the overall health of the game.

Manufactured in large numbers by the largest dg company and released on an unsuspecting public.

What pisses me off about Discs such as the Groove is how they were mass-produced and marketed to freaking beginners walking past them at large retail chains. No beginner should have something harder to throw than something like a Stratus or Stingray as their first Disc, and yet there are high-speed drivers galore in these racks that require a pro arm to make them do what they're designed to do. It's awful for the sport. The kinds of players who can throw a Boss right are a slim percentage of the sport's population. They are typically experts on the game and aren't going to be buying them from Dick's Sporting Goods anyway, more likely from their local clubs or through the mail or whatever. I just can't understand why the big companies load up these displays with Discs that are going to frustrate most new players.

What pisses me off about Discs such as the Groove is how they were mass-produced and marketed to freaking beginners walking past them at large retail chains. No beginner should have something harder to throw than something like a Stratus or Stingray as their first Disc, and yet there are high-speed drivers galore in these racks that require a pro arm to make them do what they're designed to do. It's awful for the sport. The kinds of players who can throw a Boss right are a slim percentage of the sport's population. They are typically experts on the game and aren't going to be buying them from Dick's Sporting Goods anyway, more likely from their local clubs or through the mail or whatever. I just can't understand why the big companies load up these displays with Discs that are going to frustrate most new players.

Sadly this is still sortof a problem, the place where I get my discs has all the highspeed discs dyed so that they look really good as oppose to a beginner disc. I see people with the innova colossus that is dyed with a really good looking design but their performance could be better if throwing a lower speed disc such as a leopard.

I'd like to give a shout out to this abortion of a golf disc. They are literally as stiff as a 2x4, has no glide what so ever, plastic is on par with a McDonalds happy meal toy and the overmold may as well be superglued on. (Have seen glue coming out from between the rubber and plastic)

Edit: Now with more pics!

Graboide was one of two over-mold putters Rip made, and they were both total cr@p. The other one was almost Magic-shaped, but without any of the parts that makes a Magic fly well.

Dude at Rip sent me both to try out but they were so bad I never even responded to him about them because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Mine were really flexible and when they bent the over molded pieces would separate.

I'd say the Groove only because it is like a nasty bacteria, you see it everywhere. It was at epidemic levels for a while. It posed a danger to the overall health of the game.

Manufactured in large numbers by the largest dg company and released on an unsuspecting public.

Maybe it was part of a secret experiment? ;-)

Latest posts