• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your most underrated disc you carry?

Chainchaser

Double Eagle Member
I was wondering what disc or discs in your bag do you think are really underrated by you or by others you play with.

I have to say for me it would be a discraft hawk. I really never hear anybody talk about it and I have been ask a few times why I throw it. I throw it because I have confidence in it and it flies really well. It is great for those tight tee shots under 300'.I think the main reason is that it is made in the cheaper pro-d plastic but it really is a great disc. I sometimes find myself reaching for it before I reach for my buzz.

I think the Discraft Impact. I purchased one because I liked the characteristics from Disc Golf Center. I can chuck out there really hard and it does a tight turnover about 275, or I can throw a big anhyzer 275 with no fade at the end.

169 Star Gator. I didnt realize how much i relied on it until I lost the beat in one I had a month ago, only now readjusting to its replacement.

Its my precision (lefty) sidearm disc for tunnel shots/late left fades under 200, my putter for windy days, my roller disc.

Most of the time, when someone tells me "nice up" after a shot, its the gator. THe star gator, unlike DX and champ gator, is beadless so it feels great in your hand for sidearm shots and you get a nice smooth consistant release

THe lighter weight makes a difference because it gives it more glide, sicne the gator needs all the help it can get, and allows you to annie release and keep it from fading until the end of its flight path, instead of pulling hyzer right away like a heavier one does.

I like the viper. it flies straight as an arrow for me. not that long a disc, but very useful.

discraft nebula (2008 ace race disc)...only seen one other person throwing it besides me...

I think the most under rated disc I have is the Q Sentinel. I only know one other person who throws them and I get a fair amount of questions about it when I pull it out of the bag.

I like the viper. it flies straight as an arrow for me. not that long a disc, but very useful.

Innova Star Cro. That thing is the most predictable disc I know of.

I also love my Viper. I would feel naked without mine. But it flies straight for you? That is one of the most overstable discs made and the reason so many do not like it. Also you said not a long disc. It held the world distance record for 3 years, in the early nineties, at over 600'.

Probably the Pro Pig or Z Reaper, both of which I oddly enough lost on #16 at Bryant Lake. The Reaper was a great overstable hyzer disc and the plastic felt great in my hand. I've bought/found so many overstable discs since I got it, that I haven't been able to justify buying a new one, but none seem to have the same feel or predictability.

The Pig was also very overstable and had a great feel. Loved the thumbtrack on top. I went to replace it, but they didn't have one as heavy, so I went with a Gator instead. I've only had the Gator a little over a week, but I miss my Pig and will likely be ordering a new one.

Champion Spider. I threw some great spike hyzers with it until I lost it:(

Discraft Crystal Z Challenger, great approach disc, especially in the wind.

I second the Z Challenger, I always carry one for approaches and also for "gentle" thumbers that save me all the time.

I would also say the Wasp. Not sure how underrated this really is, I just always hear people talk about the Buzzz, but I like my Wasp a little better.

in my bag these days, i guess it's the XL. i don't see many people throwing them anymore, but it's still a standby for a good number of my throw choices. i've found it hard to lose the XL, as well as the the Aviar, despite embracing some of the newer molds.

Mine is definitely Latitude 64's Core. With such hype behind discs such as the Roc and the Buzzz, it is definitely overlooked. I just pulled both My Wasps and Buzzzes out of my bag and replaced it with one disc. Hyzers, rollers, anhyzers, straight as an arrow. This disc does it all. Also I get about 20-30more feet out of it compare to the Buzzz. It's name says it all.

Latest posts