• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What makes you more excited?

What makes you more excited?

• A long drive/approach parked for an easy birdie.

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • A long putt made for a huge par save.

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters
I feel like I should park every hole for birdy (I don't, but I feel like I should, lol), so when I do, it doesn't feel like anything special. However, I don't expect many putts outside of 30 to fall, so when they do, it is great. Each stroke is worth the same whether it is for birdy or par.

Ummm no each stroke is not the same especially when one is for par and one is for birdie...par save means your score didn't change at all lol a birdie on the other hand.......and that is exactly why I would rather park holes instead of making long par saves, I prefer my score to go down rather then stay the same

Ummm no each stroke is not the same especially when one is for par and one is for birdie...par save means your score didn't change at all lol a birdie on the other hand.......and that is exactly why I would rather park holes instead of making long par saves, I prefer my score to go down rather then stay the same

think about this in a tournament setting, playing against players of a like caliber.

if you can park a hole, often times at least one other person on your card, and a lot of other people in your division can probably do the same thing. it's all about score differential. if you have to work hard for a par, unless you really duff a couple of shots, most of the field is probably not getting a birdie, so you probably won't lose a stroke to the field if you can save a good par. Or, if the field happens to be getting birdies, you're only losing one stroke instead of two.

the bigger picture, and competition with the course as well as the people I'm playing against, is why I'll generally get more excited about saving a tough par than getting a birdie.

I have to go with the park job.

If I make a long putt to save par, I think on most holes I play that means I have had 1 or 2 not so good shots to be in that position. So it is more just a feeling of relief, rather than excitement. Driving is also the weakest part of my game.

This

think about this in a tournament setting, playing against players of a like caliber.

if you can park a hole, often times at least one other person on your card, and a lot of other people in your division can probably do the same thing. it's all about score differential. if you have to work hard for a par, unless you really duff a couple of shots, most of the field is probably not getting a birdie, so you probably won't lose a stroke to the field if you can save a good par. Or, if the field happens to be getting birdies, you're only losing one stroke instead of two.

the bigger picture, and competition with the course as well as the people I'm playing against, is why I'll generally get more excited about saving a tough par than getting a birdie.

But see you must have missed my other comments...Yes I would be playing with the same caliber of players, but I hate losing strokes especially if I am lead card and like I said I make most of my putts regardless I know that sounds cocky and conceited but it is the truth putting is the least of my worries about my game,I have a harder time driving consistently from time to time so if I am parking holes usually I am hard as hell to beat. I do understand your point as well and it does make sense, I guess if it was a 600ft+ hole yes I would rather make the putt for par then park a dinker hole for a birdie just for the fact that the dinker becomes a -1 nstead of evening out a bogey from the long holes..

I'd go with the drive and park. I can get great accuracy at 250ft - 275ft But when I try to push out past 300/320 I get a bit squirley sometimes. So when I hit that 325 to pin and get inside 10' I am pumped.

I would have to say parking the hole and getting the bird. I get really confident in my driving ability when I throw and park a hole. And when that happens my confidence in my putting goes up as well. Don't get me wrong, if I screw a hole up and leave myself a difficult par putt and do happen to make it I do get psyched. That just pushes my confidence even further and makes me attack the course like you're supposed to do when you get on a roll.

if you can park a hole, often times at least one other person on your card, and a lot of other people in your division can probably do the same thing.(aka not losing any strokes). it's all about score differential. ... Or, if the field happens to be getting birdies, you're only losing one stroke instead of two.

But this is the reason why Parking the hole is more exciting and long puts.. (for me)

I do not play tournies, I'm still fairly fresh to serious disc golf, but if I'm playing a tourny I want to stay with or pull ahead of others. If EVERYONE is birdie-ing then I'm staying with them, if they screw up a shot then I'm pulling ahead.

Scenario 1:
With the long putt, (probably because I messed up a shot) they might have parked the hole and I'm losing a stroke, even if I make a long putt I still fell behind.

Scenario 2:
IN your example, if I'm playing with equals and I didn't screw up and I'm laying with a long putt, you'd prefer that.. but the chance of others making the long putt is still pretty good if they are of equal ability as me.

I get most jazzed about the perfect recovery from a botched drive.

Most people get a lot of practice off the tee at your local course, so you feel like you should hit the line from the tee. But kick off the fairway... now you really get to test your skill.

Ok, maybe tweak the question a little bit...

WHAT FEELS BETTER?
1) parking a drive for an easy birdie
Or
2) making that long putt for an amazing birdie?

the long deuce for sure if its a hole over 400ft lol if not the parked deuce because a long deuce on the shorter ones would also mean an errant drive...

Long putt in the second scenario for birdie, cause you didnt expect the birdie, long park in the first scenario over saving par.

I'm going with an insane putt. Park jobs are alright, but sinking a long putt to birdie or even save par is spectacular.

I would prefer experiencing A all of the time ;) However, the most exciting is C: Making a long put for Birdie when no one thinks you have a shot!....why just save par? :)

I like it best when you throw a sweet drive but it is not parked but it close enough for everyone to say it is parked and then you have to drill your putt for a 2 when everyone is watching, so you kinda get the best of both worlds a sweet drive and then a nice 10-20ft pressure putt for a 2

So, truthfully, I love every throw and I get excited for my next one. With that, I'm flying the handi this past Sunday and I'm off to a hot start. I'm parking holes and the guys in the group are talking about using the lead pipe to the knee trick in order to slow me down. I get to hole 7 and I'm 3 down. My drive hits the skinny middle finger tree in the fairway and shoots to the left. I have a nice line to the basket and I hit it perfect...too perfect as it skips 50 -60' passed the basket.
Now, I consider myself a good putter and others may tell you I'm being modest about it, but, this was no gimme' putt. Without stating the obvious, the putt saved my round and I killed it for 5 more birdies on the day. I have to say it was the long putt for par that made the round...Automatic Al strikes again!!

Latest posts