• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What one course would you play every day if you could only choose one?

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I think this is an interesting question that I haven't quite seen discussed on here before. God forbid that you'd ever have to make this decision, but if you could only play one course for the rest of you life, what would it be? Meaning that your favorite course or the course you think is the very best designed course out there may not be one that you'd feel up to playing only it for the rest of your life. For example, Sugaree, Nockamixon, and Whippin' Post are some of my favorite courses, but I don't think I have what it takes to play them without needing a break every once in awhile.

My pick would have to be Moraine State Park. This is the closest course to where I grew up, though sadly I never played disc golf until after I moved away from home. Luckily, I'm less than two hours away so I try to play here at least a couple times a year. It's a course that the more I played it, the more I love it. And it has only gotten better over time with the recent adjustments from the 2015 World's. To me, it's the perfect combination of challenge but without being too demanding to keep you from having fun. A very technical course where every shot counts, but you are given many fun shots that allow you to open up. While the rough is sometimes thick, I very rarely ever lose a disc here so that keeps the enjoyment level up as well. Also, it just has a unique feel to me than other courses.

Honorable mentions:

2. Warwick, for a lot of the same reasons as Moraine. A beautiful park with a lot of unique holes. Very well maintained and with two permanent baskets, I can't imagine ever getting bored playing here.

3. Waterworks - Just a purely fun course, while still being demanding. One of my favorite settings to play in is large rolling hills littered with trees. I could throw drives on hole 1 all day long.

Last edited:
tough question, my favorites tend to be big and a lot of work to play-not necessarily what i would do every day. i guess i would choose Hawk Hollow anyway- that way I could simply alter it if I got sick of climbing the hills.

Stoney Hill. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty good. It wins because

* It has 2 overlapping layouts, so less boredom.
* Because of the way the routing twists and turns, you can cobble together all sorts of other layouts, if you have to.
* Or create some safari holes, because it's never crowded.
* And.....it has a great deal of variety, in terms of styles of holes from open to wooded, and requires a lot of different shots. If I were stuck with one great course, I wouldn't want it to be a great course with all similar-style holes (all wooded, parkland, whatever).

I'm not sure if it's THE one for me, but Daphne, AL has a sweet 18 hole course near the interstate. When I lived there it started as just a 9 holer on an old neighborhood pitch-and-putt ball golf course. Unlike many of the courses in the Mobile area, this one is nice and open w/ well-manicured grounds plus it has what many in the area lack - elevation. Now, on the front 9 there are some holes w/ no real obstacle but OB, however, the back 9 has more long holes and more challenge. There is a possibility of locals walking the path around the front 9 and as time goes on, there's more of a chance of other players. But put it this way, if you play this course you're playing something unique to the area.

No real amenities like bathroom or water though, so be prepared. There is a gas station just outside of the neighborhood if you need anything.

OK - gush session over.

Of the courses I am most familiar with, probably Patapsco Valley SP. It has everything from tight woods to wide-open bomber holes, plus elevation. The main reason, though, is that with two permanent tees and two permanent baskets on every hole, it can be played as a very nice pitch-and-putt, a 9,300-foot monster, or variations in between.

Plus there is a gorgeous river where the dog can cool down after a hot round.

Its a tie between Maple Hill and Rollin Ridge.

They have so many layout options from beginner to expert. No single layout courses can compete if this is the only course I can ever play again.

RR bug bombs, so thats a plus.
MH has way more water which is a plus to me.

Idk...I guess I pick RR. But its REALLY close.

Its a tie between Maple Hill and Rollin Ridge.

They have so many layout options from beginner to expert. No single layout courses can compete if this is the only course I can ever play again.

RR bug bombs, so thats a plus.
MH has way more water which is a plus to me.

Idk...I guess I pick RR. But its REALLY close.

I was thinking along these lines. Both of these courses offer (what was the final answer something like 1.872349^87) so many different layouts that I don't think I would get terribly bored. And I don't really know the scene at Maple hill, but RR has about my favorite scene ever, with a group of friends and a bar to hang out in when I don't feel like throwing, so RR is my final answer.

In my review of Warwick in 2014 I said it would be my pick, probably still true.

Does it have to be a single course, or do multiple courses on the same property qualify?

If it has to be one course I would second the OP and go with Moraine State Park. It's the best course I have ever played, bar none. The Gold layout offers length, challenge and diversity in spades. It also features multiple tees so if I don't feel like playing the Golds I have options. The course is beautiful from start to finish, and the thick rough becomes a quality for me as it lets me feel secluded even if there are multiple groups playing the course. Lastly the rubber tees perform very well and wear down shoes much slower than typical tees.

If it is one property, I would choose Renaissance Park in Charlotte. Renny Gold is the second best course I've had the pleasure to throw, great diversity, challenging and plenty of length. It is very rarely played so I usually have it to myself. Renske, a short and easy pitch and putt, is on the same property. I can birdie any hole with my putter. The Pro Players course layout falls somewhere in between the two extremes and offers a third option if I start feeling bored with Renske and Renny Gold.

Those are my two picks out of the ~125 or so I've visited.

Last edited:
Harmony Bends
Flip
IDGC Steady Ed
Flyboy
Mt Airy

It's a tie between Bradford Park just north of Charlotte, NC and Seth Burton in Fairmont, WV. I know everyone talks about how great Orange Crush is (same park as Seth Burton), but it doesn't have the variety with every hole being heavily wooded. I really love some of the shots on Seth Burton through the mature stands of trees, it's got great use of OB to keep you on your toes, and I just plain enjoy the layout. Bradford is an all around fantastic course, but I've only played it a few times, so I'd need some more rounds there before I could decide between the two.

However, if we're talking about complexes, I haven't played it yet but will be playing Horning's Hideout just northwest of Portland, OR soon. From what I hear, there's three courses and they're all good. That could definitely be a contender.

Rollin' Ridge, and it's not even close. 3 tees/baskets on nearly every hole. The only thing I'd really miss is a TOTW shot...but then I'd just drink at the onsite bar and forget that.

I sorta separate courses into park-style and...not park style? Not sure what I'd call it. For a park-style course it's easy:Waterworks. Hands down the best park-style par 3 disc golf course I've ever played, and I could play there every day and be happy as a clam. Foundation Park is a bit more...wild? I don't feel so much like I'm in a park so much as wandering in the wood a lot of the time there. It's different golf to me so I don't really try to compare the two. I could play just those two for the rest of my life. I'm not sure I could choose between the two.

I sorta separate courses into park-style and...not park style? Not sure what I'd call it. For a park-style course it's easy:Waterworks. Hands down the best park-style par 3 disc golf course I've ever played, and I could play there every day and be happy as a clam. Foundation Park is a bit more...wild? I don't feel so much like I'm in a park so much as wandering in the wood a lot of the time there. It's different golf to me so I don't really try to compare the two. I could play just those two for the rest of my life. I'm not sure I could choose between the two.
Agree with this on both fronts: for the most part, courses are either "park style" or a bit more rugged, state park type of course, with more punishing rough, often with a more championship and or epic feel to them... and the game can feel very different depending which you're playing.

And WW is probably the best park style course I've played so far.

I've generally prefered the more state park type courses, but I'm beginning to really appreciate courses that don't rip you a new one for barely missing the fairway on tee shots... guess I'm mellowing with time.

Harmony Bends
Flip
IDGC Steady Ed
Flyboy
Mt Airy

By the way, I meant to say, "Pick one for me. " Doesn't matter which one, I could probably play it every day for rest of my life.

Last edited:

Latest posts