• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What one course would you play every day if you could only choose one?

Agree with this on both fronts: for the most part, courses are either "park style" or a bit more rugged, state park type of course, with more punishing rough, often with a more championship and or epic feel to them... and the game can feel very different depending which you're playing.

And WW is probably the best park style course I've played so far.

I've generally prefered the more state park type courses, but I'm beginning to really appreciate courses that don't rip you a new one for barely missing the fairway on tee shots... guess I'm mellowing with time.
Ah, I give up. I'm officially old. Waterworks gives an old man all he needs. I'm picking that one. 20 years ago the answer would have been different, but 20 years ago none of the discs in my back were ruptured.

It would be a tough choice. For me, to play everyday: variety (both types of holes and left/right); not too short, but can be played in an hour to hour and a half (so not too grueling for everyday, and not too much time, but enough to be worthwhile); not much chance of losing discs (manageable rough, grass not very long, probably no water, etc.); relatively clean and kept up; not too busy; no poison oak or ivy; adequate access and facilities; a balance of challenge and fun (not that challenge isn't part of the fun). All of that helps narrow it down...

I think my choices would be, in order:
1. Prospect Park is a fun, varied course.
2. Swope Park Can be played in an hour, yet is challenging, but can be busy.
3. University of OB A bit long, but fun and challenging...and you can see Mt Shasta.
4. Legion Park has some avoidable water, and at least one hole with tough rough (Hole 7? a blind throw over the rough), but is fun, varied, and challenging.

I could see Waterworks being viable, also.

If RIP'd courses are fair game, the old layout of Turkey Creek would take second place (maybe 1st) and bump the others down.

3. Waterworks - Just a purely fun course, while still being demanding. One of my favorite settings to play in is large rolling hills littered with trees. I could throw drives on hole 1 all day long.
A lot of the day would probably be spent finding the discs. Hole 1 can be tough what with going out of sight a lot of times, and a decent chance of rollaways. :\

Rollin' Ridge, and it's not even close. 3 tees/baskets on nearly every hole. The only thing I'd really miss is a TOTW shot...but then I'd just drink at the onsite bar and forget that.

Yeah really. Think about playing random combos- you could make a dice game or something that picks them. orange tee to red basket, then black to red, then black to black, then red to orange, then...

It would take a lifetime to dial in your course average:clap:

Yeah really. Think about playing random combos- you could make a dice game or something that picks them. orange tee to red basket, then black to red, then black to black, then red to orange, then...

It would take a lifetime to dial in your course average:clap:

We already do that for some rounds. Flip a red, orange and black disc for the tee, and again for the basket.

Agree with this on both fronts: for the most part, courses are either "park style" or a bit more rugged, state park type of course, with more punishing rough, often with a more championship and or epic feel to them... and the game can feel very different depending which you're playing.

And WW is probably the best park style course I've played so far.

I've generally prefered the more state park type courses, but I'm beginning to really appreciate courses that don't rip you a new one for barely missing the fairway on tee shots... guess I'm mellowing with time.

I've been trying to think of a good word for these state park type of courses for years to no avail. :doh:

Lastly the rubber tees perform very well and wear down shoes much slower than typical tees.

If it is one property, I would choose Renaissance Park in Charlotte.

Actually the blue and gold tees at Moraine are now concrete, they redid them for worlds. The white tees are the only rubber tees there now.

I was thinking only one course, but it seems like the Renny are so closely linked that it doesn't seem too far off from a Rollin Ridge type layout.

I would pick Mountain Lake in Pembroke, VA. It's not the "best course" or the most fun. Honestly it kicked my butt. But the first time I played there, I had to drive up through the clouds, had the mountain to myself, threw in the fog all morning. It was such a magical day that I drove 5 hours each way the next weekend just play it again.
I have played several course I would consider better, but none so special. Plus I really like having a course to myself.

This is like trying to pick my favorite Beatles song of all time. Today I'm going with Dexter, OR/I Am The Walrus. I really love it down there, Tomorrow it could be Sheltom/Eight Days A Week, Stafford Lake/Helter Skelter or Whistler's Bend/A Hard Days Night.

Actually the blue and gold tees at Moraine are now concrete, they redid them for worlds. The white tees are the only rubber tees there now.

I was thinking only one course, but it seems like the Renny are so closely linked that it doesn't seem too far off from a Rollin Ridge type layout.

Oh I hadn't heard, thanks for the info. Been four of five years since I've played Moraine....plan to change that sometime this year.

Pretty sure last time I was out there MVP had little else on the market besides Ions, Vector, Axis, and Volt. Pretty interested to see how it's changed, and how differently I approach the course.

I would pick Mountain Lake in Pembroke, VA. It's not the "best course" or the most fun. Honestly it kicked my butt. But the first time I played there, I had to drive up through the clouds, had the mountain to myself, threw in the fog all morning. It was such a magical day that I drove 5 hours each way the next weekend just play it again.
I have played several course I would consider better, but none so special. Plus I really like having a course to myself.

I've been hearing really good things about Mountain Lake. I think that's going to be my next course I go far out of my way to visit. Probably will do Primland on the way back home.

Oh I hadn't heard, thanks for the info. Been four of five years since I've played Moraine....plan to change that sometime this year.

Pretty sure last time I was out there MVP had little else on the market besides Ions, Vector, Axis, and Volt. Pretty interested to see how it's changed, and how differently I approach the course.

I've been hearing really good things about Mountain Lake. I think that's going to be my next course I go far out of my way to visit. Probably will do Primland on the way back home.

You will probably tear that course up. Judging by your videos (thanks for posting them) you have the right tools for the course. I am just lacking the distance to really crush that one.

The last I heard, they are not opening the road to the course anymore due to "dangerous conditions" so you have a 1.2 mile walk to the first tee. A jogging stroller would be great for hauling your camera and refreshments.

If I only get one, it's going to be Rollin' Ridge.

Though I would be okay if you told me Flip City, Milo, or Steady Ed too. Maybe even throw Hobb's Farm on that list.

If I could though I might pick a complex like the IDGC or Horning's Hideout. I loved HH.

It would have to have the following qualities.

Not a tough walk
Easy to do shorter loops/mix up the layout.
A mixture of wooded/open... long/short
Not crowded

Sooo.... either Harmon Hills or Flyboy

Oregon Park, Marietta GA. Two pads + two tees on every hole, and is very playable in the winter.

I played Selah Ranch Lakeside on Tuesday. It had been years since I'd been there. I'd play it every day and look forward to tomorrow.

Oregon Park, Marietta GA. Two pads + two tees on every hole, and is very playable in the winter.

haha I end up playing a lot at OP in the winter as well. Good point there

Moraine is one of my favorite places on earth.

That being said I'd probably pick Maple Hill for the same reasons people are picking Rollin RidGe. Multiple options of course layouts. Been trying to convince the locals here to embrace the multiple basket idea. It's been a hard sell. (None of them have played MH or RR)

…although Deer Lakes 3 tees are almost perfect for my ability. Blues is VERY challenging, Whites is a challenge & Reds are super fun.

Last edited:
Several choices to consider:
First, my home course, Castle Hayne. Enough variety and challenge to keep me happy. Could use some updating, but not forthcoming.
Second, Renny, lots of variety and challenge.
Third, Idlewild, variety and challenge in bunches.

My choice? Idlewild.

I was a 23-year-old substitute teacher by day and Boys and Girls Club employee at night in 1996 supporting my wife in grad school at Michigan State. Our car would die if you took your foot off the gas pedal, so you had to brake with your left foot. My only real option was a good one for the time, Grand Woods in Lansing, MI., about as far as our POS '87 Dodge 600 would take me reliably (When we moved up in car, I could occasionally drive the distance to Grand Rapids to play their 3 basket courses or Hudson Mills in the opposite direction. Hated Fitzgerald Park's bike cable baskets so I stayed away).

Playing the same course over and over again meant I got to really, really know each hole's personality. I had a spreadsheet and kept pinpoint averages for each one, like a pitcher's ERA, and would try my hardest to get a hole's average to decrease over the course of ten rounds. I might've sucked back then, and there are so many awesome courses to play now (and I seem to have 1/10th the free time I had back then) but playing Grand Woods over and over and over again brought me great joy, got me into this sport, and I'd sure love to hop in a time machine and be 23 again there for a week, even if it means throwing RHFH's with Stingrays and Barracudas again.

For me it is Rollin Ridge. The most fun I have ever had at a course. Wish I lived closer so I could visit more but I go on a road trip every year to try to play some of the top courses in a specific area and RR stands out above Selah, Flip, Idlewild, etc. I'm gonna play Harmony Bends this weekend and can't wait to see if the hype is truth or just hype. I'm cautiously optimistic!