• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Putter Do You Use?

I love my Discraft Banger GT. There is something about that groove track that leads to a consistent release. I only wish it had a lower stability rating because of this the Aviar is a close second

I currently have 2 Innova Aviar P&A that I use interchangably depending on the shot. (One is heavier than the other) So far the aviar P&A has been my most consistent putter.
I also have a soft pro Rhyno that I will sometimes use when I need an overstable putter. The one big upside about my rhyno is that it is soft which I do like ... After reading one of the other threads I think Im going to try an Omega SS out and see if I like it.

I got a Birdie b/c it(some site) said it was good for beginners, but I don't really like it... Well, it doesn't bounce anywhere when it hits the ground, so thats good, but I just don't like the way putters feel, they're too thick. I've heard that the XD is more driver like, but I haven't seen one for myself.
I would just putt w/ a Roc, since I get it to fly less fluttery than the Birdie, but I keep the Birdie around for weird, high-arching hyzer/anhyzer shots since it rarely rolls off when it lands and b/c it drops with no fade at the end of its flight, so I figure I might as well putt with it too... I just need more practice at it.

I got a Birdie b/c it(some site) said it was good for beginners

wow, I didnt think anyone used the birdie ... I threw it once and hated it before I threw it. Its just not a comfortable putter at all.

I've heard that the XD is more driver like, but I haven't seen one for myself

The XD is a bit more driver like ... I've used it and as a driver I can flip it very easily. As a putter it was a good disc, but a bit more understable than I was looking for. I actually used it more so as a midrange approach disc.

Heavy, 175g, DX Aviar P & A. Have five of the to practice with and they all act the same. Nice straight flyers and not too bouncy in the DX plastic. Don't use my Star Avair P & A for putts, just approaches. It's little more overstable and fades more. Plus the harder plastic deflects off of the chains more.

I have two as well. max weight ss magic and 175 flx challenger. I really liked the magic, but since I drive with the putters whenever possible, it got beat in really fast. It is my turn over shot putter now. The challenger is my slightly overstable putter that I can really let loose with and still keep it straight on a line. I've gotta say that I really like the flx plastic. It is really consistent and can take quite a beating.

I use a the discraft soft APX. I have putted with it the most and really feel comfortable with it. I think the biggest thing with a putter is how does it feel in your hand and then just working with it enough that you know what it will do from different distances.

I've used Aviars mostly for the last 18 years or so. When I started playing the only players I knew who didn't putt with Aviars were old guys who still used a lid. I went back and forth between the big bead and the small bead. Finally I decided the big bead was more consistent for putting and drives into a wind and the small bead was better off the tee when you had no wind or a tail wind, so I carry both.

I tried understable putters like the 86 Softie, but they require too much touch. I would overpower them and flip them most of the time, so I gave up and went back to hyzer putting with an overstable putter.

I did putt with Magnets for a couple of years shortly after they came out. I liked Magnets a lot as a putter as they have a nice consistent and dependable fade at low speeds and are great for hyzer putts. They are not as good off the tee IMO, but if you can get some height on your throw they glide out to about the same distance. Eventually (and this is stupid but true) I got so many Aviars in players packs at tournaments that I had over 20 of them, and I only had three or four Magnets. Instead of paying money to get more Magnets, I just went back to Aviars since I had so many of them already. It's a pretty dumb way to pick your putter, but it is what it is.

I had Wizards in my bag most of this summer. If I can keep the nose down and throw the Wizard properly, it will crush an Aviar in distance off the tee. However, I stink and throw nose up all the time. The Aviar is more forgiving if you get the nose up and will still glide out for some decent D. The Wizard will hyzer out short if you get the nose up. The Wizard and big bead Aviar are almost identical when putting.

I have putt with the XD, Omega Supersoft, APX and Warlock for extended periods at some point or another. Each had their pros and cons. The XD has a great feel in the hand, but with all that glide it blows by the basket by a mile if you miss. The APX is like a superstraight Magnet, but the ones I had were made from the Elite Pro plastic and I hated the feel of it. The Omega Supersoft was just to soft for me. The Warlock for me feels and flies EXACTLY like a Wizard. I noticed no difference at all.

Also, I didn't have 20+ of any of those discs either. It's hard to avoid the big stack 'o Aviars.

I started off when I was a "newbie" by using an Aviar, so that is what I got used to. In fact I had my original for almost 4 years, until it started getting a crack in the rim from where it was getting old. <It was a dx, but kind of soft>. So I started using others for a while until I finally found what I currently use, which is now the blowfly. I also have an Omega ss in my bag for windy conditions, or on shots where I need predictable hyzer. I personally like soft putters, they grab the chains better, they don't tend to roll as much when on hilly areas, and don't tend to skip as much when they land. The blowfly does take some getting used to, but for me it was time well spent. I now have 2 in my bag at all times, 1 for putting only, the other is my approach/tee pad disc. I have a group of friends that I play with, and we play "ript" from time to time, which is why I even started carrying the two blowflies in my bag, but I really got addicted to having my "newer" blowfly as my approach disc.

JK Pro

I recently purchased 2 JK Pro Aviar putters, 170g. I really like em, so far. I tried the hard Putt and Approach and didn't care for em, also tried the soft magnet and didn't like it. I do however like the magnet for approach shots. Now I need some orange dye to really like the JK putters!

i use a Ching Tank for my putter. it's very grippy so it feels great in my hands. it would probably hit chains from farther distances if it weren't for it's thrower.

The XD's low profile, driver like feel keeps it from touching my fingers and sticking on the release like other putters do.

Sometimes I get lazy and just pick up and putt with whatever disc I used for the previous shot. This is a bad habit because it throws off the muscle memory I developed by consistently practicing with the XD.

On a side note: The Birdie may be the most underrated putter out there mostly due to the way it looks. It's a little too cute for most men to throw. My brother used to use one and he would always beat me by out putting me. What made him so good was that when he missed a 40 or 50 footer with the birdie it would never go very far past the basket so he would rarely have three putts. He switched to an aviar when he lost his birdie and now I consistently beat him by outputting him. I always tell him that if he would buy another birdie he would beat me but he doesn't believe me.

I'll second the Banger Gt(pro-D) for anything 75' and under. It helps me to miss by a smaller margin now:) Flies straight to slightly stable and the groove really feels "right" for some reason. For short drives I prefer the Challenger for its ability to resist turn. however, a couple of weeks ago, a friend let me try a Star Aviar(big bead) and I was amazed at the way this thing could handle being heaved without flipping. It might replace the Challenger???

Soft and Hard Banger GT's

I have putted with a Magnet, Aviar, Birdie, 1080 Radius, Ching Juju, XD, classic roc, Challenger and even a roc. But i have to say that i have found solace in a SOFT banger GT and i use a ESP for drives and as a midrange.

The groove top helps my release, and has made me much more confident, and therefore better.

I used to use the Aviar P & A because that seemed to be popular. My friend bought a Wizard SS & let me try it. My first putt went straight into the basket from a good 30' out. As did my 2nd & 3rd shots. Hmmm, daddy like!
I liked the feel of the soft 'chalky' plastic & it seemed to grab the chains better. Pretty consistant. It holds a pretty straight line & doesn't deflect much.

Latest posts