• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What putter do you use?

P2, aviar, voodoo depending on what feels right that day. But, you have to decide what feels good to you.

In my quest for the perfect putter, I've come to the conclusion that my comfort with a putter encompasses these aspects: the way it feels in my hand, how it feels leaving my hand, how it flies to the pin, and how it grabs chains. Don't settle on a putter before you hold and try a couple. I suggest first trying stable model putters in multiple depths: low profile (1.2-1.3cm), medium (1.4-1.5cm), and deep (1.6-1.8cm) to compare the feel in your hand without worrying about overstable/understable. Then maybe try an overstable and an understable putter. Then find the right plastic for grabbing the chains or driving, not both with the same disc :)

For a list of putter models and their flight characteristics (switch disc type):
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

For putter dimensions:
http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs-xls

EDIT: A good starting point might be something like a Suspect/Ringer (1.2cm), Pure (1.4cm), and Wizard (1.8cm). Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm definately agree with apparitions conclusions. The way a disc feels in hand and how it works for a certain person is the most important in my eye. Alot of people like the wizard, but to me it doesn't feel right and fly the way I like. Try different putters with different stability ratings, hardness, etc.

My perfect putter as of now is the classic soft judge. I prefer a softer putter, and I like how it has just the right amount of glide. Try as many as you can. Just because it works for <insert pro here> doesnt mean its gonna work for you.

Last edited:
Anode or Ion depending on which is working better at the time.

My first putter was an 11x ch aviar.i moved to pretty much everything around and ended right back to an aviar.i putt with a 12x kc pro aviar.not the san marinos or anything just some early firm grippy runs.i have to feel it before i buy it though.good luck man

Wizards for me.

When it comes down to putting it is truly the 1 thing that 99% comfort!! Most putters fly very similar within 30 or so ft. Hell, there was a guy in a tourney I played in last year that putted with an XCal and probably missed 1 within the circle.

My point is that most discs fly the same in the first 30ft, depending on the the speed they're thrown at. So find something that feels great resting in your hands and releases clean.

You find this putter and your confidence will grow!!!!

hint hint: Wizards

The yeti is good, but I want to try a putter which has a bit more putting range. . .

Funny - I just switched from the Anode to the Yeti, because the Yeti holds a straighter line for me on long pitch putts. The Anode needed more of a spin/spush putt, which caused more left-right misses.

I also like the Yeti's grip, and use it for straight approaches out to 200' or so.

Inside 20' or so, it really shouldn't matter what you putt with. Sometimes I'll putt with a Champ Rhyno if I don't feel like grabbing my regular putter.

I have been on Pures for a couple of years now. Perfect fit in my hand, clean release every time, and a reliable flight with tons of glide. Stays straight with spin, push and spush putts alike.

Glad you found what you were looking for. What did you end up choosing?
I decided to add another Yeti Pro Aviar to my bag. The grip is unrivaled for any stiff disc I have seen, and it is amazingly durable for a soft plastic.
The problem wasnt the disc, it was my confidence in the disc.

classic soft judge-on normal days-choosen as i was starting to bounce out of chains, and wanted something that would stick better
eclipse anode- windy days-was my old putter-too many chain pops, but it handles in wind alot better

I keep 3 aviars in my bag. Although I really only use one...but nice to have for practice puts. I use it for putts around the circles edge or beyond. I know how it flies.

Up close, I use a SoftAPX. Super sticky to stick to the chains.

I decided to add another Yeti Pro Aviar to my bag. The grip is unrivaled for any stiff disc I have seen, and it is amazingly durable for a soft plastic.
The problem wasnt the disc, it was my confidence in the disc.
This, so much this. It's good that you realized that, now all you need to do is develop the practice routine and muscle memory discussed above. Ellis's clinic - linked from Youtube earlier - is great. I like to putt 15 minutes before and after each round as a warm up and to reinforce how I putt.

Nay, Classic. I picked em up at the DD store. They had Classic, Classic Soft and Biofuzion I think. Love the feel out of the box, but I'm just worried about the amount of damage they've taken.

Since they're made by Lat, I do wish for simplicity's sake, that they used the same name for their plastics. I understand wanting to separate things for brand identity, but it's getting a little overwhelming when you walk in the store. I love Gold Line and Tourney, but not for putters. Opto and VIP also $$, but not for putters. Now there's Fuzion, BioFuzion, Lucid, Classic, Classic Soft, Zero Soft, Zero Firm, RGL, EZE, TM, TM2 and I'm probably forgetting some. Maybe my brain is just full. I solidly feel that Swedish plastic is second to none, but it's getting to be a bit much. I can only imagine a store trying to keep up on stock with the relatively recent explosion of manufacturers and plastic types.

Sorry, off topic rant. The Classic doesn't say firm, so I don't know if there's another blend out there, but it feels like a firm grippy Elite X. Grippier than Pro, not as hard as KC Pro, stiffer than R-Pro or Soft X. I better stop before my brain explodes.

The regular classic is the firm. The soft is called classic soft. They wouldn't have had the Judge in Bio but maybe some dyemax fuzion ones. Those are the best driving putters I've ever come across. So glidey and long. More OS than the classic or classic soft judges. The production runs of those and lucid should be awesome.