• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What putters do you keep in your bag and why?

Carry 2 - 3. A neutral and a 'stable' putter and add a driving putter depending on course and bag size.

Vibram firm sole - beveled medium depth, inside 40, approaches
Vibram firm/med VP - beaded medium depth. wind and longer putts, approach, some driving, overhand and side arm out of trouble
.. Vibram for grip and shock absorbing. Low glide. Gotta muscle them. Stuck with them as I stay aggressive with both. Big pile of practice Vibrams

DGA breaker ; driving putter. Low profile and just right amount of stability for me. Good for line driving. I do not like to drive putters high in the air.

Last edited:
Recycle plastic (or whatever its called) Wizard for inside the circle putting
BigZ Roach - outside the circle putting, subtle short range flex shots, short and dead straight drives
Z Flx 165g Zone - short range flicks, shortish spike hyzers, thumbers
Ledgestone 177g Zone - same as above but when slightly more stability is needed or if there is a chance of holing out and putting in strong wind.

I think that drives 300' and in is the most important part of the game. My driving putters go 300' under optimal circumstances. I ditched my mids for colts end of last year and it is going great.

But yes I have a very putter heavy bag compared to most.

Ahh. I gotcha. Having zero mids makes a lot of sense with that setup.

as time has gone on I have been carrying more and more putters. The short game requires the specifics (as all areas do, but even more-so)

Approach Putters - These are Slow, Glideless discs that are great for throwing a full range shot that will sit down early and prevent going far past the basket even if you miss, great for running the chains without the risk of blowing 30ft+ beyond the basket. Great for any wind situations as they are not affected much by gusts.
Scale: Overstable approach disc 2/2/0/3 - just throw right of the basket and give it the appropriate height and let is fade in perfectly, handles any headwind, but doesn't miss the mark by much even if it hyzers out early
Serpent: Stable approach disc 2/2/0/1 - all around straight disc, handles wind, I putt with this if the winds are sketchy, very great for tunnel approaches...sits down right when you need it to

Putting Putters - Used for putting....derp
Pa3: all around great putter 3/3/0/1 - does it all really, finishes with a small hyzer
Atom: Great putter also all around 3.5/3.5/0/0.5 - best for longer putts, seems to hold its velocity straight very well, sits in chains excellent and is a very straight disc when thrown...mainly long putts

Throwing / Short range Discs - Putters in Premium plastics that can handle power and any unfortunate tree hits
Pa4: Understable for short range throws 3/3/-1/0 its 173g 400 plastic, holds up well, still stable enough
Pa3: Straight with more high speed stability 3/3/0/1.5 Handles power, goes straight with a smooth hyzer towards the end
Harp:Straight with power, but a more aggressive hyzer finish 4/3/0/3 Overstable enough, handles short forehand throws
Also use one occasionally in BT Hard plastic for putting

2 Classic Blend Judge for putting only.

1 Beat in Classic Judge for approaches and understable drives.

1 Sligtly Beat Zero Hård Sinus for backhand drives and approaches.

1 Cryztal Zone (very overstable) mostly for flick approaches.

Last season I also had a Fuzion Judge for drives. Not sure if I will this year.

I recently went through a process of working with some putters, and I'm adding more to the bag as my form and game get better, to wit:

Classic (hard) Warden - in-the-circle putting
Opto Pure - straight driving putter, also for long approaches. This thing is near to kicking my beloved Panther clean out of the bag...
Lucid Judge - I don't use this a lot, but it's become money for downhill slight anny shots on my home course, as well as some approaches. Backs up the Pure, as well.
Star Colt and Star Stud - these discs are a perfect combo for approach shots, with the Colt being the main approach disc and the Stud being used into the wind and where some hyzer is desired/needed..

2 Yeti Aviars - Putting only (most of the time at least ;)).
1 Pro Pig - Most upshots and short hyzer drives.
1 Proto 400s PA4 - Recently threw this back in the bag, $$$ for short anhyzer drives and upshots. Wish I had a proto backup for it though; the production ones I tried weren't as stable.

2 aviars: one to miss the putt and the other to clean up
3 rhinos: one to go left another to go less left, and another to go straight then left
I also flick these to go right

4 Putters total, all Judges

2 Classic Judges for Putting only (I have 5 total that I cycle through to maintain even wear)
1 Fluid Judge for Straight Drives
1 Classic Blend Judge that's beat to crap for turnover, tailwind or anhyzer drives

Currently 6. I like to keep my putters and throwers separate.

2 matching Medium Wizards as my main putters.
1 SS Wizard for windy putting.
2 S Wizards for throwing (1 stable, 1 beat)
1 Fossil Scale for OS duties

2 Fossil Fuel Wizards as my main putting putters. 1 nicely seasoned Fossil Fuel Wiz as my straight driving, and most of my up shots under 250. 1 Fossil Scale for wind or putter drives or upshots I want to hook harder left then my Wiz. 1 Fossil Serpent for long putts or upshots I am worried my beat Wiz might glide too far past the basket.

Putters are so last year
smiley-rolleyes008.gif

Zero.
I walk up to the basket, take my Boss out of the basket, stand there for a long time talking with my buddies and marking my "1", then proceed to the next tee.

Last edited:
Putters are so last year
smiley-rolleyes008.gif

This is the year of the thumber.

Seriously,
Two Wizards for putting. One a black Soft when it is warmer, currently one purple somewhere between SS and SSS. It has no markings, and will be replaced over most of the year with another Soft or very stiff SS.

3 Judges. One is straight, two are flippy with one being Soft for up shots that stick.

Soft Envy for straight to fade.

Star or GStar Rhyno depending on my mood that day, for most of my up shots.

Very windy days I carry an Esp Zone and when I have my cart instead of backpack, I add a Dx Rhyno as well. Long story short, putters are the best category of discs.

I carry 5.

3 Yeti's. One lighter weight beat in for long putts and annie approaches, a max weight for putting and a max weight for throwing.
2 Rhyno's, a G* for throwing and a R-Pro for windy putting and up shots that I need to stick.

I am down to 4 at the moment (from 6). I have two Yeti Aviars, one Fossil Wizard and a Fossil Scale.

The Scale is for spiky upshots and anything inside 100' off the FH side.
The Yeti's and Wizard fill similar spots as great driving putters that feel great inside and outside the circle too. The Lizard has been stealing shots away from thhe Yeti's gradually over the last 2 months to the point where I might just take them out of the bag for the first time since they were released...

Zero.
I walk up to the basket, take my Boss out of the basket, stand there for a long time talking with my buddies and marking my "1", then proceed to the next tee.

I used to play like this, but it got boring very quickly only throwing 18 times a round when all my friends were taking anywhere from 2-5 throws per hole. It's way more fun to throw putters over and over and over....

I use 6 SSS (Stupid, super, soft) Wizards:

3 For putting only. Ranging from new to beat in.
3 for approach shots and drives. Ranging from new to beat in.
1 Magic (SSS) for understable approach shots and drives.

There's not much I can't get done with my S Wizard cycle , but I've been known to add an S Magic into the mix for tournaments.

A Wizard cycle of 3 for drives and approaches
1 Wizard for putting

Latest posts