• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rule would you change?

Brall

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
discraft posted this on their facebook today and it sparked some interesting discussions.

If you could change one rule in disc golf, what would it be and how would it change?

for me, it's jump putting. life would be so much easier if you could let your plant foot leave the ground before the disc leaves your hand.

for me, it's jump putting. life would be so much easier if you could let your plant foot leave the ground before the disc leaves your hand.

No, I wouldn't change this at all. Why not just let everybody move their lie a little closer then, if you could jump before putting. We don't need everybody training to be long jumpers also now. If you could jump before putting, I envision people jumping several feet closer and putting before hitting the ground.

I would standardize the baskets, too many fluke-y nuances of the different makers and types. Yes, I understand the 'entrapment area' is supposed to be meet certain requirements but a DB-5 and a Discatcher Pro are a helluva lot different that a universally-agreed upon hole size in the ground.

I'd count DROTs and wedgies and anything else the basket catches.

Or maybe I'd change the lost disc rule to rethrow, no penalty ("throwing 2"). It's enough penalty to lose a disc and, since it's usually a drive, to walk back a few hundred feet and hold up the tournament, without being penalized further for a fairly random event.

I would standardize the baskets, too many fluke-y nuances of the different makers and types. Yes, I understand the 'entrapment area' is supposed to be meet certain requirements but a DB-5 and a Discatcher Pro are a helluva lot different that a universally-agreed upon hole size in the ground.

I like the aspect of differences in baskets. It adds some nuances that ball golf doesn't have in that aspect. As far as ball golf holes go, its a helluva lot easier to cut the same size hole in the ground than it is for different companies to all make the exact same basket.

I would change the 3m rule... if you can knock it down, you should be able to play under that lie... no closer, obviously.

Its the 2 meter rule not 3. And I would go back and make that rule permanent and not leave it to the td's. Good shots dont land in trees!

I'd reduce the rim width from whatever it is now (2.6?) to about teebird/eagle size.

Add a whining penalty. Nothing ruins a round faster than a grown man crying. You're not the first person to hit that tree.

803.05 F

Currently reads, "A player who purposely damages anything on the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with section 804.05 A (2)."

I would change this to at least a dozen penalty strokes, because the vandalizing DB can still come back from a 2-stroke penalty and win, even though he's a POS. Immediate DQ would be satisfactory, but I'd personally just love to see their game fall apart after taking a circle 14.

I'd reduce the rim width from whatever it is now (2.6?) to about teebird/eagle size.

More of a tech spec than a rule.

I'd let anything suspended by the basket/chains/top count. On top, wedgies, hanging from the basket. Basically as long as your disc isn't touching the ground, it's a good putt. Eliminate all the intricacies and grey-area.

Add a rule disallowing the Basket sitting on a 6' high pole.....

I wish that obvious gimmies could be picked it for you during a tournament and still count. Especially holes that require you double back to get to the next hole.

I think that anything in, on, or wedged into the basket should count. In all my years of playing I have only seen 2 discs land and stay on top of the basket, so I guess its not to big of a deal, except for my bud that landed on top of a basket on his 1st throw! He still claims its an ace even though we all know it really isn't!

Make OB a re-tee/re-throw if it didn't hit the ground first. What a ridiculous situation having people guesstimate where a disc crossed an invisible and poorly plotted line 20' in the air 300' down a fairway. It also allows people to just run holes situated near OB knowing they will have a tap in par should they go OB.

I also believe that "play it where it lies" should be applicable in all situations. That goes for up in trees, under cars, on a bench, wherever. Thats how it used to be and it worked fine. You want relief? Take a stroke. Up in a tree? Better get flexible, get your foot up there!

No warnings.

No disc deflection devices, just an open tray.

last sanctioned tourny i played i was introduced to the "unplayable lie" rule where, in the event of your disc landing in the heart of a thick tree or bush, you can take your shot from 15' behind the tree with no penalty stroke, so long as everyone on your card agrees its "unplayable". im not sure if this is a pdga rule or upon the TD's discretion, but this rule is friggin bullsh*t. you have to go and get your disc regardless:thmbdown:

Latest posts