• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rule would you change?

Allow me to try. :D

From what I understand, the distance between the bottom of the chain support and the top of the basket (crudely illustrated below (MSPaint FTW)) is supposed to be roughly the same as the distance marked on a tree, tone pole, other object used back before the pole hole was created. A DROT would mean that the disc hit above the top marking on said object, meaning it was a missed putt, just as a disc hitting the cage (wedges anyone?) would hit below the bottom marking of same said object. This is why neither count, although this does not explain why wedges were legal up until this year.

attachment.php

This is the best explanation I've heard yet, but it was just a bad design to allow it to go on top. Bad original pole-hole design doesn't make this a good or necessary rule. As others have pointed out, a simple device sitting at the top of the pole-hole could prevent DROTs. Instead, we have a non-sense rule to protect us from bad shots - pulease. If I had a dollar for every bad shot that I've seen go in (skips, trees, wind bounces off the rim) then I could buy a basket with a good design.
Again, a bad design shouldn't require a bad rule. Eliminate the bad design or eliminate the bad rule.
Just sayin';)

I don't buy the "rewards a bad shot" argument. So if you accidentally skip putts off trees and in it shouldn't count because its rewarding you for being super bad?

But I was trying to bank it off that tree and into the basket, lol.

I'd change the mando rule back to the 'unwind' scenario where if you miss a mando, you need to throw back around it, no matter what.

Sure it can clog up a hole or two but man it sure puts the risk/reward factor into play rather than simply taking a stroke and playing from a drop zone.

Mandos sometimes are used to try and address the case that trees that were present when the hole was originally designed are no longer present, so I can see your point about having to "throw back out" or take anoptional retee, instead of assuming they threw back out in one.

The more important and necessary use of mandos is when they are needed to discourage people from endangering a public gathering place, or risking throwing into a complaining neighbor's yard and possibly getting the hole pulled by the city as a result. In this case, making people throw back around the mando would encourage them to make another throw risking the same thing, as would if they retee under the optional rethrow rule and try the same risky throw again.

Thus, the drop zone allows the hole to remain close to its original design while disouraging repeat of risky throws by less than perfect players.

As far as I know, a retee is still permitted, but I can't imagine why anyone would give up the distance to the drop zone to retee while suffering the same number of penalty throws. Thet might change if the number of penalty throws were to increase for mandos. So if that ever happens, then the mando rule needs to prohibit retees (maybe it already does, idk).

i would change the rule that says any hillbilly can go to a PIAS and buy a handful of discs, then go out to my courses and slow people down, leave beer cans everywhere, **** up signage and baskets, and make everyone else's disc golf experience less enjoyable

Drot doesnt count because it rewards a bad shot. Same as wedges, hangers, etc. The putt was bad.

If the ball lands on top of the goal In soccer, does it count

EDIT: redundant arguments is what I get for skipping a page

Or it rewards a great shot from the tee or long approach. Seems like they could set a distance rule for this type of shot counting, or maybe just say it counts "from the tee only". I've never seen this happen personally, but I've seen several aces now, so I don't think it would change that much.

Mandos sometimes are used to try and address the case that trees that were present when the hole was originally designed are no longer present, so I can see your point about having to "throw back out" or take anoptional retee, instead of assuming they threw back out in one.

The more important and necessary use of mandos is when they are needed to discourage people from endangering a public gathering place, or risking throwing into a complaining neighbor's yard and possibly getting the hole pulled by the city as a result. In this case, making people throw back around the mando would encourage them to make another throw risking the same thing, as would if they retee under the optional rethrow rule and try the same risky throw again.

Thus, the drop zone allows the hole to remain close to its original design while disouraging repeat of risky throws by less than perfect players.

As far as I know, a retee is still permitted, but I can't imagine why anyone would give up the distance to the drop zone to retee while suffering the same number of penalty throws. Thet might change if the number of penalty throws were to increase for mandos. So if that ever happens, then the mando rule needs to prohibit retees (maybe it already does, idk).

This is all true. The speed of play factor is another reason why mandos aren't played old school unwind style. However, I would LOVE to throw a one round tourney where there are mandos on every hole, and the unwind rule is in play. Talk about a lot of 8s and 9s and a ton of whiny disc golfers!

i would change the rule that says any hillbilly can go to a PIAS and buy a handful of discs, then go out to my courses and slow people down, leave beer cans everywhere, **** up signage and baskets, and make everyone else's disc golf experience less enjoyable

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I would change this new rule that I keep hearing about how the disc has to be in the basket. I remember playing in the past and having a disc get stuck in the side and people telling me to hurry up and grab it before it drops to the ground. Ah...the good old days.

Did I see somebgody say that a disc resting in the chains doesn't count, or was I mistaken?

If there was a direct correlation with ball golf, that would be a valuable source, but there isn't. So instead, we yell at each other on the internet.
Actually, there is, sort of. If the ball is almost all the way in the hole, and the only thing that is keeping it out is the flagstick, it is NOT considered in. You have to pull the flag, and ONLY if the ball goes into the hole is it considered to have holed out.

"Rule 17-4
If the ball rests against the flagstick when it is in the hole, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick and if the ball falls into the hole, the player shall be deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, shall be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty."

So funny, so true.
Not the hillbilly part, any body can be a selfish, intoxicated prick.
just the general attitude from some folk on the course.

Did I see somebgody say that a disc resting in the chains doesn't count, or was I mistaken?

Not me. What I heard is that it has to be at rest between the bottom of the basket and the top of the chains....or something like that. The way it's actually stated sounds a little confusing until you think about it for a minute if I remember correctly.

Latest posts