• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rule would you change?

The Dude: Walter, ya know, it's Smokey, so his toe slipped over the line a little, big deal. It's just a game, man.

This thread is a feast for whiners and people who want everybody else to play the game exactly like they do. Plenty of insults, too. Way to go !

I mean, what is wrong with you guys ?

A one stroke penalty shall be assigned to a player who utters any semblance of "nice shot" before another player's shot has come to rest. The "niced" player may decline said penalty stroke and instead choose to karate chop the offending player in the head. :doh:

Karate chop. On a golf course. Seriously...

803.05 F

Currently reads, "A player who purposely damages anything on the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with section 804.05 A (2)."

I would change this to at least a dozen penalty strokes, because the vandalizing DB can still come back from a 2-stroke penalty and win, even though he's a POS. Immediate DQ would be satisfactory, but I'd personally just love to see their game fall apart after taking a circle 14.

Why the name calling ? Internet mister big shot ?

What, they don't have sarcasm in Switzerland? Or maybe you just can't take a joke...

Not the same thing.
What if the ball gets caught in the net and doesn't come through?
Does it count? (This used to happen a lot back when we used cotton nets instead of nylon.)

Not the same thing.

How is a disc resting on top of the basket (DROT) the same as a ball getting stuck in the net?

ball stuck in the net btw counts - and it's the same thing as hung in the chains. The net in basketball is only a visual marker that the ball went through the hoop, the ball passing through the metal rim is what determines the points.

My analogy is the same thing - and you need to brush up on your basketball rules ;)

---
I should add: The determining factor here is what the rulebook for each sport classifies as the proper marker of a successful shot. In basketball it is the ball passing through the rim, the rest of the apparatus is simply support to hang it on an even plane at 10ft. high.

The same is for disc golf. THe actual "tray" and "chains" as defined in the rules is the proper place for the disc to rest in order to complete a hole in disc golf. The rest of the basket is SUPPORT for the tray and chains. So no - DROT does not and should not count - just as placing a basketball in between the rim and backboard, on top of the rim, or on top of the backboard (yes I've seen this too) does not qualify for a made basket.

Last edited:
DROTS shouldn't count. That's like if a soccer ball came to rest on the crossbeam of the goal.

I knew I'd get flamed.
No problem.
Lets start again with the title of the post:
"What rule would you change?"
It is my earnest and heartfelt opinion that it's the dumbest rule in DG that DROTs don't count.
I have had it hammered to me over and over that I am in the minority.
No big deal.
I have the opinion that the rest of you are wrong.
I've probably had every argument and analogy in the book raised to prove the error of my thought.
None has convinced me yet and the weak analogies and logic tossed out tonight hasn't changed my mind.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to change the rules or that I am correct.
I have my opinion and you all have yours.
You may continue with this conversation if you feel you must, but until someone can come up with something original and convincing, I will continue in my opinion and you have my blessing to continue in your opinion.
In the meantime, I follow the rules as they are written.
It's all good.

Wow, you considered that getting flamed? Live in my shoes for a day, post dangerously my friend!

This would never be a problem if the cone hole had beat out the pole hole. Maybe we should put a cone on the top of regular pole holes? Would that be better?

Wow, you considered that getting flamed? Live in my shoes for a day, post dangerously my friend!

This would never be a problem if the cone hole had beat out the pole hole. Maybe we should put a cone on the top of regular pole holes? Would that be better?

Okay, "flamed" was an overstatement.
I just get weary of other posters tasking it upon themselves to inform me that my opinion is faulty. It's an opinion, that's all. If my opinion is wrong, then no one is hurt and no rules are violated.

About those cones.
Those cone holes were awful.
on the other hand, I'd have no problem if a device was used to prevent DROT's.

3.3 Player Misconduct
B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:

(11) Overt failure or refusal to enforce the rules of disc golf during competition.

That one. I think it's ridiculous to have a rule that would sanction players who refuse to enforce rules against others in situations like agreeing not to penalty throw someone for returning a disc to a player on another card by throwing it across a body of water, or letting someone go to the restroom between holes, without stroking them for beiong tardy to the tee. There'sw a big old thread around here about it somewhere.

A close runner up would be:

3.3 Player Misconduct
B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:

(10) Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher. The Tournament Director may, at his sole discretion, elect to issue a warning to the offending player in lieu of disqualification solely at PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in immediate disqualification.

I'm one of those players who learned to play under the influence (PUI) and I can't play well sober. Now that I think about it, I wonder if my caddy can posess the alcohol, and I can just sip on the sippy straw now and then?

RIGHT NOW - a person can call a 'foot fault' on themselves. no big deal you say.
at the Bowling Green Am championship a few weekends ago a guy in my group called it on himself in the 3rd round while it was very windy. He was about 8-10 out and missed his putt and stepped through. he looked at us and said, 'anyone going to call me for a foot fault." No one was because he missed it.
#1 he needed a second and it wasn't coming from our group.
the TD said he couldn't do it but later came back and told us he could.
I called the PDGA and told them this should be changed.
it gives a guy an unfair advantage when if they know they have missed the putt after it's left their hand, they call a foot fault and get another shot after a warning.
i think this is an oversight even though this is the only time i have ever heard of this.
thoughts?

Wait, what??? I never realized you got to re-throw on a warning. I guess on the letter of the rule that is exactly how it goes. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!! That gets my vote for sure, plainly available for abuse. Its like a batter on a 0-2 count getting a wild pitch and then swinging after it hits the backstop in order to run to first.

After reading the rules it seems that there is no special treatment when you call a stance violation on yourself. The rules state that a member of the group must call the violation and another must second it. In that case he called it, and nobody seconded it. The TD was dead wrong.

EDIT: Seconding only matters when called by a group member, and seconding must come from another group member; an official cannot subsequently second it after the fact. Just in case thats how the TD justified it.

Last edited:
The person I spoke with at the PDGA headquarters asked around the office and it caught all of them off guard. i know most people would not do this but that is a round and possible touney changing type of call. it's just not in the best 'spirit' of the sport.

I knew I'd get flamed.
No problem.
It is my earnest and heartfelt opinion that it's the dumbest rule in DG that DROTs don't count.
No big deal.
I've probably had every argument and analogy in the book raised to prove the error of my thought.
None has convinced me yet and the weak analogies and logic tossed out tonight hasn't changed my mind.
You may continue with this conversation if you feel you must, but until someone can come up with something original and convincing, I will continue in my opinion and you have my blessing to continue in your opinion.
It's all good.

Nobody is flaming you. I sure as hell didn't. I simply offered up a counterpoint for debate and discussion.

If you think you can come on a message board and state your opinion and be immune from anybody else even commenting on it or having their own thoughts about it then I'd say don't bother posting.

Feel free to comment and discuss any of my opinions on any post I make, I won't consider it flaming. :thmbup:

12205-Caricature-Of-The-Beautiful-Blond-Paris-Hilton-As-A-Female-Devil-In-Hell-Wearing-A-Pink-Dress-Red-Cape-And-Horns-And-Standing-In-Front-Of-Flames-While-Holding-Her-Little-Chihuahua-Dog-Tinkerbell-Thats-Hot-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

FLAMING. THAT'S SO HOT!

For what it's worth, DiscJunkie, I agree with you.

I think that if the basket apparatus is supporting the disc, it should be good. The comparisons that other people have made to other sports seem to be misleading to me. Basketball/Soccer/Baseball have almost nothing in common with Disc Golf, so making direct comparisons between the rulebooks is absurd. If there was a direct correlation with ball golf, that would be a valuable source, but there isn't. So instead, we yell at each other on the internet.

I knew I'd get flamed.
No problem.
No big deal.
It's all good.

Allow me to try. :D

From what I understand, the distance between the bottom of the chain support and the top of the basket (crudely illustrated below (MSPaint FTW)) is supposed to be roughly the same as the distance marked on a tree, tone pole, other object used back before the pole hole was created. A DROT would mean that the disc hit above the top marking on said object, meaning it was a missed putt, just as a disc hitting the cage (wedges anyone?) would hit below the bottom marking of same said object. This is why neither count, although this does not explain why wedges were legal up until this year.

attachment.php

If there was a direct correlation with ball golf, that would be a valuable source, but there isn't. So instead, we yell at each other on the internet.

OK, the ball lands on top of the flag but does not fall into the cup. No yelling necessary :hfive:

Attachments

• Anti-DROT.JPG
    Anti-DROT.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 58
I know I'll get flamed. Don't care.
You have your opinion and I have mine.

DROT not counting is the dumbest rule in disc golf.
If it is suspended or supported by the basket or chains, it should count.
:popcorn:

Drot doesnt count because it rewards a bad shot. Same as wedges, hangers, etc. The putt was bad.

If the ball lands on top of the goal In soccer, does it count

EDIT: redundant arguments is what I get for skipping a page

Last edited:
i would change the rule that doesn't say "stop yelling and blasting your cell phone music and littering and going slow without ever checking behind you and leaving sticks and towels entwined into the baskets", and i would have the rule book instead say a rule against that (instead of not saying one). that would be my rule change.

I'd change the mando rule back to the 'unwind' scenario where if you miss a mando, you need to throw back around it, no matter what.

Sure it can clog up a hole or two but man it sure puts the risk/reward factor into play rather than simply taking a stroke and playing from a drop zone.

I don't buy the "rewards a bad shot" argument. So if you accidentally skip putts off trees and in it shouldn't count because its rewarding you for being super bad?

Latest posts