• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rules would you add (not really, but you might wish for)

I say do away with the putting circle altogether. Let the people jump/step putt if they want. Just enforce the existing rules for contact at release point and be done with it.

Our sport treats the pros at USDGC and the 7 year olds at their local C tiers, in terms of the rules, the same.

Absolutely no other sport does that.

There needs to be rules and consequences directly related to pro divisions, amateur divisions and junior divisions.

A few examples where it would make sense:
- Falling putt - distance for pros 66 feet, ams 33 feet, juniors 20 feet.
- Incorrect scorecard - pros DQ, Ams 2 throws, juniors no penalty
- missing a hole - pros DQ, ams and juniors par plus 4

There also needs to be more consideration for tiers. Drinking beer during a major shouldn't be the same punishment as drinking beer on a private course during a c tier.

Finally, there needs to be a complete re-work of the testing process. If you want to run an event, you should take the "TD test." This would have some ruling scenarios but focus much more on application of rules such as "sam smith pdga 1234 and jon jones PDGA 1241 both are in MA40 and both shoot 54. Who is listed first on the leaderboard".

If you want to play in a bigger event, there needs to be a "player card" test. This would be much more about on the course scenarios. "Tom calls a foot fault and you agree, what should you do?"

The current test doesn't really help either situation but the officials card is used for both.

Yeah but then I can hear it now; "Oh that wasn't a putt that was a throw."

My wishlist rule would then be: "A player's momentum may not take them beyond their marked lie on any throw not taken from the designated teeing area." Or some such thing

I say do away with the putting circle altogether. Let the people jump/step putt if they want. Just enforce the existing rules for contact at release point and be done with it.

Problem is it's too difficult to enforce without slo-mo

My wishlist rule would then be: "A player's momentum may not take them beyond their marked lie on any throw not taken from the designated teeing area." Or some such thing

Problem is it's too difficult to enforce without slo-mo

I agree that determining if a jump putt was legal or illegal is damn near impossible during in real time... and often impossible even on slo mo replay. Did the disc leave their hand before their feet left the ground? Who the F knows. Sometimes I can watch them 5-6 times and not be sure.

But, the way I read your proposal, the only time a player could take a "normal" follow through would be on the tee.

Are you basically saying "No follow through beyond the lie on long fairway and approach shots?"

Last edited:
Just ban jump putts. Outside circle 1 you can still 'step' putt....just like you follow through on a tee shot or fairway shot, you should be able to follow through on a putt outside circle 1....just no jumping allowed.

Yeah but then I can hear it now; "Oh that wasn't a putt that was a throw."

Well isn't it illigal currently to be over the mini on the normal throw anyhow?

Then ban being over the mini on any throe except the drive off tee before the disc has come to rest to fix the rule on just banning Jump putts if that is not working and I am wrong with above statement.

Just ban jump putts. Outside circle 1 you can still 'step' putt....just like you follow through on a tee shot or fairway shot, you should be able to follow through on a putt outside circle 1....just no jumping allowed.

Oh Never thought about that move still being legal, more then likely a step putt is not as easy to make an infraction due to more players able to tell when an infraction happend easier due to less parts to the step over mini putt. With a jump putt the jump put has the extra in the air bit while going over the min making the ability to tell if infraction happened more difficult. Then players including Pro's could still do the step behind the mini inside circle 1 to be happy as long as the front foot is within the maximum from mini before disc is released. :thmbup:

Is jump putting actually a problem though?

I've had the same question—did he or didn't he? Watched slo mo and concluded that it has not been a fault. Not saying that's always the case, but I think it's normally the case.

I'd leave it be. It's more hand wringing (IMO) than actual problem.

The other one I want is the disc stuck above 2 meter rule no longer allowed in the old form anywhere including California and at the Discretion of the Director. Instead the option is to play like a lost disc with whatever is max time to look for the disc in a PDGA tournament but this time is used in getting disc down and if in that time it is not gotten the lost disc, then after it is played directly below like a 2 meter rule if using 2 meter rule. Now people carry a small golf ball or tennis ball for getting discs down or they have some kind of very long disc grabber with collapsible pole so getting a disc down is easier then up to 2000 or earlier when disc bags did not have much extra storage for stuff to carry other then discs up to 10-12 for most old bags pre 2000.

Our sport treats ... card is used for both.

Nice list. If you had included:

Players should be able to play for cash in lower divisions than Open (which would be the only Pro division).​

and

TDs should be able to charge market rates for their time and services.​

you would have a complete recipe for fixing the game.

dcdf5b42acb95fa3551faa23a2f1e9e4.jpg

TDs should be able to charge market rates for their time and services.​

you would have a complete recipe for fixing the game.

lol y'all can't afford me.

Have to agree with Casey. The 2m rule needs to go away. Like go away so it's not even an option. Is there another sport where there is a single rule that is - optional? I don't think there is. I mean, how dumb does a rule have to be to be made optional?

Have to agree with Casey. The 2m rule needs to go away. Like go away so it's not even an option. Is there another sport where there is a single rule that is - optional? I don't think there is. I mean, how dumb does a rule have to be to be made optional?

Another sport? Does Dungeons and Dragons count?

But it's not a single rule: OB, hazard, casual areas, mandos, relief areas; are all optional. (And their counterpoints in another sport called golf.) They don't exist unless the TD chooses to use them. Why should applying the two meter rule to a particular object, hole, or the whole course be different than applying the OB rule to a particular area?

Uh? I think in NFL and NCAA as well as most High School football it is optional to do a PAT that is just a field goal or go for two points in the PAT. That is as close as you see to an optional rule in another sport. Even that is not a truly optional rule the way the 2 meter is.

All I know is they had to leave the rule in or California mostly over the 2006 rule book the older players running tournaments at the time who were used to the 2 meter rule were threatening break off of the PDGA and form a new governing body in the 2000's that was just for California only where the 2 meter rule was used. The PDGA caved in to allow it for California, and other places. I say get rid of it and if the California groups both northern and southern California regions complain like in the 2000's, then have only California use the 2 meter rule.

I was saying change the rule so the penalty is not going to be there for players with the 2 meter rule in affect a disc is up beyond two meters in California 90% of the time. California is the main place 99% of the time using the 2 meter rule anyhow as they have old players stuck in a mindset running the two main sections of California Northern and Southern.

Last edited:
This is more for cash games and fun groups that play a typical $5/man ace bet and not officially tourney rules...

We have a standard 5/1 betting rule($5 for aces and $1 for a metal hit for those that don't know it) in our weekend group but we also do it in reverse. Which means that if you black ace or hit metal on the wrong basket, then you owe every one else $5/1. Never had to enforce the ace yet but there have been many close calls and 1 metal hit, lol.

Last edited:
Another sport? Does Dungeons and Dragons count?

But it's not a single rule: OB, hazard, casual areas, mandos, relief areas; are all optional. (And their counterpoints in another sport called golf.) They don't exist unless the TD chooses to use them. Why should applying the two meter rule to a particular object, hole, or the whole course be different than applying the OB rule to a particular area?

I'd argue those are optional course elements. Not rules. Whether those elements are used or not the related rules always apply.

I think the 2m rule is dumb because if you are 2m+ up in a tree you're already screwed. It means your disc should have traveled another 20-50' or more but is now hung up and/or you have a craptastic lie right next to the trunk or whatever shule happens to be below the tree. You're already penalized IMHO.

When I coached baseball, we'd meet with the umpires before the game and discuss ground rules---special rules that applied to special features on that particular field.

When I coached baseball, we'd meet with the umpires before the game and discuss ground rules---special rules that applied to special features on that particular field.

Yeah,we had a flagpole surrounded by a chain-link fence in straigtaway center. Any ball that rolled inside the fence was a ground rule double.