• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rules would you add (not really, but you might wish for)

Yeah but I'm saying...it's all casual. Can you find your disc and throw in waist-deep water? No penalty.

Ehhh...I don't think that should be the case. There are some bodies of water we're just not allowed to venture into so making it casual or OB ought to be up to the TD/LD. We have a pond at our home course for example (which is a very easy carry) where we are specifically prohibited from swimming in.

starter pack tournament would be awesome!

I haven't seen a 'true' starter pack tournament, but I have seen tournaments put on by different brands where they supply you the discs you use. Unfortunately, they aren't sanctioned tournaments....but they are fun if you ever get to try one.

I've done an Ace Race, where we got two discs (they were mid-ranges) and that's all we could use.

I've done a Legacy Confidence Clash, where I got three Legacy discs (putter, midrange, fairway driver) and that's all the could be used.

A 'true' starter pack tournament could be loads of fun....get back to the basics.

Ehhh...I don't think that should be the case. There are some bodies of water we're just not allowed to venture into so making it casual or OB ought to be up to the TD/LD. We have a pond at our home course for example (which is a very easy carry) where we are specifically prohibited from swimming in.

"806.04 Relief Area

A. A relief area is an area designated by the Director from which a disc may not be played, or any in-bounds area that players are prohibited by law from entering. A relief area is played as an out-of-bounds area with the exception that no penalty throw is assessed to a player whose disc comes to rest in a relief area."

The only reason I would be against the DQ is that I know of cases where someone signed up for a multi-day tournament and then was unable to make one day. If they were DQ'd, they would be out the entire tournament. The +4 a hole still allows them to play in the tournament.

I realize that I seem to be the only one that sees the other side of the coin . . . . there's a 3 hour rain delay that causes the tournament to go waaaaaayyyy past any reasonable estimate of when the thing should end, a player has to be at some unmissable thing that happens AFTER THE LONGEST ROUND IN THE HISTORY OF THIS TOURNAMENT EVER BY 3 HOURS, pick something -- a non-refundable flight, her wedding, his mother's 50th surprise birthday party, work, anything that forces the player to leave early -- that player will get DQ'd (please don't quote the rules and tell me it's at the TD's discretion -- the player that leaves early gets DQ'd and it's because of the history/culture of the sport and when Player X is staring the TD in the face for the cash that the player that left for the unmissable thing and would have beat Player X by 8 cajillion throws the TD says -- "Hey they left -- they're DQ'd here's your cash!!) and the player that over-slept because they drank too much the night before and misses the first 2 baskets takes par plus four and gets whatever that happens to get them.

I'm the only one -- it's such a simple rule to change and so silly the way it is . . .. either we get to not play and get par +4 or not play and get DQ'd . . .. just PICK ONE . . .. I know the history, I know why it's stupid, it doesn't make it not stupid.

Did I type that out-loud? Meh -- bored. Please don't think it's ever happened to me because it hasn't -- I've been late, got penalized, got to play . . . .the irony being I was late because I wasn't cashing no matter what so the point was moot. Still a dumb rule.

Most likely I'll be back in 5/6 yrs when this rolls around again on the msg board . .. . if I'm late -- start without me!!

Score capping resolves all of this being late or leaving early. The only rules needed in addition to allowing max scores are the player who leaves must inform the TD or even players in the group that they will not finish the round. In addition, a player cannot post a complete round of capped scores. They have to at least play say half of the holes in the round to show they were there or it's a DNF for that round.

Ain't gonna sugar coat this...I've read paulw's post like 4 times and I still have no idea what is going on here. Maybe I'm stupid so I guess I'm gonna need someone to dumb it down for me or something...

Sorry. The rule I want changed is the one where it's ok to come late but you can't leave early.

It really impacts next to no one it's just one of those things that for whatever reason bugs me.

I used to think you should be dq'ed either way, now I think you should get par plus four either way ....just make it the same.

The long post above, disregard. No worries.

I realize that I seem to be the only one that sees the other side of the coin . . . . there's a 3 hour rain delay that causes the tournament to go waaaaaayyyy past any reasonable estimate of when the thing should end, a player has to be at some unmissable thing that happens AFTER THE LONGEST ROUND IN THE HISTORY OF THIS TOURNAMENT EVER BY 3 HOURS, pick something -- a non-refundable flight, her wedding, his mother's 50th surprise birthday party, work, anything that forces the player to leave early -- that player will get DQ'd (please don't quote the rules and tell me it's at the TD's discretion -- the player that leaves early gets DQ'd and it's because of the history/culture of the sport and when Player X is staring the TD in the face for the cash that the player that left for the unmissable thing and would have beat Player X by 8 cajillion throws the TD says -- "Hey they left -- they're DQ'd here's your cash!!) and the player that over-slept because they drank too much the night before and misses the first 2 baskets takes par plus four and gets whatever that happens to get them.

I'm the only one -- it's such a simple rule to change and so silly the way it is . . .. either we get to not play and get par +4 or not play and get DQ'd . . .. just PICK ONE . . .. I know the history, I know why it's stupid, it doesn't make it not stupid.

Did I type that out-loud? Meh -- bored. Please don't think it's ever happened to me because it hasn't -- I've been late, got penalized, got to play . . . .the irony being I was late because I wasn't cashing no matter what so the point was moot. Still a dumb rule.

Most likely I'll be back in 5/6 yrs when this rolls around again on the msg board . .. . if I'm late -- start without me!!

I won't quote rules, but it seems strange the person would get DQ'd for leaving early, I've been in a few sanctioned tournaments where the person left early (usually for an injury) and just got a DNF for the round. In a recent tournament, a player DNF'd the first round and then played the next one with no issue - they just had a high score for the first round.

Sorry. The rule I want changed is the one where it's ok to come late but you can't leave early.

It really impacts next to no one it's just one of those things that for whatever reason bugs me.

I used to think you should be dq'ed either way, now I think you should get par plus four either way ....just make it the same.

The long post above, disregard. No worries.

You can absolutely leave early. There's really no such thing as a DQ in PDGA play AFAIK for the scenarios you are presenting. I suppose getting disciplinary action could be considered a DQ - but I am not very well versed in how all that works.

I think there's a difference between the two is someone showing up late and still willing to play is different than someone leaving early. People leave early to protect their ratings sometimes so there really needs to be a penalty for that. Maybe the par+4 for the remaining holes would be a better deterrent than the 888 thing - I don't know. However, if you have a personal engagement or some other emergency that forces you to leave early which (should be) a code 999. Where if you leave early for the same reason and get slapped with par+4 for the remaining holes could have a rather adverse effect on your rating. Whereas a 999 has no effect on your rating.

FYI quitting a tourney early just because you're playing bad is a weak move IMHO. Just gut it out and take your freaking medicine.

Tournament Sanctioning Rules for A-Tiers and above

Teepads must be concrete.
Teepads must be clear from all obstacles surrounding the sides and back. Not sure how much room
Teepads must have at least 8' of clearance for height.

I would like to say that all teepads must be flush with the ground but thats a bit less realistic.
Pretty much I wish teepads were standardized like baskets were. There are too many injuries from bad teepads.

Teepads must be concrete.
Teepads must be clear from all obstacles surrounding the sides and back. Not sure how much room

I would like to say that all teepads must be flush with the ground but thats a bit less realistic.
Pretty much I wish teepads were standardized like baskets were. There are too many injuries from bad teepads.

I like the idea but I if the PDGA starts mandating course design standards would that open a pandora's box of liability? Plus, what's wrong with turf tees?

Restrict OHs to scramble shots only. For me, if I have to throw an OH, I'm either off the fairway in jail, or the hole has no good line to the basket other than that.

Also ratings cap some age divisions (MA40 for example).

Both of these are directly related to a local guy plaiying MA40 instead of MA1 and placing 1 back of a sponsered pro who played MPO on the same layout.

I like the idea but I if the PDGA starts mandating course design standards would that open a pandora's box of liability? Plus, what's wrong with turf tees?

I wouldnt see this leading to pandoras box being opened up but I could see how one could get there. If the PDGA had some sort of standards for the teeing area I would have those standards end at the front of the teepad. Part of my feeling come from being a tall person and knowing how many courses I have run into that I have to duck down to tee off or that have teepads that dont allow a normal run up. Im not asking for Conrad sized teepads but I should be able to get a 3step xstep off the tee. I feel like if the PDGA can have standards for discs and baskets then why cant they have these standards for Teepads. My thoughts come from a mindset of safety. Im probably not the only one who has pulled a hammy because of turf pads. Just this year I can remember watching Simon and KJUSA taking horrible falls off of turf tees because they dont offer the same level of grip and confidence as a teeing surface imo. I have yet to play a turf or rubber tee that I have confidence in and would recommend. I know the Disc golf park tees get a lot of praise but I dont understand why. I know I slip on those tees and have seen a lot of others have the same issue.

Nice. I'm in. There's a course in my region where I will not play tournaments because several of the wooded holes' teepads make me feel like Gandalf visiting Bilbo at home. The branches hang within inches of my head, and I have to hunch.

(Indian Hills, in Columbia, Mo. F that course.)

Last edited:
Score capping resolves all of this being late or leaving early. The only rules needed in addition to allowing max scores are the player who leaves must inform the TD or even players in the group that they will not finish the round. In addition, a player cannot post a complete round of capped scores. They have to at least play say half of the holes in the round to show they were there or it's a DNF for that round.

I was curious how many players this would affect. I looked at the 1,117,873 hole scores for which I have both player rating and par. Results in the chart.

Conclusion: For very top players, it might never happen.

For other competitive players, it would be invoked about once every 2000 holes. Or, once every eleventy rounds.

For very low rated players, it could happen often enough to notice.

While most of the scores of par plus 5 or more were actually par plus 5, the highest score was par plus 17.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ParPlus5.png
    ParPlus5.png
    12 KB · Views: 95

I like these two rules, Concrete not needed as some Brick or paver ones that are made right will work just as well, same for the rubber if thick enough and use the right material below like with a paver system. Some tees have even used blacktop with great success, just not the Asphalt as that does not last and needs to be coated with the tar every 3 years.

I think at least 6 feet in front behind and to the side, this accommodates even the tall guys, there is a tee pad at Powerhouse Ally in Oahe Downstream State park/rec area that had behind even when the Concrete a dead small 1-1.5 inch diameter tree and in front before the concrete tee on the natural surface a stump ~2 inch from ground from a small 1.75-2 inch diameter tree cut down that most people tripped on during throwing. Natural in a Desert or Rocky course will work as well as in areas where the ground can repair after a season or short courses that do not need a run up.

Last edited:
Assuming this is for 'official tournament play'...

1. Ban jump-putting. Jump-putting demands that your card-mates enforce the rules.

2. Expand the smallest green to a 15 meter circle and allow 'course administrators' to create even larger greens of different shapes/configurations within a limit of a 25 meter circle.

3. Limit bag sizes either by number of discs or total weight of discs.

4. Reduce the maximum weight of 'legal' discs.

5. Ban caddies, either human or otherwise, except in the rare cases of disabled access - or if one man has a caddy, then every man must have a caddy.

6. All discs within 5' of the basket are considered 'gimmies' (+1 stroke & pick it up, move to the next hole). 'Circle Zero'

7. Ban all artificial 'aides' such as range finders, and the like.

I could go on but it's been a long day.

Latest posts