• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should I throw into a Headwind from my bag?

pastorcoco

Bogey Member
We are a low income family and so I can't just be adding discs to my bag regularly. I've been playing in the good ole Texas winds we have and I am having trouble deciding which disc to throw when there is a strong headwind.

Here's what's in my bag right now. For reference I throw around 175-200 feet when I get a nice clean release and good run up.

Classic Judge
Eclipse Ion
Dx Cobra
Star Foxbat
Lucid Truth
BioFuzion Truth
Dx Leopard
Dx TeeBird
Lucid Escape

Hard to say without weights, and I dont know much about the DD Truth. If your sidewinder is relatively heavy, I would throw it on a hyzer. But again, more info...where are you throwing? Right, left, straight...

Sorry, was going to include that but I forgot.
RHBH most of the time.been trying to learn a forehand for the lefty friendly courses.

Classic Judge-175
Eclipse Ion-171
Dx Cobra-180
Star Foxbat-166
Lucid Truth-179
BioFuzion Truth-177
Dx Leopard-169
Dx TeeBird-169
Lucid Escape-175

Escape at your distance, especially if it's max weight. But you should look into getting a firebird for the wind.....seriously and for forehand if you are trying to learn. Win win.

The Lucid Truth has been really good for me into wind. Give it a shot and see what you think.

The Lucid Truth has been really good for me into wind. Give it a shot and see what you think.

I tend to throw both my truths into the headwinds, and today I tried my tee bird a time or two. Just trying to figure out what works best. The last two weeks we've been fighting 20+ mph winds.

The best thing for you to do is to go to a field on a windy day and throw all of the discs you have. Experiment with release angles (particularly hyzer angles) and heights and get a feel for what/how you can and can't throw.

From the your list, the TeeBird and Escape will be the easiest to throw, but you should be able to throw most of your molds without a lot of trouble.

the escape at your arm speed will probably be the most stable in a head wind

If your DX Teebird is beat, it might be trouble in a headwind, if the headwind is strong enough.

That being said, go out there and experiment with what you have, and take note of the results. You might be just fine, you may need to throw with more of a hyzer plane, etc...

I'd like to second the Firebird. At your distance, a DX Firebird would probably be overstable enough, and it's only $7-$9. Good disc for headwinds and great disc for forehands. It's always good to have at least one overstable disc in the bag.

I forgot to ask, but what's the average hole distance you're playing? If your courses are shorter, I see no reason to switch from the Truth. Heck, EMac swears by it into the wind and even off of the tee. I think that at your current distance, sticking with slower discs for a while will be beneficial. I backed off to slower discs this past winter and focused on form and accuracy. I expected to be able to keep stuff in the fairway, but was surprised that my slower drivers (Escape, Rival, Patriot) were all giving me more distance than I was getting with stuff that was technically too fast for me.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't experiment, because if you get the right disc into / with the right wind, it can produce some great results. Get to know your discs and how they fly in different conditions and you'll have greater confidence on the course.

I usually play Paschall Park in mesquite,tx which isn't super long, but I'm playing in a tournament at Munson Park in Denison this weekend and it plays pretty long. The course is 7000+ ft total, with only 2 holes under 300ft. The wind is only supposed to be around 7mph this weekend, but the 2 practice rounds I played there the wind was 25+.

I mostly stick to my truth in the wind because it is definitely the disc I feel the most comfortable throwing, but I've been trying to learn how to throw my fairway drivers as well. As my profile shows, I've only been playing for about 2 months, so I'm still learning all aspects of the my game.

I am having trouble deciding which disc to throw when there is a strong headwind.

A headwind does two things to a disc.

The first is increase it's release speed by the same mph of the headwind. Therefore, you can throw a faster speed than you normally could without wind or reduce your arm speed (compared to no wind) and still get that disc up to speed. Imagine holding a disc level while riding atop a train at 200 mph. As soon as you let it go, the disc will be flying on it's own at 200 mph.

Next, it increases the resistance the disc faces after release. In one sense, if you are not throwing a fast enough disc based on your arm release speed combined with the oncoming wind speed, you will be overpowering the disc and forcing it to turn. This is why most players grab a more high speed stable disc throwing into the wind... because the are using the same speed they would throw without wind and need the added HSS to offset overpowering and unwanted turning.

If you choose a disc of the same HSS that you would normally throw only up the speed to match the headwind (not arm), you will find that the disc will basically fly and land the same that a slower disc (offset accordingly) would without the wind. If all you do is grab the same speed only with more HSS, it will come up short.

My guess is you throw your Ion almost as far as you're other discs and that might work pretty damn well in the wind. Try it out, practice gains experience.

find a place that sells used discs, do what everyone else does and throw the fast stuff. you will find new distance and trust much quicker but control will be tougher. wraith, light destroyer, dominator a few

play it again plano
2nd hand sports in the colony
place in McKinney forgot name

DFW guys help me out here...

dx teebirds get flippy fast when used. Do not throw a beat dx teebird into a head wind. Too much anhyzer will = too much bush.

find a place that sells used discs, do what everyone else does and throw the fast stuff. you will find new distance and trust much quicker but control will be tougher. wraith, light destroyer, dominator a few

play it again plano
2nd hand sports in the colony
place in McKinney forgot name

DFW guys help me out here...

Not very good advice. Just because everyone else does it does not mean it's right. If you are maxing out at 200' you have no use for faster discs