• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What was the first disc you ever threw?

I love telling this story. I was at summer camp and we were playing ultimate with what i thought was a really weird frisbee. before we started playing I held it and it said "Long Distance Driver" and also in big funky letters was the word "Shark". that was in 1991. looking back on it i think the counselors should have known better than let a bunch of 10 year olds play ultimate with a golf disc. but nobody got hurt and when I bought my first set of discs I had a warm smile on my face when I saw it included a Shark. It really is an underrated disc.

Not sure where I was the first go-round on this thread . . .

Played throw-and-catch and freestyle a lot with Wham-o World Class 141g and 165g discs in my teen years. Kept using those when started making up object courses around Fayetteville, Ark. in 1979-80. Bought a couple of Wham-o/DGA Midnight Flyers after that. First real special purpose golf discs were a DGA Kitty Hawk Driver and Kitty Hawk Putter, both of which I still have (the driver still has Ted Smethers' initials and PDGA number on it, from back when an official had to certify the disc as legal for tournament use). Also still have an early-eighties vintage Midnight Flyer golf disc that was originally glued to a trophy plaque from winning the Around 9 competition at the 1984 Arkansas State Championships -- used it to play catch with my son to warm up for a tournament this past weekend.

After I moved to Atlanta, I didn't play for a while, then when I decided to give it another whirl in the early 90s I bought a handful of stuff from IFO in Little Five Points -- some Lightning thing that I lost not long after, a Magnet, some really stable Innova driver I couldn't throw at all and lost, and a Jaguar. Then I didn't play more than once every few years for about 15 years. Still have the Jaguar, and only lost the Magnet a couple of years ago after I returned to the game in earnest.

We've got to go WAY back to 1987 or 86, My Uncle gave me one of his, and I used to go out and throw around in an empty field next door to my house. I still have it, It's an old Discraft Phantom+. It's been a while since I've thrown it!

Yes, it would still be another 18 years before I would start playing. I know what you are thinking, and I don't have an answer for you.

Not even sure what it is, except it's an Innova........and yes i still have it.

54957_g.jpg

54954_g.jpg

And my first big wing driver....... LOL !

54955_g.jpg

54956_g.jpg

YELLOW PRO - D CYCLONE. Forced me to buy an Eilte X dyed Cyclone and I have been playing for the last 8 years. MAGIC........

This thread just reminds me of how annoyed I was to have my first disc(dx leopard) stolen strait off the course my second day out. I really liked the way it looked, yellow with turquoise hot stamp. Still only assume it was stolen, but for where it went I can't think of where else it could have gone unless it sprung legs and ran away. It is starting to annoy me and my friends with how few people in our disc community return discs. Not to say none do, but with having had 2 stolen already...meh I'll stop the rambling there, don't want to have it turned into a katana lost disc thread.(again, sorry for the rambling)

umm first disc i bought was an unknown putter ... tie died and and no stamp... have no idea what happened to it... dyed all the way though..., not clear, just solid blue and white fissures coming from the center, bottom and top.... first disc i actually threw was a rental banshee from mad bert in niles, mi... seems like a long time ago now..

My first putter was a 150g Wham-o putter. Then I graduated into a 150g Eagle for my driver. I don't carry it anymore, but I have heavier Eagles now. Some day I'll find an exact heavier replacement.

I went on a date when i was 17 and we went and bought a disc and purely bought them based off the picture. I bought a red gazelle with a rainbow stamp and she bought a yellow cheetah. that was 11 years ago....

The first discs I ever bought were at the Clearwater disc golf store. I purchased a Champ Leopard, DX Cheetah, DX Eagle, DX Spider, and a Champ Aviar. My old roommate stole the cheetah and lost it, the rest I still have. Funny that I have lost countless discs over the years, but I have never lost one of those first discs myself.

I'm pretty sure it was a Gazelle. The first time I went, we stopped at the store because my buddy wasn't going to let me lose any of his discs...I got a Gazelle, Z-MRV, and a Piranha...good times, good times...

discraft elite-x x2, first hole in one with that disc. Should have retired it right then, instead lost it like 3 weeks later.

Super Puppy,i think its by Destiny.bought it in 83 and still have it. Bought it from a guy at Bayville Park in VA.