• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What was the first disc you ever threw?

I think the very first disc I threw was a Reaper. My buddy who was into disc golf took 3 of us out to play. He didn't have a lot of discs, but I didn't know any better. If I knew then what I know now I would have asked for the putter!

First disc golf specific disc I threw was a DX Leopard back when I didn't know what disc golf was. Though it could arguably also be the Wham-O Max Flight, but I think it was mainly designed as a longer range catch disc. I miss that one, they're next to impossible to find nowadays in Finland, and I think only the newer glow versions are available in the States...

Red DX Wraith that I bought on a whim after reading how awesome Wraiths were online. Of course I couldn't throw it more than 100 ft but I still loved it. I remember almost losing it on the last hole in some tall, snake-y looking grass and looking for it close to an hour. I remember thinking, why on earth would I want to keep playing this, but then I found it and all was good.

The first disc I ever threw was also my first disc purchase. It was a champ sidewinder or DX Aviar. I bought them both at the same time, unsure of what flew first.

I bought them because my friends at work played this strange game called "disc golf" and I had to try it! I was too shy to ask to borrow a disc from somebody, so I went out and bought my own.

The sidewinder I passed along to my nephew to throw. The Aviar actually broke in very very well and is a $MONEY$ disc. I still carry it in my bag and use it for straight, short tee shots, but the Wizard is my putter nowadays.

Rubber Putter #1. I worked at a camp in Louisiana and that's all they had. Played a whole summer with nothing but putters. After that, my Drivers felt pretty good!

In college I played with a 120 gram beach disc around campus. Once I started to go to actual courses I got a dx shark.

Last edited:
I think it was probably the summer of 1993 in Ann Arbor, MI. I was taking 8 credit hours for the summer term and therefore had a little extra time on my hands to enjoy the beautiful MI summer. On a lazy afternoon, a couple buddies mentioned they were going to play disc golf and asked if I wanted to join them. I accepted and we stopped off at In Flight (I believe R.I.P.) on the way out of town. I picked up a brand new yellow Cyclone. I was told it was the disc of the future by the shop owner. My buddies didn't tell me where we were going and it was a beautiful drive right next to the Huron River all of the way there. After stopping off to grab some suds, we entered the park...Hudson Mills Metropark. I had no idea what I was getting into. What an incredible course to be introduced to the game of disc golf on - manicured fairways, 2 sets of concrete tee pads, each hole with its own unique space. After the warm up hole and 1st hole were done, I launched the Cyclone into the chest high grass. After searching for about 10 minutes, I heard a very distinct rattling noise coming from the ground somewhere in front of me. I instinctively looked down and saw a yellow disc, grabbed it, and ran like hell back out to the fairway. Whew! Anyway, it wasn't until the round was over that I realized that the disc I found was not my Cyclone. It was in fact an Innova Viper, one of the most overstable discs of the day. Because I had to learn how to throw the Viper right off the bat, everything else that I threw later seemed like a piece of cake. The Viper lasted me until the winter, when I split it half at the very same course and had to retire my first ever ACE disc! Good memories!

First thing I ever threw was a Star Skeeter, it's the one in my avatar. My buddy in Seattle who got me into disc golf gave it to me about 4 years ago.

First disc thrown

The first disc I threw was a DX Leopard. It has hit many a tree since then and is pretty much so understable now that it flies to the right as soon as I let it go. Some may say that is a good thing, but it is very unreliable. I still have it though.

I used regular frisbees my first couple of rounds.
The first disc I threw ever threw that was meant for disc golf was the Cheetah. My first 4 discs were:

DX Cheetah
DX Eagle
DX Birdie
Omega SS putter

...bought them all at the same time.

Latest posts