• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] What Was Your First Disc(s)

A Star Roadrunner and Champion Destroyer.

My son (12 yrs) came back from spending three weeks with my sister and her family with a DX Roc and the passion about a sport called Disc Golf. Seeing this as a chance to spend some time with him I went to a local store that sells a nice selection of disc and asked what they recommended for a completely raw beginner. I left the store with a Star Roadrunner and Champion Destroyer. :doh: They never did explain to what a putter or mid-range disc was. This was two months ago.

I have a long ways to go ......

JLS, I don't know what type, but my friend who got me playing let me borrow his for awhile, a blue one, and then a white one. I lost the white one in the creek. Then he actually bought me a black one out of the back of someone's truck for 3$. Lost that one in a creek as well. First disc I bought myself was a glow Stalker that I had until last year when I lost it in some trees. Stalker is still one of my favorite discs, but after losing 3 JLSes, I haven't really thrown one since.

My first disc that I bought was a Z Xpress.

I had other discs before that but I couldn't tell you the first of those. Just some old discs that were given to me.

My memory sucks. I think it was a Valk or Viking. Maybe a birdie. None of which are still in the bag.

083b639f-f811-4aa7-848b-4e06638c65fe_zpsf44a278f.jpg

this was my first disc. well, not this one, mine was white. this one was just given to me recently... it was this or an XD- they were the only options available.

Champ Starfire found in a creek while running. Tried to throw it, realized that disc golf wasn't a joke. And now I am here.

Coworker handed down a beat to under stable DX Leopard about a year ago. Still have it.

Discraft Tracer (not a Tracker) circa 1998. Looked similar to this one:

94899_lg.jpg

Backhand newb hyzers. check
Tommy. check
Putt. check
Accidental rollers. check

It could do it all.

I think I got my Protostamp Spider and Fly-Die Elite-Z XS around 2001. Added a 11x Teebird, 11x Aviar and 4x Valk around 2004. Played with those for several years + discs I found (lots of Orcs). Went ape**** buying plastic in 2012. And then I found DGCR.

Last edited:
Having no idea what ratings even were, my first two discs that I bought together were a DX Viper and a DX Shark. I just lost the Shark the other week on Hole 5 at Sertoma Field in Walhalla (I was stuck in some trees, went to tomahawk the shark and discovered how to throw a drop roller; unfortunately it rolled into the creek, went over the little rapids and then I couldn't find it) but I still have the Viper. I bought them from the Academy that had just opened in my town and then immediately went out and played a round at the local nine hole course in the park. Once I figured out what flight ratings meant I realized the Viper probably wasn't a good idea as a first driver, but DANG is that stamp cool looking! I don't usually carry the Viper with me but once I get a bigger bag it'll definitely stay in the bag because it's a great get out of trouble disc

First discs I bought after using my friends ad wanting my own was a champion boss and a dx aviar. Lost the boss two rounds later (imagine that) two years later when I started playing with the club in my towns a now very good friend of mine told me about the rasta dyed champion boss he had found two years prior in the spot I lost it. Told him how that was most likely mine and he have it back to me (never give up hope on lost discs) still don't have the arm speed for that sucker so it just sits in my collection. The aviar however went from main putter for two years to upshot disc to most beat to crap flippy upshot disc in my bag. Things money love canned an ace with it for $80 and it's my most useful disc in the bag. 3-4 years going and it's still got it's spot in the bag, at least untill my less seasoned dx aviar becomes as flippy as that beauty

Same here, my first disc was a San Marino P&A Aviar bought in 2006. I bought it because it had a basket on the front! That disc is now totally thrashed and it's one of my favorite discs and still in the bag to this day. Can't beat it for jump putts and short dogleg rights.

150g DX white Leopard with rainbow stamp

I loved it, got beat in nice, lost it at Lumberton DGC in Lumberton, TX (just north of Beaumont). Came with the Innova starter set. I lost it either at hole 8 or 10 to the right OB. My shoes almost came off walking through the mud there, didn't want to spend more time looking for it. Kinda sucks to lose it, but it's such an easily replaceable disc. I realized about a week or two ago I need to quit getting so attached to these discs - at least until I get better.

I guess I should also list the Shark that came with the set and the Aviar. Still have the Aviar, that Shark is in the same pond as a DX Teebird, Wraith, and Test Material Diamond... yeah, I hate that pond. I did find a floating disc in it today with no ink though.

Last edited:
My first disc of my own was a Champion Monster I found while playing with some buddies (I had borrowed a disc). The first I bought was a Star Valkyrie.

cheetah, shark, and aviar...all 150. played a few rounds...got the hang of it from playing ultimate for so long...went to play it again and bought a champion 5x valk, champion 11x aviar, and rpro roc. i added a katana, a destroyer, a teebird, an ESP buzzz, and a wraith after about 6 months...that was my bag for 2 years till the roc broke in half(january cold in the south) and i figured out i needed to disc down to thow far...i started working on technique in 2012

Last edited:
My first disc was a red 175g JLS that I found at Central Park in 2002. I had only thrown a buddy's Elite X Predator before I found the JLS, needless to say I liked the JLS a lot more lol. The first discs I paid money for were a 167g DX Aviar, 180g bottom stamped San Marino DX Roc, a fly dye 175g Champion TeeBird, and a 172g fly dye Champion Orc, all acquired from GGGT's old Minneapolis location. These were all in my bag that got stolen. I mourn their loss to this day.

The most beautiful marbly pink/white star Rhyno and Pro Valyrie. Stolen. Thieves took nothing else from the car. Just took my discs and took my cd player cover off :confused:

I feel your pain, bag thieves deserve their own special section in Hell. the people who broke into my vehicle also stole my O'Neill board shorts... Wtf

Latest posts