• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What won't Gateway Stamp

Dora the Explora showing kids how to make meth with household materials in comic sans. Free original idea right there.
****. I'd buy a disc with that stamp.

#GrowTheSport and whatnot.

I have a specific IP/licensing example on Gateway but I won't name the property. Basically, a famous group sells their likeness as a licensed property. Someone I know has paid a LOT of money for that license, and they now own the exclusive rights to produce that group's image on discs. It'll be awesome! But they paid a lot for that right, and it's a major part of their production cost. On the other hand, Gateway has already run an unlicensed version of this product without paying anything for the property. Under the radar, lololol. The end result is that the legitimate licensed product has a much lower chance of making it to market at a competitive price. Sure they could sue Gateway over it, but that's even more cost.

I disliked Dynamic for a long time because of how much unlicensed copyrighted material they reproduced. But now they've paid up for the Marvel license and are creating awesome discs that reach beyond the DG market and will get kids interested in DG. That's fantastic. I'd love to see some Star Wars discs too -- but there's Gateway stealing it for free. I think it's detrimental to the growth of disc golf to support thievery like that.

I appreciate these examples, and given the pattern that they portray I understand the general dislike that some have for Gateway. Without that context it seemed like garden variety internet hating. Providing that background helped me better understand your point, and I'm certainly sorry that you have personally had your property used in ways you don't agree with.

LOL.

The Grateful Dead completely mismanaged their IP for DECADES. Millions and millions of dollars left on the table.

They NEVER were a financially stable organization and that pressure ended up killing the band.

They are the perfect example of how NOT to do it.

And this is coming from a fan.

Really... And Jerry dying had nothing to do with there demise.. The Dead were almost always the top grossing touring band every year and made boatloads of cash I guess they just didn't give a crap as they were already making millions.

Oh hell yeah I've been ripped off and stolen from, exploited, not paid for work, etc. Do you own something? Would you mind if I stole it? Say you were having a yard sale of your property, and something has a price tag on it because you intend to sell it (this is licensed art & logos in the analogy)... do you mind when someone sees it, likes it, and decides the price is $0 because they want it? AND THEN they stand there and sell it to someone as their own property?

I have a specific IP/licensing example on Gateway but I won't name the property. Basically, a famous group sells their likeness as a licensed property. Someone I know has paid a LOT of money for that license, and they now own the exclusive rights to produce that group's image on discs. It'll be awesome! But they paid a lot for that right, and it's a major part of their production cost. On the other hand, Gateway has already run an unlicensed version of this product without paying anything for the property. Under the radar, lololol. The end result is that the legitimate licensed product has a much lower chance of making it to market at a competitive price. Sure they could sue Gateway over it, but that's even more cost.

I disliked Dynamic for a long time because of how much unlicensed copyrighted material they reproduced. But now they've paid up for the Marvel license and are creating awesome discs that reach beyond the DG market and will get kids interested in DG. That's fantastic. I'd love to see some Star Wars discs too -- but there's Gateway stealing it for free. I think it's detrimental to the growth of disc golf to support thievery like that.

Preach it.

Well, here's a legit question. I've been interested in possibly getting the old Marvel, Iron Fist, Dragon logo on a disc. I can't dye, and would pay someone to do it.

Is there any way to have such a disc made totally legally, outside of going to Marvel, who would probably never reply to such a small request anyway? And I'm not just thinking Marvel here. It could be any logo or art that's the property of a big company.

And being in a totally different situation than Zam, I would love it if someone wanted to use something off of my old band's CD, Phantasm, "From the Attic." Of course, if someone started to make money off of it, then the thrill would probably fade into anger pretty quickly. And, yes, we did submit a trademark request to use Phantasm as the band name. :D

Really... And Jerry dying had nothing to do with there demise.. The Dead were almost always the top grossing touring band every year and made boatloads of cash I guess they just didn't give a crap as they were already making millions.

Jerry was also making more money of of his likeness per year than music royalties, too, so I guess he eventually got on board with controlling at least a portion of his IP.

Working in the media industry has only strengthened my belief in IP rights.

Our Designers are passionate about their work and should have protection for it.

Certain people will never understand the idea, of protecting ideas and creations.

They are usually the people who work mind-numbing jobs and can't appreciate creativity.

Certain people will never understand the idea, of protecting ideas and creations.

They are usually the people who work mind-numbing jobs and can't appreciate creativity.

Not necessarily. I teach studio art at the college level and far more people in music and visual art are skeptical or outright hostile to current expansion of IP laws. It has grown to the point where big corporations can force smaller companies or artists to abandon new ideas because they build off of previous ideas, or incorporate previous ideas to make new/more complex things. Since these are smaller companies or individuals that get sued, they can't fight the large corporations. The recent trend in IP laws is to sue if there is any resemblance at all. Also, many people are skeptical of the application of IP laws to living organisms/healthcare/education and other areas where sharing information for the common good has been the norm. I think IP laws are necessary for when smaller companies or artists work is appropriated, but they can also be used as a bullying tool if you have enough money. Even if you have a legitimately original idea/product/artwork, you can be forced off of your idea because of the cost of a lawsuit.

Last edited:
I was generalizing a little.

As is the case with many laws that were meant to protect the little guy, they eventually are used and abused by the so called big guys.

Historically making any kind of real money off of music or art is a drop of water in the ocean. If you can make money off your IP then good for you but in the long view it's not conventional, far from it. Enjoy it while it lasts because you're the extraordinary beneficiary of being born in the right place at the right time.

I seem to remember seeing some Wizards with Star Wars themed stamps recently. I asked a friend of mine who has been a graphic artist for over 20 years what the lawyers from Disney who took one cases like this were like. His only response was, "scary, very very scary."

To answer a photo that was posted earlier, "who gives a ____?" Well, I certainly don't but I'm going to be Gateway will when the cease and desist letters start raining in. Say, I wonder, how many have they received thus far? I'm going to bet at least one since that Star Wars run was mighty short.

-Dave

I seem to remember seeing some Wizards with Star Wars themed stamps recently. I asked a friend of mine who has been a graphic artist for over 20 years what the lawyers from Disney who took one cases like this were like. His only response was, "scary, very very scary."

To answer a photo that was posted earlier, "who gives a ____?" Well, I certainly don't but I'm going to be Gateway will when the cease and desist letters start raining in. Say, I wonder, how many have they received thus far? I'm going to bet at least one since that Star Wars run was mighty short.

-Dave
I believe there was a college DG course fundraiser Wizard run locally that was pulled from sale postings because the designs "borrowed" from another local company's logo / font. it was a shame to because the rest of the art looked good and might have (at least locally or to alumni) reached out of the disc golf world. some college students learned about IP laws, while the other local company learned that they have appeal in the DG community and have partnered up with their own custom stamps.

personally I won't buy their stamps until they show more support for the sport than making a quick buck off their logo. they also stepped in to block non-profit organization use (and free advertising). well within their rights to protect the brand, but seemed like the perfect example of where the bigger corporate interests could have made a new partner; instead the did the usual ho-hum move to protect their own (previously underground, upstart) corner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Now I'm not a disc maker, and I understand that Gateway's thing is making discs, and whatever artwork helps sell it is acceptable to them. But please understand that I think it's scummy as f-ck, that it's theft, it's slimy, it's the most illegitimate thing going on in disc golf today, and I have no respect for Gateway and Fringe offshoots who choose to steal property that *someone* out there created for their livelihood.

Either have an original idea, or pay the person who did, or get called out for the slimy f-cking thieves they are.

Church.

Even the "it's big corporations, they won't pay attention" argument falls squarely on deaf ears here. It's on principal. If you're going to premeditatively, intentionally make money on someone else's IP without permission, that's theft.

Well, here's a legit question. I've been interested in possibly getting the old Marvel, Iron Fist, Dragon logo on a disc. I can't dye, and would pay someone to do it.

Is there any way to have such a disc made totally legally, outside of going to Marvel, who would probably never reply to such a small request anyway? And I'm not just thinking Marvel here. It could be any logo or art that's the property of a big company.

And being in a totally different situation than Zam, I would love it if someone wanted to use something off of my old band's CD, Phantasm, "From the Attic." Of course, if someone started to make money off of it, then the thrill would probably fade into anger pretty quickly. And, yes, we did submit a trademark request to use Phantasm as the band name. :D

If it's personal use, just go for it. The issue at hand is regarding IP and commercial use.

Historically making any kind of real money off of music or art is a drop of water in the ocean. If you can make money off your IP then good for you but in the long view it's not conventional, far from it. Enjoy it while it lasts because you're the extraordinary beneficiary of being born in the right place at the right time.

Your posts are losing a lot of cred lately. Wtf?

I'd love a wizard stamped "Gateway sucks balls" in block letters

I'd like to see some other companies do direct rip offs of Gateway's original stamps and see what their reaction would be.

Latest posts