• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you want to see in an unsanctioned event that isnt allowed in a PDGA event

The idea is not to make longer holes, but existing holes become more reachable sometimes by players who can't reach them with a disc. As a test, I had two active women disc golfers (5+ years playing) over age 60 throw their drivers in an open field for distance. Their max throws are in the 120-135 ft range and they are unlikely to ever throw farther. When trying rings, they got to over 200 ft several times. Point being that the rings sometimes provide a way to level the playing field on holes that their skill level peers can reach with golf discs. It turns some holes into fairer technical challenges within a division versus favoring those who have the distance advantage but "equal" skills otherwise.

Note your own decline in distance typically starts around age 40. You have more total playing years ahead than you've likely played already. Considering I've played 33 years competitively, had I started at age 20, I would have already more than doubled my years playing after age 36 than before. Maybe rings should officially be allowed once players reach age 40?

I'm master's age, and have definitely lost a little bit of zip on my fastball. I'd happily bag rings (and my modded firebirds) at any tournament that would let me.

Falling putts allowed (since that is still a bad habit of mine, and one reason I don't play in tournaments).

I'm master's age, and have definitely lost a little bit of zip on my fastball. I'd happily bag rings (and my modded firebirds) at any tournament that would let me.

Care to elaborate?

Magic Mushrooms anyone?

e1b673be9800.jpg

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Mycelium_Open_2022

Care to elaborate?

When I was an undergrad and had friends in the Aerospace Engineering dep't (I studied Civil) who had access to a wind tunnel, we messed around with cutting different hole configurations in the tops of dx firebirds and seeing how they would fly. We also reflexed the inner part of the ring on a few with a hot knife which brought back some stability but was not terribly durable; tinkered around with adding material on the inside of the rim (kind of a plus-type configuration to move the CoG further back in the wing). They were somewhat sensitive to launch angle and speed (at least significantly more so than a stock max weight firebird) but at a low-60s arm speed and a slight nose-down angle, would go a lot farther than anything else in my bag on a golf line (Wraiths were the fastest thing on the market at the time).

I didn't see a market at the time -- aerobie had the recreational flying ring market cornered and I didn't figure out a pathway to PDGA approval, nor did I have much access to capital at the time to develop the endless prototypes that we wanted to -- so this has kinda been sitting for the past 15 years.

How are we over 50 posts in and nobody has mentioned that they would want to see......

SMALLER BASKETS!

:p

I've got a Gateway Bullseye that's been collecting dust in the garage for the past two years...

Here's an idea for an unsanctioned event...I've wondered how to handle divisions and sand bagging issues. What if there was a tiered payout system to determine divisions? It would work like this:

Division / % of Payout

Gold / 50%
Silver / 30%
Bronze / 20%
Trophy / 0% <-- This division would have a reduced entry fee since they are not contributing to the overall payout and are trophy only

So players would have to choose which division and make a educated guess as to which division they have a shot at winning some of the payout. Better players are going to go for the Gold. Other players (like me) would just say eff-it I'll play in Bronze since I don't have a shot at winning anything anyways.

Let everyone be able to switch divisions on their own right up to the day before the tournament.

I am not entirely convinced on this idea but on the surface it seems like it might work out in entertaining ways.

-Dave

Here's an idea for an unsanctioned event...I've wondered how to handle divisions and sand bagging issues. What if there was a tiered payout system to determine divisions? It would work like this:

Division / % of Payout

Gold / 50%
Silver / 30%
Bronze / 20%
Trophy / 0% <-- This division would have a reduced entry fee since they are not contributing to the overall payout and are trophy only

So players would have to choose which division and make a educated guess as to which division they have a shot at winning some of the payout. Better players are going to go for the Gold. Other players (like me) would just say eff-it I'll play in Bronze since I don't have a shot at winning anything anyways.

Let everyone be able to switch divisions on their own right up to the day before the tournament.

I am not entirely convinced on this idea but on the surface it seems like it might work out in entertaining ways.

-Dave

Structural counter-bagging measures are good.

I have considered varying the payout depth by division:

Open 30%
ADV 40%
INT 50%
REC 60%
NOV 70%

Bigger prizes in higher divisions without transferring prize money between divisions.

For an otherwise "normal" tournament where you are trying for the best score, on a course with dual baskets per hole (or add temp baskets to accomplish the same thing), let players finish in either basket. They don't have to choose ahead of time, and can switch on any shot. You park the "wrong" basket, who cares, drop-in birdie! Is the B basket further away but suits your shot shape, or stance, or whatever? Go for it!

I'd also like to see a non-sanctioned event without payout, so there is no overall incentive for best score. Put all the money towards a big ace pool and a whole bunch of fun contests on individual holes, but where they still require you to try to throw at least one good shot. Even more fun when you don't tell players ahead of time what the contest is until they read a sign on each hole. We're all familiar with standard CTPs, but vary those and also try some others where people can be creative:

CTPs with only rollers, overhands, etc.

Add some portable basket(s) on side(s) of regular basket on a hole or two to increase chance of aces.

Longest birdie (or par) putt made: Don't try to park it, but leave yourself a long but somewhat makeable putt. Or just another incentive to make the ace run and not worry as much about the length of the comeback putt.

Birdie putt made from closest to the water or OB: You can't just intentionally get wet or go OB first, as you still have the penalty throw.

Straightest drive: Start the line a certain distance down the fairway so it's not essentially just a putt.

Latest posts