• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What you putt with and why

MVP Ions because i can use them for everything and i like that they don't beat in so fast so i can develop more consistency with them.

I started with an Aviar - I used that until I did a Birdie Bash and discovered the Summit. I love the feel of a shallow putter. I developed a relation with Westside discs (Warship, Underworld, Tursas), and decided to try a Swan 2, and it was a lot like the Summit, but I was having more success with it. This winter I've been using the Summit again, and making some gravy with it.

Summit and Swan is where I'm at. I would like to try the Warden, based on the raves from my local dealer. I've also putzed around with Anode, Ion, Pure, VP, Sole. Pure seems like the best driving putter I've tried, although the MVPs are nice too. So are the Vibrams.

Aw hell, I like em all!

Rhynos - putting into a headwind, drives, upshots and putts that I need to hyzer
Tanks - Anything straight and inside the circle, very reliable putters
86 Softies - Uphill, tailwind, outside the circle, or putts that I need to flex right

These cover every putt that I encounter, and I like to have some sort of texture on the top of the disc for the added grip when putting!

I found 10 wizards for $6 a piece, so that's what I practice putting with and thats what I use for putting during game time ... I guess I am used to it now since I practice putting at least 30 min a day for the past three weeks (well, almost every day).

I did try a PA2 and I did like it for longer putts, but it was hard to beat $6 Wizards. My first putter was a Birdie which I quickly used as a trade-in for another disc.

I am trying out a Summit now simply because I like the way Vibram feels and grips. Just had my first organized event, the Vibram Birdie Bash where I could only use Vibram discs and that Summit flew straight!

~ edd

bb aviar star. pointer finger lays just right in the bead........but i have always wanted a putter that i like better for driving as the bb hangs up on drives. i think i have found the one in a summit . great thrower for around 250 on a string and wobbles on putts. great for turbo putting also.

I love the way the Judge feels in my hand. Perfect fit for me. I have it in classic, but I'm hoping to grab some blends or softs once I figure out which to get.

SSS Wizard, real grippy one. Can't seem to find another like it.. I have been practicing with strawberry mercys, and might switch over.

Nova, because I'm a horrible at putting. I like the rigidity of the flight plate (I find they fly smoother) and the soft rubber outer that grabs the chains. Also when I miss (...a lot) it tends to just sit. Seems to favor my loftier putting style.

Yeti Pro Aviar. I like the concave, since it gives the illusion of being a very low profile disc. Nice, fairly grippy plastic, especially in warm weather. It's a solid putter for putting, up shots, driving, and (my specialty) short range FH rollers, which are very good for getting out if trouble.
The R-Pro Dart has not left my bag yet, it's not bad for putting, but I mostly use it for approach shots where I'm a bit too far to be comfortable using my Aviar but too close to throw a Roc.

I've been putting with a 177g Neutron Ion and the reason why is that I only had one putter for a long time (FLX Challenger) which I love but I decided to get another putter. After some deliberation I decided to try an Ion.

I like the Ion, it honestly doesn't fly any differently from my Challenger inside the circle except it seems to have less glide. Also the Ion likes to roll sometimes so that is my only complaint.

I've been putting with a 177g Neutron Ion and the reason why is that I only had one putter for a long time (FLX Challenger) which I love but I decided to get another putter. After some deliberation I decided to try an Ion.

I like the Ion, it honestly doesn't fly any differently from my Challenger inside the circle except it seems to have less glide. Also the Ion likes to roll sometimes so that is my only complaint.

From my experience really anything inside the circle can hit putts. Hell I have missed a putt with a putter only to pick up the disc off the ground a drill the putt. 50-100' sure it takes some touch and putter confidence but I have seen way too many a n00bs ace a hole that says its more luck than skill when we are talking about 100' but hitting a 30' just takes practice.

Ive always putted with Banger GT's. It was the first putter I got, and its just been a confidence thing now, where I am comfortable with it within the circle. I have been using a Judge for outside the circle, and it is magic. It is smooth for spin putting and is a stellar driving putter.

I putt with an N Ion that I bought the day Neutron plastic came out. I actually dug through the box in the shop after UPS got there.

It's black, and though I already had a P Ion that I was into, I bought the Neutron because it looked awesome, like Darth Vader's mask. Now it's seasoned into a really grippy disc that feels incredible in the hand. And I'm so familiar with it that I'm very confident putting with it. I've been putting better than ever lately, and a lot of that has to do with my confidence in this disc.

I use Wizards in SS-RFF plastic. They are stable, easy to use, and the bead helps me grip them consistently. They hold the chains very well and are quite durable. Even when the plastic becomes scuffed the flight path changes little.